Go Back   hockeyfights.com forums > NHL Forums > Player Movement & Rumors

Old 07-12-2012, 06:27 PM
News Junkie

Panthers Prospect Nick Bjugstad Returning to Minnesota (NCAA) For Junior Season

Minnesota junior Nick Bjugstad announced today that he is returning to the Golden Gopher hockey team for the 2012-13 season.

"This is the right spot for me," said Bjugstad. "I am going to be close to finishing my education and hopefully can accomplish the goal that I have had ever since I was little, which is winning a national championship. We are going to have a good team this year and hopefully get another chance at the national championship and make a run there. I feel I can develop here and become more of a leader on the team as well. Hopefully, I will have a good season."

The 65, 211-pound center from Blaine, Minn., was named All-WCHA First Team and Second-Team All-American after recording 42 points in 40 games as a sophomore. He led Minnesota with 25 goals (tied for fifth in the nation) and also added 17 assists as he finished third on the team in points. His 25 goals were the most scored by a Gopher since Ryan Potulny had 38 in 2005-06. Minnesota was 20-6-1 when he had a point last season.

Bjugstad, who will turn 20 next Tuesday, recorded 21 of his points (9g-12a) in 16 road games and he had a point in 13 of 16 games away from Mariucci Arena. He was +21 on the season and tied for second on the team in power-play goals (8). He also led the team in shooting percentage (17.2%) and faceoffs (of players who have taken more than 50 faceoffs) with a 57.9% success rate.

"We are obviously excited Nick is returning," said coach Don Lucia. "I think Nick felt that he had a little bit more room to grow as a person and as a player. The great thing is that at the end of his junior year is that he will be very close to graduating college. He can be a leader on our team and he feels he can continue to get better in our program. He made great strides his first two years and we are confident he is going to make great strides during his junior year."

Bjugstad, who was a first-round selection of the Florida Panthers in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft, was named the national Player of the Month for November after recording 13 points and nine goals. He was also named the WCHA Offensive Player of the Week for Nov. 22.
The Following User Says Thank You to chilly666 For This Useful Post:
Mclaren14 (07-12-2012)
Advertisement

Tags
florida panthers, minnesota golden gophers, nick bjugstad