Old 02-03-2006, 06:48 PM
Clever admin title

Flyers Sign Freddy Meyer to Contract Extension

The Philadelphia Flyers announced that they have signed 5’10”, 190-pound defenseman Freddy Meyer to a two-year contract extension, according to club Assistant General Manager Paul Holmgren.

“This is his third season with us and we feel that he has developed real nicely,” said Holmgren in making the announcement. “We think that he is a big part of the future of our hockey team.

“Freddy is a real, strong competitor. He is a good all-around defenseman. He has an excellent stick and is not afraid to take the body when the opportunity arises. He also has the ability to jump up into the play and join the rush offensively. We think that he is coming into his own right now and we are excited about having him in the mix with his new contract.”

“This is an exciting time for me right now,” said Meyer. “This is a great organization and I am happy to be a part of it for another two years at least.”

Meyer, 25, has recorded four goals and seven assists for 11 points and 17 penalty minutes in 28 games for the Flyers this season. He is currently tied for third among NHL rookies in plus/minus with a +11 rating. He has also posted six points (3G,3A) and 22 penalty minutes in 11 games for the Flyers’ American Hockey League affiliate, the Philadelphia Phantoms, this season.

In parts of three seasons with the Phantoms (2003-04 through 2005-06), Meyer has registered 23 goals and 26 assists for 49 points and 143 penalty minutes in 129 regular season games. He posted 12 points (3G,9A) and 34 penalty minutes in 21 playoff games as the Phantoms won the 2005 Calder Cup Championship. His 12 points and nine assists during the 2005 Calder Cup Playoffs led all AHL defensemen. He made his NHL debut at Washington on March 6, 2004.

After completing his college career with the Boston University Terriers, he signed as a free agent with the Flyers on May 21, 2003. In 126 games over four seasons with the Terriers (1999-2000 through 2002-03), Meyer registered 17 goals and 55 assists for 72 points and 288 penalty minutes. He was named to the NCAA East First All-American Team, the All-New England Team and Hockey East First All-Star Team after reaching career highs for assists (16) and points (21) in a season during the 2002-03 season.
Advertisement
Old 02-03-2006, 07:03 PM
Content Team

Glad to hear it, I was hoping they would do something with him. He's not as flashy a defensemen as the rest of the corps, but he can really shoot the puck. And he has one-third the amount of fights Brashear does!
Old 02-03-2006, 09:09 PM
Rookie

yeah i'm glad they signed him too.