Old 05-08-2008, 12:04 PM
Owner

Panthers Sign 2007 First Rounder Keaton Ellerby

SUNRISE, Fla. – Florida Panthers General Manager Jacques Martin announced today that the club has agreed to terms on an entry level contract with D Keaton Ellerby.

Ellerby, 19, played in 53 games with the Moose Jaw Warriors of the Western Hockey League after being traded from Kamloops, for Panthers prospect RW Brady Calla, 16 games into the 2007-08 season. With Moose Jaw, Ellerby had two goals and 21 assists with a plus-6 rating and 81 penalty minutes. In five playoff games this spring for the Warriors, Ellerby has two assists and 15 penalty minutes.

“Keaton is a young, talented and strong defenseman who skates and handles the puck well,” said Martin. “We are very pleased to have signed Keaton and look forward to his continued development and growth into a complete player, who will have the opportunity to compete for a spot on our hockey club.”

The 6-foot-4, 188-pound defensemen, played for Team Canada at the 2007 Canada/Russia Superseries and was the Panthers first round pick (10th overall) in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft.
Advertisement
Old 05-08-2008, 01:57 PM
Veteran

overrated
Old 05-08-2008, 05:48 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitzGerald28 View Post
overrated
He's a defensive guy, so don't judge him on his stats. He needs to bulk up before he'll have a shot of making an impact at the NHL level, but if he can put on a few pounds he could well prove to be a solid guy on the back end.

Granted the Panthers need more help offensively than defensively (they gave up the least goals of any non-playoff team, by a large margin) but any additional help that Vokun can get will be huge for the Cats. They win a few more of their close games and they're in the playoffs. Don't discount the impact Ellerby could potentially have just yet. However, he is still a few seasons from being NHL ready, I'll give you that much.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:08 AM
Hall of Famer

At 6'4 and only 188 pounds he probably needs a lot of time in the minors before he can compete in the NHL.
This forum is full of people that suffer from post-pubertal showing-off affectations...
Old 05-09-2008, 09:23 AM
Veteran

I am not judging his stats I watched him play for 3 years. The guy started out well playing physical dropping the gloves and hitting. The last two years he thought he was ray bourque or paul coffey and got away from what made him a good looking prospect.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:11 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paint huffer View Post
He's a defensive guy, so don't judge him on his stats. He needs to bulk up before he'll have a shot of making an impact at the NHL level, but if he can put on a few pounds he could well prove to be a solid guy on the back end.

Granted the Panthers need more help offensively than defensively (they gave up the least goals of any non-playoff team, by a large margin) but any additional help that Vokun can get will be huge for the Cats. They win a few more of their close games and they're in the playoffs. Don't discount the impact Ellerby could potentially have just yet. However, he is still a few seasons from being NHL ready, I'll give you that much.
I know. The Panthers lost so many games in the last 5 minutes! If they would have won them, they probably would have made it in the playoffs this year.