Go Back   hockeyfights.com forums > NHL Forums > Player Movement & Rumors
match

Old 09-12-2007, 12:20 PM
Content Team

Maple Leafs' Bell Suspended 15 Regular-Season Games

NEW YORK -- Toronto Maple Leafs forward Mark Bell has been suspended without pay for 15 regular-season games, Commissioner Gary Bettman announced today, for having engaged in and acknowledging conduct deemed to be "dishonorable, prejudicial to or against the welfare of the League or the game of hockey," in violation of National Hockey League By-Law 17.

"Playing in the National Hockey League is a privilege, and with that privilege comes a corresponding responsibility for exemplary conduct off the ice as well as on it," Commissioner Bettman said. "Mark Bell will serve jail time following the 2007-08 season after pleading to felony and misdemeanor charges stemming from an alcohol-related automobile accident that caused an injury. He also left the scene of the accident. Such conduct is a violation of our covenant with our fans, and to the game, and is prejudicial to the welfare of the League.

"However, over the past year, Mark has made extraordinary strides in his rehabilitation. This positive progress was a material factor in reducing what could have been a lengthier suspension,” Commissioner Bettman added. “The NHL supports Mark’s commitment to learning from his past mistakes and his efforts to move his life forward in a positive direction.”

The term of Bell’s By-Law 17 suspension will begin once his reinstatement to active status is recommended by the doctors who administer his care under the joint Substance Abuse and Behavioral Health program (the “SABH” program) of the NHL and NHL Players’ Association. Bell will be permitted to participate in all practices and training sessions with his team during the term of his suspension.

Bell recently pleaded no contest in California to charges of driving under the influence of alcohol and hit-and-run.

Bylaw 17 reads as follows: "If in the opinion of the Commissioner...any act or the conduct of an official of a Member Club or player or employee...has been dishonorable, prejudicial to or against the welfare of the League or the game of hockey, he may expel or suspend such person.

Last edited by Thrillhouse; 09-12-2007 at 12:28 PM.
Advertisement
Old 09-12-2007, 12:46 PM

Wow Bettman. If I had the chance I would bury this guy alive
Old 09-12-2007, 02:21 PM
Hall of Famer

retarded....what did Heatley get? Don't mean to compare...but Bell has been drink free since the initial incident.
Ezekiel 25:17
Old 09-12-2007, 04:01 PM
Coach

Bell gets 10 less than Simon since it wasnt on the ice i guess, so stupid.
"It's huge when guys are sticking up for each other," Rechlicz said. "It's more of a team bonding thing. I think it's great, and that's the style we've got to play. Guys come together, and it's like your family out there ... That's what it's all about. If you mess with one of our guys, you're going to mess with five of them. That's just the way it's going to go."
Old 09-12-2007, 04:12 PM
All-Star

This is bull**** once again Bettman drops the ball The guy has been an oustanding part of the community since the accident and what do you do to reward him suspend him for something that happened over a year ago. Bettman is just trying to appease writers who don't ven watch hockey. Heatly killed somebody in the same type of circumstances and didn't get ****. And look at Briggs in the NFL who did something similar just didn't hit somebody hit a telephone poll with no suspension.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:09 PM
Pro

no one cares about lance briggs. That is stupid that he gave him 15 games.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:47 PM
Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandymeer13 View Post
This is bull**** once again Bettman drops the ball The guy has been an oustanding part of the community since the accident and what do you do to reward him suspend him for something that happened over a year ago. Bettman is just trying to appease writers who don't ven watch hockey...
That is exactly right. (And no I'm not just saying that because I have Bell on my fantasy team. Hehehe). I understand that you can't suspend him a year ago as he wasn't officially guilty until around a month ago, but this was handed down because of the increased attention this story has received in the recent weeks.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:57 PM
Hall of Famer

Without a doubt this is Gary Bettman's attempt to follow suit with what's going on in National Football League right now in terms of discipline for non-sports related transgressions by athletes.

The only difference is that the players who're getting suspended in the NFL actually DESERVE their punishments; and by the NHL doing this, they will not receive any more respect from the sports fans in the United States. For at the end of the day, the NHL doesn't have a player conduct problem -- they have an exposure & interest problem. And for whatever reason, Gary Bettman just doesn't get that.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:43 PM
Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandymeer13 View Post
Heatly killed somebody in the same type of circumstances and didn't get ****.
Heatley's BAC was below the legal limit if I remember correctly. That does make the circumstances at least legally different.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:37 PM
Hall of Famer

Big city attention, if Bell was on the Preds or say still the Sharks, I really really doubt his punishment would be so harsh.

