Go Back   hockeyfights.com forums > NHL Forums > Player Movement & Rumors
nearest

Old 09-26-2007, 12:26 PM
Veteran

Hurricanes Reassign Gillies, Leighton and Sutter

RALEIGH, NC—Jim Rutherford, President and General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has trimmed its training camp roster to 25 players. Forward Trevor Gillies and goaltender Michael Leighton have been assigned to Albany of the American Hockey League, while center Brandon Sutter, Carolina’s first-round (11th overall) pick in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft, will return to his junior club, Red Deer of the Western Hockey League.

Last edited by Thrillhouse; 09-26-2007 at 12:34 PM.
Advertisement
Old 09-26-2007, 12:44 PM
All-Star

Leighton is better than Grahame and Gillies deserves a fair chance. They are gonna need him or someone like him eventually anyway. Seems like kind of a bad move. Keep Gillies up and trade Grahame then keep Leighton up as well.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:00 PM
Clever admin title

Wow... with the way the East is shaking out, you'd think the Canes want a bit more than Tim Gleason and Mike Commodore - but I guess it'll take Eric Staal, Rod Brind'Amour or Erik Cole getting hurt like Dean McAmmond for them to realize it.
MN Wild Team Forum
RIP Bob "Probie" Probert - 7/5/2010
RIP Derek "Boogie Man" Boogaard - 5/13/2011
Old 09-26-2007, 01:08 PM
Super All-Star

I still don't know how Gillies outlasted Wade Brookbank...

No suprise here, Laviolette is a douchebag. I hope they get stomped all over the rink once the season starts.

"You can't hurt me! I'm too f*cked in the head!" - Eric Boulton to Trevor Doyle
Old 09-26-2007, 01:19 PM
Hall of Famer

i hate the fkin hurricanes and hope they get run all year ..i think they are going to have to bring someone up though, eventually, the east is to tuff this year...
Old 09-26-2007, 01:20 PM
Hall of Famer

Yeah, the Canes games will be entertaining again this year. Maybe when they get b!tch slapped by the other teams in the east, their coach will wise up.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:11 PM
Hall of Famer

What a joke..
as a big gillies fan.. I checked..when he played this pre season..
He barely got ice time and if he get, the Canes played teams without fighters dressed.

But well..
Its great to see him in the AHL where he gets a chance to play and to fight.
And he will fight. He is awesome.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:32 PM
Super All-Star

Gilles Vs. Mirasty friday night anyone?
Old 09-26-2007, 04:40 PM
Hall of Famer

Wow.

I'm not happy that they sent Gillies down, but it was expected with the stupid Hurricanes. They are one of the weakest teams in the league, and they absolutely REFUSE to play a heavyweight.

The East is very tough this year with Laraque, Brashear, Peters, McGrattan, Orr, Thornton, Roy, Belak, and others, so I'm expecting the Hurricanes to get clobbered all over the ice. Tim Gleason and Mike Commodore are nowhere near enough - they are just middleweights.

This Carolina team will be boring to watch.... I'm expecting their guys to get destroyed left and right.

I just don't understand teams like this. I don't understand their decision to not keep a heavyweight at all. Are you just ASKING for your star players to get injured or what? Unbelievable....

"Boom, roasted."

Formerly Wes McSnipes
Old 09-26-2007, 08:18 PM
All-Star

My favorite team but I'm disappointed too. Even Detroit is giving Downey a fair chance and has seen the need for a heavyweight. I guess Erik Cole's broken neck didn't stick too fresh in their minds. Never would have happened if the right person was dressed, instead after that happened it was Eric Staal who grabbed Brooks Orpik and then didn't know what to do with him. Stubborn is all it is.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:22 PM
Hall of Famer

Well that sucks, I was looking forward to watching Gillies tomorrow!
Old 09-26-2007, 10:43 PM
Hall of Famer

I'm torn I love fighting, but from looking at the 4 lines we could put on the ice looks like we're gonna be to busy getting scoring chances to worry about fighting.

Also I don't buy for a minute that having a tough guy stops people from taking liberties with your team.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:52 PM
Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. America View Post
I'm torn I love fighting, but from looking at the 4 lines we could put on the ice looks like we're gonna be to busy getting scoring chances to worry about fighting.

Also I don't buy for a minute that having a tough guy stops people from taking liberties with your team.
So you're telling me that if you have a tough guy like Boogaard, teams are still going to take runs at players the same way they would against a team that didn't have a guy like Boogaard?
"The biggest message he gave me is you better make an impact in a game every night. If you haven't made an impact late in a game, if you haven't blocked a shot, made a big hit, had a goal, you'd better grab someone and fight someone to make sure everybody in that building knew you played that night."
- Zenon Konopka on his mentor/coach John Brophy
Old 09-26-2007, 11:24 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. America View Post

How about how having a tough guy can help your team win through the intimidation factor until another team calls up someone to counter him? Or were you out of the country when Boogaard was making Calgary and Edmonton look like 1st graders against the playground bully until Godard was called up? Or even in the east, the Rangers playing better hockey with Avery and Orr in the lineup, and McGrattan fighting Janssen till he stopped taking runs at various Ottawa players?
Old 09-27-2007, 05:30 AM
Hall of Famer

How many fighters did Ottawa have dressed the other night? If sombody is gonna do something stupid they are gonna do it no matter what.