Go Back   hockeyfights.com forums > NHL Forums > Player Movement & Rumors

Old 11-29-2012, 10:54 AM
News Junkie

Josh Harding Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis

Quote:
Harding, 28, has been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis, an incurable autoimmune disease in which the body randomly attacks and eats away the protective lining of his nerves and causes them to scar. It causes problems with balance, fatigue and blurred vision. There are 25,000 new cases diagnosed in the United States every year.

"I had a couple days where I felt bad for myself, but no more," said Harding, who plans on continuing his career. "There's things in life that happen. Sometimes you can't explain it. You deal with it."

After keeping the disease private from everyone other than his immediate family for more than a month, Harding began calling friends Wednesday. He spoke to nearly every one of his teammates. He called Wild General Manager Chuck Fletcher and coach Mike Yeo.

"Josh's competitive fire has led him to a successful career in the NHL and we know he will approach this new battle in the same manner," Fletcher said.

And Harding has made clear that MS will not end his career.
Full Article
Advertisement
Old 11-29-2012, 11:44 AM
Pro

this is so bad... i have a uncle that has it and cant do much thing

i give him 3 yrs and he will not be able to play normally after 2 yrs after diagnose you have minor problems than major problems will come like not able to walk or grab object and you cant stop deterioration until you die.

Last edited by habsfan1122; 11-29-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:46 AM
Hall of Famer

Damn shame. Hope he can a few more seasons in if that's what he wants to do.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:01 PM
Clever admin title

My heart goes out to Josh. He's had such a hard luck career with season ending injuries, and now he gets hit with what will amount to a career ending illness.

Best of luck to Hards in this, it's going to be a hell of a fight, but he's been doing that his whole career already.
MN Wild Team Forum
RIP Bob "Probie" Probert - 7/5/2010
RIP Derek "Boogie Man" Boogaard - 5/13/2011
Old 11-29-2012, 02:09 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKidd View Post
Best of luck to Hards in this, it's going to be a hell of a fight, but he's been doing that his whole career already.
I don't know why, but this statement really bothers me.

Anyways, good luck to Harding, sh*tty break.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:24 PM
Hall of Famer

Best of luck to Josh Harding.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:25 PM
Clever admin title

Quote:
Originally Posted by flex_buff_chest View Post
I don't know why, but this statement really bothers me.

Anyways, good luck to Harding, sh*tty break.
When you figure out why it bothers you, let me know and I'll explain the likely misconception of the post.
MN Wild Team Forum
Old 11-29-2012, 02:42 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKidd View Post
When you figure out why it bothers you, let me know and I'll explain the likely misconception of the post.

I got it. It sounds like a generic quote picked out the "sportscasters guide to everything". The same quote applies to any enforcer who gets sick, any boxer/fighter of any sort or any other player who deals with any adversity at all. I have no idea if you actually mean what you are saying or you are saying it because it sounds good. I guess at end of the day it's impersonal and it bothers me.

That's exactly what every hockey player would say because they are too afraid to say how they really feel.

I think the truth is, in these situations, people don't really care. Maybe for a brief second they do but then reality sets in, just because this guy has MS the world doesn't stop. You still have bills to pay, family/work/friend issues that need to be dealth with...this won't be on most peoples mind in about 20 minutes.

Last edited by flex_buff_chest; 11-29-2012 at 02:46 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:23 PM
Hall of Famer

Terrible news. My wife's cousin has MS and he has a 7 years old son. It really bothers me that he's unable to play with his son. I have a 5 years old son myself and I can't imagine how I feel. I gotta be grateful and to not take anything for granted.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:45 PM
Hall of Famer

Damn... All the best to him!

Aquile Friuli Venezia Giulia rulez!
Old 11-29-2012, 03:46 PM
Clever admin title

Quote:
Originally Posted by flex_buff_chest View Post
I got it. It sounds like a generic quote picked out the "sportscasters guide to everything". The same quote applies to any enforcer who gets sick, any boxer/fighter of any sort or any other player who deals with any adversity at all. I have no idea if you actually mean what you are saying or you are saying it because it sounds good. I guess at end of the day it's impersonal and it bothers me.

That's exactly what every hockey player would say because they are too afraid to say how they really feel.

I think the truth is, in these situations, people don't really care. Maybe for a brief second they do but then reality sets in, just because this guy has MS the world doesn't stop. You still have bills to pay, family/work/friend issues that need to be dealth with...this won't be on most peoples mind in about 20 minutes.
I got ya. No, it's not a generic thing at all, and is quite personal to him specifically.

Having seen Harding get drafted and develop, the year he was set to challenge for a back up and even starting spot, he tears his hip up.

He fights back from that and in camp impresses enough to get another offer. In a preseason game against St Louis (I was at the game and knew it instantly) he gets fallen on, awkwardly, and tears his knee to shreds. Again, season over. Fast forward a year, he fights back yet again to get another offer from the Wild brass and last year, puts up very solid numbers to earn a 3 year deal and become the Wild goalie of the future.

Not often you find a goalie able to fight back from two severe lower body injuries like he did. He even gets rewarded with a multi-year deal.

As far as the impersonal nature of these situations, you're right to an extent. Is it going to affect my life to the point where I can't function? No. Is it going to be something we bring up and talk about when Harding retires early because of this? You bet. Is it something we'll talk about when Backstrom moves on and Hackett / Harding was slated as the tandem of the future, and it's now Hackett / xxx? You bet.
MN Wild Team Forum
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JKidd For This Useful Post:
chilly666 (11-29-2012), flex_buff_chest (11-29-2012), OilersHockey (11-30-2012)
Old 11-29-2012, 05:34 PM
Hall of Famer

good luck josh

'We weren’t searching for Sergei Zubov when we found him, we’ve just been looking for him ever since he left.' - Ralph Strangis
Old 11-30-2012, 12:53 AM
Hall of Famer

from the sounds of it it's something you can manage to a point. so good luck to him
The Following User Says Thank You to theknuckler For This Useful Post:
flex_buff_chest (11-30-2012)
Old 12-01-2012, 07:52 AM
Super All-Star

the problem with MS is, it affects everyone differently. I have a good friend who pretty much is confined to a wheelchair most of her time, and another who 3 years into diagnosis is still pretty active and is somehow keeping it under control.

Hopefully, as he's starting from a pretty fit beginning he can hold it off a little longer than most.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:00 PM
Hall of Famer

Could have been worse. I mean at least he wasn't diagnosed with a severe case of Sh1tty Goaltenderitis like Rick DiPietro.

- Sloth

Tags
josh harding, minnesota wild