Everyone was saying no problem, he wont even miss a game.
Ezekiel 25:17
Old 09-12-2007, 10:42 PM
Hall of Famer

Why this would surprise anyone is pathetic. Why should hockey players be exempt from the law?

Bettman is right by calling it a privelage!

Credo in unum Deum. Non est ad astra mollis e terris via.

08-09 Ball Hockey Stats: 14GP -0G -6A-56PIM
Old 09-12-2007, 10:48 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames_Suck44 View Post
Why this would surprise anyone is pathetic. Why should hockey players be exempt from the law?

Bettman is right by calling it a privelage!
What else is Bettman saying -- seeing as how you're on your knees in front of him.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:51 PM
Hall of Famer

What a f*cken joke.

Jay Bouwmeester pleaded guilty for a DUI just a couple of f*cking weeks ago in Edmonton. Where th f*ck is his 15 games? This really p*sses me off.

NFL has Vick. Basketball has a point shaving controversy. Baseball has steroids. I guess in Bettman's eyes the NHL has Mark Bell. I mean give me a f*cking break. How many people outside the hockey world even know who Mark Bell is? How many people outside the hockey world even know what hockey is? Bettman's a f*cking idiot. In his fan base world of soccer moms and Nancy boys, this rendering will be accepted with open arms. Pathetic.

- Sloth
Old 09-13-2007, 12:34 AM
Hall of Famer

Eh.

While I don't like suspending a player on the ice for something that happened off the ice, I can understand the reasoning and the depth of the punishment. Again, I don't agree with it, but I'm not gonna crucify Bettman in this particular case... I'll get him for something else.

The thing is, if Joe Blow did something like this, he'd probably spend time in jail. The only reason Bell isn't in jail is because he plays in the NHL. So, it would seem fair that the leverage he used to avoid jail time, is used as a counter-balance and a means of punishment. Do I agree with it? Not really. I think Bell should've did the jail time and missed however many games occured while he was in jail. Just like I would miss however many days of work, while I was in jail for a similar crime.

It's just pathetic that a rule like this even needs to be in place. Its sad that Bettman can't intelligently utilize it, too.
"With women, it's always one of two things. Either they won't sleep with you, and then there's really no need to ever call them again. Or they DO sleep with you... and then there's really no need to ever call them again. "
Old 09-13-2007, 09:08 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
While I don't like suspending a player on the ice for something that happened off the ice, I can understand the reasoning and the depth of the punishment. Again, I don't agree with it, but I'm not gonna crucify Bettman in this particular case... I'll get him for something else.

The thing is, if Joe Blow did something like this, he'd probably spend time in jail. The only reason Bell isn't in jail is because he plays in the NHL. So, it would seem fair that the leverage he used to avoid jail time, is used as a counter-balance and a means of punishment. Do I agree with it? Not really. I think Bell should've did the jail time and missed however many games occured while he was in jail. Just like I would miss however many days of work, while I was in jail for a similar crime.

It's just pathetic that a rule like this even needs to be in place. Its sad that Bettman can't intelligently utilize it, too.
Actually, for offences like the one Bell was charged with, these days a lot of judges sentence people to serve their time on weekends so that they don't in fact lose their jobs. Bell WILL serve his 6 months after the season is over, and will pay the "victim" millions in restitution. Why is that not enough?

Gary Bettman is trying to show the world that the NHL is responsible in handling it's "misguided" athletes, unlike other sports leagues we know. The problem is that the world doesn't care about Mark Bell or hockey, and Bettman's "point" actually isn't being made to anyone.

Michael Vick - Front page news in most major cities

Baseball and steroids - Front page news in most major cities

Basketball's referee point shaving scandal - Front page news in most major cities

Mark Bell and his accident - Page 5 of the sports section underneath the Highschool Gymnastics injury update in most major cities.

This only further proves how inept Gary Bettman really is. Bell was suspended for conduct that was in "violation of our covenant with our fans, and to the game, and is prejudicial to the welfare of the League."

So I guess it's okay for Dany Heatley to kill Dan Snyder. Driving wrecklessly and killing someone apparently didn't violate the covenant with the fans. Maybe because he wasn't drunk?

Jay Bouwmeester pleads guilty to drunk driving. I guess he didn't violate the covenant with the fans because he didn't crash.

So as I see it, you can drink and drive, as long as you don't crash. But it's okay to drive dangerously and crash, as long as you're not drunk. See Bell did both, so obviously that's what violated the covenant with the fans. Bullsh*t.

- Sloth