Old 09-29-2007, 08:39 PM
Coach

Flyers Assign Downie to AHL

The Philadelphia Flyers announced that they have assigned forward Steve Downie to the Flyers’ American Hockey League affiliate, the Philadelphia Phantoms, according to club General Manager Paul Holmgren.

Last edited by blackngold; 09-29-2007 at 09:25 PM.
Advertisement
Old 09-29-2007, 10:18 PM
Super All-Star

This is no surprise. Especially after that ridiculous suspension. Which also kills any chance he has of getting called up.I don't know how they're gonna get around this one. Maybe next year he makes the team out of camp and the ybite the bullet and have him sit the first 1/4 of the season.

On a positive note I'll look forward to watching him in the AHL this year.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:24 PM
Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by danski View Post
This is no surprise. Especially after that ridiculous suspension. Which also kills any chance he has of getting called up.I don't know how they're gonna get around this one. Maybe next year he makes the team out of camp and the ybite the bullet and have him sit the first 1/4 of the season.

On a positive note I'll look forward to watching him in the AHL this year.
i heard theyre gonna call him up sometime this season when the phantoms have a slower schedule
Old 09-29-2007, 11:24 PM
Hall of Famer

Does he have to be called up to serve his suspension? Or can they call him up halfway threw the season and he can play?
Old 09-29-2007, 11:42 PM
Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Crunch28 View Post
Does he have to be called up to serve his suspension? Or can they call him up halfway threw the season and he can play?
he has to be on the flyers active roster to be able to serve the suspension
Old 09-30-2007, 10:13 AM
Hall of Famer

The AHL could honor the suspension and suspend him there to that would be sick...
Old 09-30-2007, 01:34 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackngold View Post
i heard theyre gonna call him up sometime this season when the phantoms have a slower schedule
makes sense...AHL has a weekend heavy schedule...just call him up every monday and send him back every Friday...wont take long to get through the 20 games that way.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:47 PM
Hall of Famer

After what he did to the organization, maybe he should stay in the AHL for the season
Old 09-30-2007, 02:03 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blouin View Post
After what he did to the organization, maybe he should stay in the AHL for the season
and what did he do?
Old 09-30-2007, 02:11 PM
Hall of Famer

He didn't do sh*t to the org. Holmgrem loves him. Secondly, he will be called up to the active roster, periodically to serve his suspension. Once he is done serving I am sure he will be seeing time.
Old 09-30-2007, 02:17 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xELi View Post
The AHL could honor the suspension and suspend him there to that would be sick...
Actually I think in this case it wouldn't be that bad for Downie and the Flyers if the AHL would honor the suspension too. He would be ready to play for the Flyers again earlier and he wouldn't have to be on the active Flyers roster to serve the suspension.
This forum is full of people that suffer from post-pubertal showing-off affectations...
Old 09-30-2007, 02:50 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Blouin stay in the Rangers threads. Holmgren stated that this doesn't change what we think of him we need him to play on an edge but not to cross it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciccarelli View Post
Actually I think in this case it wouldn't be that bad for Downie and the Flyers if the AHL would honor the suspension too. He would be ready to play for the Flyers again earlier and he wouldn't have to be on the active Flyers roster to serve the suspension.
Yeah your´e probably right. It's really a shame Downie did this he had a great chance being on the starting roster specially when we have a couple of injuries
Old 09-30-2007, 03:52 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers2001 View Post
He didn't do sh*t to the org. Holmgrem loves him. Secondly, he will be called up to the active roster, periodically to serve his suspension. Once he is done serving I am sure he will be seeing time.
I've seen this post on players like Cote, Eager and so forth from Flyer fans.

good role model for the Flyer fans
Downie was suspended for 5 games early in the 2005-06 OHL season for on-ice altercations with a teammate during practice. Downie blindly cross-checked and then fought teammate Akim Aliu during practice on September 28, knocking out 3 of Aliu's teeth. [1] The incident stemmed from 16 year old Aliu's refusal to take part in a hazing incident, which involved rookies being forced to stand naked in a cramped bus bathroom. The team suspended Downie for five games and Aliu for one, and Downie was told to undergo professional counselling.

Last edited by Blouin; 09-30-2007 at 03:56 PM.
Old 09-30-2007, 04:19 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
You're absolutely right...I wish he could be a clean model player like Hollweg. Give your head a shake.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:02 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
I've seen this post on players like Cote, Eager and so forth from Flyer fans.

good role model for the Flyer fans
Downie was suspended for 5 games early in the 2005-06 OHL season for on-ice altercations with a teammate during practice. Downie blindly cross-checked and then fought teammate Akim Aliu during practice on September 28, knocking out 3 of Aliu's teeth. [1] The incident stemmed from 16 year old Aliu's refusal to take part in a hazing incident, which involved rookies being forced to stand naked in a cramped bus bathroom. The team suspended Downie for five games and Aliu for one, and Downie was told to undergo professional counselling.
yeah he is exciting