Old 06-27-2008, 02:24 PM
Clever admin title

Flames Re-Sign Langkow, Conroy, Nystrom and McElhinney

Calgary, AB - Calgary Flames General Manager Darryl Sutter announced today the resigning of centres Craig Conroy and Daymond Langkow, left wing Eric Nystrom and goaltender Curtis McElhinney.

“Conroy and Langkow are two of our top centermen who are strong role models for our team both on and off the ice” said Sutter. “Especially with more young wingers in our line-up next season, their experience and leadership will be important. We are happy to be able to make it work by fitting them into our salary structure.”

Conroy, a native of Potsdam, NY, and a veteran of 846 NHL games, is entering his 13th NHL season split between Calgary, Los Angeles, Montreal, and St. Louis.

Conroy, a former Flames captain, continues his second tour of duty with Calgary after spending four seasons with the Flames (2000-2004) which was highlighted by winning the Western Conference in 2004 where he finished second in team playoff scoring with 17 points.

Langkow, a native of Edmonton, Alberta, and a veteran of 868 NHL games, is entering his 12th NHL season. He is coming off his second highest offensive season in 2007-08 scoring 30 goals and adding 35 assists for 65 points in 80 games.

Originally a first round (5th overall) selection in the 1995 NHL Entry Draft by the Tampa Bay Lightning, Langkow has spent time with Tampa Bay, Philadelphia, Phoenix, and Calgary. He has been a plus player and scored 20+ goals in each of the past six seasons. His last two years in Calgary have been career highs for offensive output for Langkow, registering 77 and 65 points.

“After coming back this past year, Nystrom proved that he can play on our team,” said Sutter. “His size, energy and aggressive play will continue to be important qualities for our line-up. Additionally, we expect his offensive skills to continue to develop.”

Nystrom, hailing from Syosset, NY, is entering his second year with the Flames after playing 44 games and netting three goals and seven assists last season.

Originally a Calgary Flames first round (10th overall) selection in the 2002 NHL Entry Draft, Nystrom spent the majority of the season in Calgary after starting out the year in Quad Cities (AHL). Nystrom is one of three former Michigan Wolverines (NCAA) on the Flames roster skating alongside David Moss and recently acquired Mike Cammalleri. Eric is the son of former New York Islanders great Bob Nystrom.

“Moving forward we expect more young players in our line-up and Curtis McElhinney has earned the right to be part of that group,” said Sutter. “He will compete with our other young goaltenders for that position.”

McElhinney, a native of London, ON, saw his first NHL action last season playing in five games for the Flames registering a 2.00 GAA and a .902 save percentage.

After are stellar 2006-07 season with Omaha where McElhinney finished 1st in the AHL in shutouts (7), 2nd in goals against average (2.13), and 3rd in wins (35), he was selected to the AHL All-Star Team. Prior to that, he spent four seasons at Colorado College where he earned All-American honours in 2005.

Last edited by Thrillhouse; 06-27-2008 at 04:18 PM.
Advertisement
Old 06-27-2008, 02:31 PM
Coach

Damn. Good job by the Flames, now they just need the enforcer.
"It's huge when guys are sticking up for each other," Rechlicz said. "It's more of a team bonding thing. I think it's great, and that's the style we've got to play. Guys come together, and it's like your family out there ... That's what it's all about. If you mess with one of our guys, you're going to mess with five of them. That's just the way it's going to go."
Old 06-27-2008, 02:57 PM
Minor Leaguer

Enforcer/Energy Player

I heard Prusty is in the middle of signing a 2 yr.....1 way contract....You watch, he'll become a fan favorite for sure, when he was with the Mem Cup London Knights I followed him, He drops the mits at the right time to get the team going, and he has a Sutter Hardwork ethic like Iginla. each team he plays for he becomes a fan favorite.....can he win the Calgary hearts?

watch out Boll, this guys gonna get noticed for sure..... look at his increasing stats. !

Damn Straight !!!
Old 06-27-2008, 02:59 PM
Coach

Wow - thats a bit of a shocker. I thought Conroy would be gonzo for sure.

The Langkow signing has been nearly 3 months in the making. Nystrom showed some progress last year after looking like a bust for a few seasons there, and I'm assuming they'll try McEhlinney as a backup to Kipprusoff, unless they decide to sign another vet down the stretch. But I thought for sure Conroy would be given his walking papers as the Flames try to look to get younger and quicker.

Conroy's a bit of weirdo. He must have taken a HUGE paycut to stay on, and he's been on his hands and knees everywhere lately begging Daryl to re-sign him, telling anyone who will listen thats money won't be an issue. Hopefully he starts drinking de-caf.

- The Duke of Wellington after the Battle of Waterloo, June 18, 1815.
Old 06-27-2008, 03:05 PM
Clever admin title

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckfan View Post
Conroy's a bit of weirdo. He must have taken a HUGE paycut to stay on, and he's been on his hands and knees everywhere lately begging Daryl to re-sign him
Apparently, it's 2 years, $1 million/year.

I'll take that.
Old 06-27-2008, 04:18 PM
Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrillhouse View Post

I'll take that.
The Flames are stuck with this creep-o for another 2 years? Good Gawd.....

- The Duke of Wellington after the Battle of Waterloo, June 18, 1815.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:30 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:

I'll take that.
That's definitely worth it, IMO. Must really have wanted to stay.

The future will soon be a thing of the past.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:34 PM
Hall of Famer

Good for Conroy and the flames. He took a pay cut and loves it in Calgary.

Cammalleri
Langkow
Conroy
Lombardi?

nice start down the middle
Old 06-27-2008, 06:59 PM
Hall of Famer

Nise Nise..
Old 06-28-2008, 10:18 AM
Coach

Good re-signings by the Flames. They're having a pretty good offseason so far.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:12 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:

I'll take that.
Only if the Pens players would take a discount like that...o well.

As far as the Flames im impressed with what this team has talent wise, they IMO are a top 3-4 team in the west.