Old 11-02-2012, 06:23 PM
Hall of Famer

Good for him to retire on his own terms, and still healthy. From reading that article it seems like he's got a bit of a gameplan around what to do with his earnings.. again a good thing as we hear all too often of ex pro sportsmen blowing their fortune on booze, blow and broads.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:32 PM
News Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Smasher View Post
At least this one seems by choice, leaving on his terms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOON 21 View Post
I think the lockout might have had something to do with this decision as well, but lets remember the guy didnt play much last year or so..
im gonna combine this, each explanation can (hopefully) be figured out as to where it was meant.

he didn't leave on his own terms...he made his own road last year by showing complete disinterest in the game for texas. hence why he didn't play much and was bought out by the stars. he didn't show much, if any passion in the way he had in the past. he didn't go out looking to spark the team when they needed (when in lineup). his fights weren't overly great either compared to what he used to put up. while he'll be missed, he built this road to this decision.

Last edited by chilly666; 11-02-2012 at 06:45 PM.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:56 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilly666 View Post
im gonna combine this, each explanation can (hopefully) be figured out as to where it was meant.

he didn't leave on his own terms...he made his own road last year by showing complete disinterest in the game for texas. hence why he didn't play much and was bought out by the stars. he didn't show much, if any passion in the way he had in the past. he didn't go out looking to spark the team when they needed (when in lineup). his fights weren't overly great either compared to what he used to put up. while he'll be missed, he built this road to this decision.
Fair point, though I think the point - mine was anyway - that he is a career enforcer whose career isn't ending as a result of PCS, or some other pleasantry that comes with having that one fight too many..
Old 11-02-2012, 06:58 PM
Hall of Famer

I blame Bettman.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:01 PM
News Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoryuken View Post
Fair point, though I think the point - mine was anyway - that he is a career enforcer whose career isn't ending as a result of PCS, or some other pleasantry that comes with having that one fight too many..
to be honest i didn't even see your post until after i had already posted that...i gotcha though
The Following User Says Thank You to chilly666 For This Useful Post:
Shoryuken (11-02-2012)
Old 11-02-2012, 07:58 PM
Hall of Famer

Sad to see him retire but at the same time he had a pretty damn good career. Had some epic wins and I would say he is one of my all-time favorites becasue of his willingness to trade punches with the heaviest hitters in the game, in which he also was. What was not to like but a little inconsistency. All fighters go through it including Probert who lost to Chris Tamer once. Some nights as he said you just don't want to do it but you have to for your team.

I'm going to take the other side out and remember the wars with Orr, McGrattan, Boogaard and the bloodying of Brashear and destruction of Macintyre. He showed up in the big fights just like superstars show up in the big games. Biggest disappointment is that he didd'nt get to avenge his loss to Carkner.

All the best to life after hockey EG.
The Following User Says Thank You to rondo For This Useful Post:
Black Ice (11-04-2012)
Old 11-02-2012, 09:51 PM
Hall of Famer

Sorry to see you go, one of my favourites. THE HAND OF GOD!!!
Old 11-02-2012, 10:45 PM
Hall of Famer

I remember when Matt Carkner broke his orbital bone, and Godard wanted a rematch in the same game. Guy was a beast.

PM me for a game!
Old 11-02-2012, 11:05 PM
Hall of Famer

a thought?...

Speaking of Carkner i just thought of something thats kinda odd, follow me for a second.

Here we have Carkner who just signed a 3 year contract for $4.5 million (a solid contract for the type of player that Carkner is, [robably best contract of career) and then we get a guy like Godard who doesnt have a job and suddenly retires. Both super rugged tough tough hombres and roughly the same age

I know Carkner basically is a Dman and Godard a winger, and overall Carkner is the better player/more skilled, (can take more of regular shift, i get that) but it still kinda odd that 1 gets best deal of career and the other suddenly retires - thoughts?

One guy gets the best deal of his life and the other retires at basically same age -- what gives? ideas?

Old 11-02-2012, 11:42 PM
Hall of Famer

I think you explained most of it yourself, dude. Carkner has uptick as an actual player that can eat minutes.

That having been said, I was hoping a team like Ottawa might give Godard a camp invite, and the fact that there's, well, no camps to try out for this year, guy's probably ****ing sick and tired of riding the bus in the AHL.

PM me for a game!
Old 11-03-2012, 12:29 AM
Hall of Famer

Bodies - Eric Godard - YouTube

Eric Godard Scores [4-11-10] - YouTube

Eric Godard Shaving Cream Pie in Goalie John...

Eric Godard's Happy Birthday - YouTube

24/7 Penguins Capitals: The Enforcers w/ DJ King...
RIP Derek Boogarrd
RIP Rick Rypien
RIP Wade Belak
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Killah_punk For This Useful Post:
FistofFury (11-03-2012), Habs # 1 (11-03-2012)
Old 11-03-2012, 02:02 AM
Hall of Famer

The Canucks were stupid for not signing him back when they had the chance. He could have done wonders for that wimpy team.

http://http://fathertheo.wordpress.com/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FistofFury For This Useful Post:
bruiser11 (11-04-2012), NameyMD (11-03-2012)
Old 11-03-2012, 05:38 AM
Hall of Famer

Good fo Godard hope he enjoys retirement

***censored***
Old 11-03-2012, 05:51 AM
Hall of Famer

good to see a guy who knows when is the time to leave.his performance last year was absolutely shame to his old self but he used to be a monster.good luck in retirement

my favorite
Francis Lessard vs Eric Godard Apr 5, 2003 -...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DARCY T For This Useful Post:
Habs # 1 (11-03-2012), Killah_punk (11-04-2012)
Old 11-03-2012, 09:36 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonio106 View Post
I think you explained most of it yourself, dude. Carkner has uptick as an actual player that can eat minutes.

That having been said, I was hoping a team like Ottawa might give Godard a camp invite, and the fact that there's, well, no camps to try out for this year, guy's probably ****ing sick and tired of riding the bus in the AHL.

Yea your probably right

My 1st thought was the lockout would hurt a guy like him probably more than most players and enforcers. Guys kep bringing up Carkner and its obvious how their careers did a 360 at the same time

The last lockout of 2004 had a adverse affect for the physical part of the game as well but thats another story entirely

Sadly Not many pure heavyweights left in the game