hockeyfights.com forums

hockeyfights.com forums (http://www.hockeyfights.com/forums/)
-   Player Movement & Rumors (http://www.hockeyfights.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Maple Leafs Sign Andrew MacWilliam to Entry-Level Contract (http://www.hockeyfights.com/forums/f15/maple-leafs-sign-andrew-macwilliam-entry-level-contract-184969/)

chilly666 04-03-2013 06:15 PM

Maple Leafs Sign Andrew MacWilliam to Entry-Level Contract

Dave Nonis, Senior Vice-President and General Manager of the Toronto Maple Leafs, announced Wednesday that the hockey club has signed defenceman Andrew MacWilliam to a two-year entry level contract.

MacWilliam, 23, was selected by the Maple Leafs in the seventh round, 188th overall, in the 2008 Entry Draft. In 2012-13, he served as Captain of the University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association (WCHA), playing 41 games and leading the WCHA in penalty minutes (116). MacWilliam also registered two goals and 11 assists for 13 points with a plus-13 rating this season.

The 6-2, 230-pound native of Calgary, Alberta played 163 games with North Dakota over four seasons (2009-10 to 2012-13), collecting 31 points on four goals and 27 assists with 327 penalty minutes and a plus-37 rating. MacWilliam was named to the WCHA’s All-Academic Team in three consecutive seasons (2010-11 to 2012-13).

The Dougler 04-03-2013 07:32 PM

Haw yeah. I'm pretty pumped for this guy. Now hopefully Eakins uses him and not his usual retreads

bajo39 04-03-2013 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dougler (Post 2597293)
Haw yeah. I'm pretty pumped for this guy. Now hopefully Eakins uses him and not his usual retreads

Is he tough? Devane fought today and I hate to say it because he's young and could still grow into a legitimate enforcer but he embarrassed the team and himself by losing to a smaller opponent in a less than enthusiastic and not at all skilful display. Marlies have almost no toughness, although I'm hopeful about Crescenzi

leafs_fan77 04-03-2013 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bajo39 (Post 2597392)
Is he tough? Devane fought today and I hate to say it because he's young and could still grow into a legitimate enforcer but he embarrassed the team and himself by losing to a smaller opponent in a less than enthusiastic and not at all skilful display. Marlies have almost no toughness, although I'm hopeful about Crescenzi

Calling that fight embarrassing is a huge stretch.

Anyways, about MacWilliam... I don't know much about him but I looked up his fight card on dyg.com and in the AJHL he put him 7-8 fights a year. Always love a Dman who is willing to drop the gloves.

chilly666 04-03-2013 09:37 PM

this is what he can do to opponents coming across the middle

http://www.hockeyfights.com/forums/f...player-184016/

The Dougler 04-03-2013 09:43 PM

Yeah I thought the Devane/Maggio fight was pretty close but that's just me I guess. Devane has been good this year, he just needs consistent ice time without having to worry about being a scratch. Not to mention there aren't a lot of HWs in the division and conference.

MacWilliam is tough no doubt. Hits hard and will probably ditch the flippers now and then as well. He put up 200+ PIMs in the AJHL and as leafsfan mentioned put up a few tilts every year. I've seen him compared to Matt Greene but I don't catch many NCAA games so maybe someone else can chime in cus I'd be talking out of my ass if I said much more.

The Leafs/Marlies have a good amount of toughness coming up through the system. Barring guys being sent back for OA years or the ECHL, they should have Devane, Sam Carrick, Andrew MacWilliam, David Broll, Tyler Biggs, Brad Ross as well as Ryan Rupert still playing in London. That's as much toughness depth as any organization I think. So let's hope that this year is an anomaly, Eakins is no Carlyle that's for sure.

I hoped Crescenzi would be a bit more physical but he seems content finishing his checks and not mixing it up too much. Maybe it'll come but it's up to him in the end. I still think he can be a good 3rd or 4th line centre who can win some draws and chip in on the PK

dp 04-03-2013 09:53 PM

I heard Devane has a bad back right now, for many of those scratched games he's been unable to play.

Broll should play soon so we should be ok

The Dougler 04-03-2013 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dp (Post 2597435)
I heard Devane has a bad back right now, for many of those scratched games he's been unable to play.

Broll should play soon so we should be ok

Oh yeah? I hadn't heard that. If there is one thing that sketches me out about Devane, it's his ability to stay healthy

rondo 04-03-2013 10:06 PM

Watched MacWilliam play four years at North Dakota . The guy was a force physically the last two seasons. He skates well for a big man and is a good open ice hitter. He skates better than Greene but Greene probably hadled the puck a little better. Did not see him fight because rules in college don't allow fighting (game disqualification) and he was way to valuable.

Could see him being a 5-7 d man after a year in the AHL.

I_am_Belak_2 04-03-2013 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dougler (Post 2597445)
Oh yeah? I hadn't heard that. If there is one thing that sketches me out about Devane, it's his ability to stay healthy

Reminders of Greenop?

The Dougler 04-03-2013 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I_am_Belak_2 (Post 2597487)
Reminders of Greenop?

No, not in terms of concussions or anything but in his first few rookie/training camps he'd always seem to come down with a random injury. Hand and foot injuries and things that always seemed to prevent him from getting into an exhibition game or getting a groove. He got hurt last season in camp and it put him behind the 8 ball and he was sent back for his OA year.

I was just hoping for him to get in and play 70+ games this year and actually develop a bit, it's been a bit of a wasted year with all the scratches.

skacore 04-03-2013 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bajo39 (Post 2597392)

Wtf? He hardly lost his fight today... it was a draw at worst and although Maggio may not be a regular AHL heavy, he does fight quite frequently... hardly embarrassing.

dp 04-04-2013 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dougler (Post 2597515)
I was just hoping for him to get in and play 70+ games this year and actually develop a bit, it's been a bit of a wasted year with all the scratches.

My hope too, but it's not like he was going to crack the Leafs next year. Orr and McLaren look pretty solid in the enforcer role.

The lockout and the ECHL stint screwed it up for Devane, but there will be next year for the Marlies which should be a full season. The good news is that Devane is getting some points, (he got an assist today) so he might turn into and enforcer who gets some points, which is a good thing.

Devane, Broll and Biggs could be killer for the Marlies next year. I am looking forward to it.

bajo39 04-04-2013 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skacore (Post 2597554)
Wtf? He hardly lost his fight today... it was a draw at worst and although Maggio may not be a regular AHL heavy, he does fight quite frequently... hardly embarrassing.

Okay well all of you seem to agree that it was a draw or close loss so we'll go with that but it happened right in front of me and both me and the guy I was with were both underwhelmed but I guess we're just spoiled from the days of Fraser and what the big club is putting out.

I hope he does he get more serious about his fight game tho because he looks like he can play - would love to see him develop in the same mould as Markus Foligno. Seems to me like Crescenzi might have more potential in that regard...

bajo39 04-04-2013 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rondo (Post 2597459)
Watched MacWilliam play four years at North Dakota . The guy was a force physically the last two seasons. He skates well for a big man and is a good open ice hitter. He skates better than Greene but Greene probably hadled the puck a little better. Did not see him fight because rules in college don't allow fighting (game disqualification) and he was way to valuable.

Could see him being a 5-7 d man after a year in the AHL.

Can't wait to see him, thanks for this!