Go Back   hockeyfights.com forums > NHL Forums > Player Movement & Rumors

Old 12-29-2008, 02:38 PM
Hall of Famer

Lemieux takes another step toward NHL comeback

Quote:
The San Jose Sharks signed forward Claude Lemieux to a two-way contract on Monday. Per team policy, terms of the deal were not released.

The 43-year-old, who has not played in the NHL since the 2002-03 season, has been attempting a comeback and has played for San Jose's American Hockey League affiliate in Worcester for the past month, notching two goals and four assist in 14 games.

The new contract allows San Jose to bring him up to the NHL as long as he is not claimed by noon on Tuesday by another team under the waiver rules.

"This is simply the next step in the evaluation process with Claude," said San Jose general manager Doug Wilson.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=2612...headlines_main
The Following User Says Thank You to Killah_punk For This Useful Post:
KordicNilanRoberge (12-30-2008)
Advertisement
Old 12-29-2008, 02:52 PM
Super All-Star

Who is Claude Lemieux?

"It takes four rounds of the playoffs -- 16 wins in as many as 28 games -- and these players were up to that grueling test and set some impressive records along the way." -- U.S. President George W. Bush

In Hoke We Trust
Old 12-29-2008, 03:02 PM
Clever admin title

Found him!

He still hasn't learned how to come out though...
MN Wild Team Forum
RIP Bob "Probie" Probert - 7/5/2010
RIP Derek "Boogie Man" Boogaard - 5/13/2011
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to JKidd For This Useful Post:
CapsFan99 (12-30-2008), chilly666 (12-30-2008), Dave_42 (12-30-2008), FightingIsGood (12-30-2008), goaliefighter (12-29-2008), Habs # 1 (12-30-2008), HordiBrusk29 (12-29-2008), Manimal (01-02-2009), UKRedWing (12-29-2008), Viper207 (12-29-2008), Webby1517 (12-29-2008)
Old 12-29-2008, 03:39 PM
Coach

I still don't understand this. This is far from a guarantee Lemieux will make it back to the NHL, and I haven't really seen him play in the AHL during this comeback trail, but I can't imagine his footspeed is very good these days.

The Sharks are still doing well so I don't understand why they'd even burden themselves with this situation. I've heard the argument that Lemieux is a proven playoff performer, and San Jose is a team that never seems to be able to make it over the hump in the postseason, but trying to rekindle the magic a guy who hasn't played in the NHL in years had over a decade ago...that would just be irrational. I can't imagine that's it, so I'm still confused.
Mike Kole (12-30-2008)
Old 12-29-2008, 03:43 PM
Super All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles4life View Post
I still don't understand this. This is far from a guarantee Lemieux will make it back to the NHL, and I haven't really seen him play in the AHL during this comeback trail, but I can't imagine his footspeed is very good these days.
The Sharks are still doing well so I don't understand why they'd even burden themselves with this situation. I've heard the argument that Lemieux is a proven playoff performer, and San Jose is a team that never seems to be able to make it over the hump in the postseason, but trying to rekindle the magic a guy who hasn't played in the NHL in years had over a decade ago...that would just be irrational. I can't imagine that's it, so I'm still confused.
Even during his prime he was a slow skater. He's average at best when it comes to the speed department.
"It takes four rounds of the playoffs -- 16 wins in as many as 28 games -- and these players were up to that grueling test and set some impressive records along the way." -- U.S. President George W. Bush

In Hoke We Trust
Old 12-29-2008, 03:48 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles4life View Post

I forget who it was and where I read it, but one writer covering the AHL Sharks said Lemieux was looking leaner and in better shape than he was 10 years ago, and playing well in the A so far.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:57 PM
Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skorka85 View Post
I forget who it was and where I read it, but one writer covering the AHL Sharks said Lemieux was looking leaner and in better shape than he was 10 years ago, and playing well in the A so far.
That's an interesting evaluation, but I'd expect a 43-year-old trying to make a comeback to have worked hard enough to be in pretty good shape. I still don't think he would be anything more than a fringe NHLer at the very best at this point, so I don't understand why a winning team like the Sharks would even bother.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:25 PM
Hall of Famer

f*ck it, good for him...has a passion for hockey and wants to come back. Good on him for taking an effort.

Can't really understand why the Sharks would do that, but they are...if you were him you'd take the oppurtunity as well.
CapsFan99 (12-30-2008), leafs_fan77 (12-29-2008)
Old 12-29-2008, 04:38 PM
Hall of Famer

Go Claude!
Old 12-29-2008, 04:43 PM
Coach

If he keeps playing like he has in the AHL lately, he's not going to be making the NHL anytime soon. If you think he's going to be a pest, he's been anything but with Worcester so far.
"The biggest message he gave me is you better make an impact in a game every night. If you haven't made an impact late in a game, if you haven't blocked a shot, made a big hit, had a goal, you'd better grab someone and fight someone to make sure everybody in that building knew you played that night."
- Zenon Konopka on his mentor/coach John Brophy
Old 12-29-2008, 05:10 PM
Hall of Famer

someone should post pics of his stanley cup rings.
CapsFan99 (12-30-2008), forsberg21 (12-30-2008), The_Sheriff (12-30-2008)
Old 12-29-2008, 05:38 PM
Hall of Famer

Wow I cant believe he might actually make it back. Maybe he will get in a game with McCarty. Those good old days are gone now but fun to remember and read books about it.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:06 PM
Super All-Star

Well,

if anything, this could make the wings and sharks games that much more intresting
Old 12-30-2008, 03:19 AM
Hall of Famer

As far as im concerned Lemieux redeemed himself for the turtle right here... on red wing ice like always for some reason... .

YouTube - Darren McCarty vs. Claude Lemieux

And just for fun...

YouTube - Darren "The Turtle"...

The Following User Says Thank You to forsberg21 For This Useful Post:
Dave_42 (12-30-2008)
Old 12-30-2008, 03:22 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsberg21 View Post
As far as im concerned Lemieux redeemed himself for the turtle right here... on red wing ice like always for some reason... .

YouTube - Darren McCarty vs. Claude Lemieux

And just for fun...

YouTube - Darren "The Turtle" McCarty

HA HA!

McCarty turtled.