alliance
Go Back   hockeyfights.com forums > NHL Forums > Player Movement & Rumors

Old 07-26-2012, 10:35 PM
Hall of Famer

is the is toughness they were talking about signing the other day.....

carolina pretty busy this year, i dont think i every remember them going after and landing big name players.. now just to top themselves off with some toughness and they'll be set for the playoffs.
Advertisement
Old 07-26-2012, 10:44 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejwalk View Post
great 7 mil for 20 goals ... and he drinks vodka all the time on the road...good for the bars in the area but a couple of better D-men at 3.5 mil would have been better..most over paid player in North Carolina professional sports
We'll get him a couple jars of Wilkes County 'shine, and he'll forget all about that Vodka nonsense.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:54 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Garden View Post
Gotta reach the cap floor somehow....
Exactly, I believe this puts us only a little bit over the preious seasons floor. Theorhetically the floor was going to raise $3.5 million I think. Who knows what happens with the new CBA though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBurger View Post
How high were you when you wrote this gem? Also, both Jordan and Eric Staal are centers, so those three aren't going to be on the same line, unless it's for a power play.
Clearly you're retarded. Muller and Rutherford have said that Jordan and Eric will be given the chance to play on the same line. A line of Eric-Jordan alone is going to be hard to handle 25 minutes a night by other teams. Adding somebody with elite scoring ability just adds that much more too it.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:00 AM
Hall of Famer

Now Marc can ask Jordan and Eric to find out, "How can she slap?"
Old 07-27-2012, 12:21 PM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejwalk View Post
great 7 mil for 20 goals ... and he drinks vodka all the time on the road...good for the bars in the area but a couple of better D-men at 3.5 mil would have been better..most over paid player in North Carolina professional sports
He can't be the most overpayed, we have the Carolina Panthers and the Charlotte Bobcats, I'm sure players on those teams are compensated much better than the Hurricanes and have never performed half as well.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:53 PM
Rookie

Carolina says more offseason moves to come
07/27 10:19 AM
The Carolina Hurricanes wanted to add one top-shelf forward this offseason. They got two.
RALEIGH, N.C. -- The Carolina Hurricanes wanted to add one top-shelf forward this offseason. They got two.

By trading for Jordan Staal and signing Alexander Semin, the Hurricanes have sent a clear message: They're in it to win -- now.

"It's easy for me to say we stack up fine, but you really don't know until you play the games," general manager Jim Rutherford said Friday. "But I will say we are a much stronger team going into the season than we have been in a long time."

Carolina continued its productive offseason this week by signing free agent Semin to a one-year, $7 million contract. That came a few weeks after trading for Staal -- the brother of captain Eric Staal -- and locking him up with a 10-year extension worth $6 million per year.

The Semin signing brought the payroll to roughly $57 million, up about $5 million from this time last year, Rutherford said.

Owner Peter Karmanos Jr. gave him the financial flexibility to make the Semin deal and Rutherford said the recent spending splurge has been offset by additional television revenue and by what he called "an all-time high" in season ticket sales, though he didn't have specific figures.

"There's been a lot of excitement created, and that's going to mean new revenue," Rutherford said.

The acquisitions of Staal and Semin address the team's stated offseason objective of adding scoring punch.

But there was a side benefit to those moves, plus their legitimate pursuit of free agent Zach Parise and their attempts to trade for Rick Nash. Taken together, they seemed to state to the rest of the league that the small-market club is serious about winning.

"Certainly, the fact that we are now going out and paying a free agent $7 million is making a pretty strong statement about where we feel our team's at, and where we think we can go," Rutherford said.

And they're not entirely finished, either.

Rutherford said he'd like to add a "gritty forward or a tough guy" to protect skill players such as former rookie of the year Jeff Skinner, who missed 16 games last season with a concussion. But he said that deal wouldn't necessarily have to come before the season starts.

Rutherford said Semin was No. 2 on his free agent wish list behind only Parise, who signed with Minnesota.

The enigmatic former first-round pick -- who became the fifth-leading scorer in Washington Capitals history during seven seasons with them -- is one of 18 NHL players to average at least 30 goals during the last six years and has 197 goals and 211 assists in his career. His scoring was down to 21 goals and 33 assists while the Capitals played a more defensive-oriented style in 2011-12.

Rutherford said he spoke to a substantial list of people -- including former Washington coach Bruce Boudreau -- to get a clearer picture of Semin and said there's minimal risk with a one-year deal.

"We got a very talented player, we didn't lock in for a long period of time and then find out it's not working," Rutherford said. "And we didn't have to trade for him."

If nothing else, he won't be able to torment the Hurricanes on the ice anymore. His career totals of 27 goals and 45 points against them are his most against any team.

"I've always had a very strong opinion of him as a player. Of course, we see it firsthand -- he certainly hasn't been a friend of the Hurricanes as an opponent," Rutherford said. "We'd like to think the way (new coach Kirk Muller) does things and with our approach and how our training camp is, and how our practices are and fitting him with Eric that we can get consistency out of him.

"And if we can, he's a guy that certainly is capable of getting back to the 40-goal mark."

I hope to hell we get a decent enforcer.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hurricane For This Useful Post:
Mr. America (07-27-2012)
Old 07-27-2012, 04:46 PM
All-Star

semin, lol
Old 07-27-2012, 05:20 PM
Hall of Famer

Wow nice! He's a coach's dream and a GREAT teammate!!! Who could ask for more!
The Following User Says Thank You to bruiser11 For This Useful Post:
Viper207 (07-27-2012)
Old 07-27-2012, 06:03 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBurger View Post
How high were you when you wrote this gem? Also, both Jordan and Eric Staal are centers, so those three aren't going to be on the same line, unless it's for a power play.
I can't speak for him, but I was high as hell when i read it.

Amerks - 6 Calder Cups

Ice Flyers -2 President's Cups
Old 07-27-2012, 07:43 PM
Hall of Famer

He's got a lot of talent and is an offensive player.

Other then that he has very little impact on a game and in the playoffs makes no difference.

I can think of many beneficial ways to spend 7 million on a team.
The Following User Says Thank You to canuck2 For This Useful Post:
Lindros88 (07-27-2012)
Old 07-27-2012, 08:43 PM
Hall of Famer

Semin disappearing in the playoffs is the least of the Canes worries. Gotta get there first for that to even happen.

Tags
alexander semin, carolina hurricanes