Go Back   hockeyfights.com forums > NHL Forums > Player Movement & Rumors

Old 12-14-2007, 08:00 PM
Hall of Famer

Ducks Trade McDonald to St. Louis for Weight, Birner, and 7th Round Pick

ANAHEIM – The Anaheim Ducks announced today that the National Hockey League (NHL) club has acquired center Doug Weight, left wing Michal Birner and a seventh round pick in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft from the St. Louis Blues in exchange for center Andy McDonald.

“Andy McDonald has been a great contributor for us over the last few seasons, and we thank him for the tremendous work ethic and character he brought to our club,” said Executive Vice President/General Manager Brian Burke. “At the same time, we are pleased to add one of the most dynamic passers in the NHL today in Doug Weight. His production and leadership during his NHL and international career speak for themselves.”

Weight, 36 (1/21/71), scored 4-7=11 points with a +4 rating and 12 penalty minutes (PIM) in 29 games with the Blues this season. The four-time NHL All-Star (1996, 1998, 2001, 2003) has scored 4-1=5 points in his last four games.

A native of Detroit, MI, Weight helped Carolina to a Stanley Cup championship in 2006, scoring 3-13=16 points in 23 playoff games. He has scored 259-696=955 points with 877 PIM in 1,093 career NHL games between the New York Rangers (1990-93), Edmonton Oilers (1993-2001), Blues (2001-07), and Carolina Hurricanes (2006). Among active all-time NHL leaders, Weight ranks seventh in assists and 10th in points. In addition, he has played for Team USA in the 1998, 2002 and 2006 Winter Olympics, 1996 and 2004 World Cup, and 2005 World Championship.

Birner, 21 (3/2/86), has appeared in 18 games for Peoria (Blues’ AHL affiliate) this season, scoring 2-5=7 points with four PIM. Originally selected by St. Louis in the fourth round (116th overall) of the 2004 NHL Entry Draft, Birner played his first professional season with Peoria last year. In 66 games for the Rivermen, he scored 11-17=28 points with 20 PIM.

A native of Litomerice, Czech Republic, Birner split his time in the Ontario Hockey League (OHL) between Barrie and Saginaw from 2004-2006. In 119 OHL games, he collected 42-85=127 points with 132 PIM in 119 games. Birner, who played for Team Czech Republic at the 2005 World Junior Championship, also captured a bronze medal as a member of the Czech Republic team at the 2004 World Junior Under-18 Championship in Belarus.

McDonald, 30 (8/25/77), has appeared in 33 games this season, scoring 4-12=16 points with 30 PIM. He has played in 391 career games with the Ducks after signing as a free agent on Apr. 3, 2000.

A native of Strathroy, Ontario, McDonald played in 82 games during the 2006-07 campaign for Anaheim, scoring 27-51=78 points. He appeared in his first NHL All-Star Game last season and won his first Stanley Cup Championship.

"Boom, roasted."

Formerly Wes McSnipes

Last edited by jayc948; 12-14-2007 at 08:11 PM. Reason: posted release
Advertisement
Old 12-14-2007, 08:06 PM
Hall of Famer

Wow. Awesome deal for the Blues!

I liked Weight, but he's getting older, and at 36 years of age, he doesn't have much left in the tank.

Andy McDonald on the other hand is a very good player. He's put up around 80 points the past 2 years, and he will be playing with some good players on the Blues, so I'm expecting him to heat up once he comes to St. Louis. McDonald is only 29, and he's a very fast and explosive center.

No disrespect to the Ducks, but I have to say that the Blues win this one. We just really upgraded at center.... Tkachuk-McDonald is a much better 1-2 punch than Tkachuk-Weight. Great move by the Blues. JD and Larry Pleau have made some incredible trades lately. Tkachuk to Atlanta for a few picks (and then the Blues just signed him again in the offseason), Wideman for Boyes (very lopsided trade), Soderberg for Toivonen (a guy who's career is in jeopardy for a young goalie with #1 potential), and now Weight for McDonald. I love our ownership.

I just don't think this trade makes any sense for the Ducks. They just lost a good player, and weren't they supposed to DUMP salary? Weight makes 3.5 mil per year, compared to McDonald who is only at 3.33 mil per year. Plus, Weight is a free agent at the end of the season.

I'm very happy with this move, and McDonald will improve our offense. Can't wait to see him wearing the 'Note. Good move by the Blues.

"Boom, roasted."

Formerly Wes McSnipes
Old 12-14-2007, 08:07 PM
Content Team

The Blues could easily make a playoff push now, i like this move for the Blues...
Old 12-14-2007, 08:09 PM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes McSnipes View Post
I just don't think this trade makes any sense for the Ducks. They just lost a good player, and weren't they supposed to DUMP salary? Weight makes 3.5 mil per year, compared to McDonald who is only at 3.33 mil per year. Plus, Weight is a free agent at the end of the season.
It's to dump the salary for NEXT season.

It even said that in the post you made to start the thread.......

Quote:
The Ducks have been attempting to make a move to free up salary for next season after defenceman Scott Niedermayer announced his return last week. Weight will earn $3.5 million this season but becomes a free agent on July first. The move will free up $2.5 million next season allowing the Conn Smythe trophy winning Niedermayer to return.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:11 PM
Hall of Famer

This trade was done because the Ducks need to clear capspace on next year's salary, not this year's. Weight is a UFA, so basically it's a 3.33million salary dump for next year. Allows them to re-sign Perry.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:15 PM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecanuck16 View Post
This trade was done because the Ducks need to clear capspace on next year's salary, not this year's. Weight is a UFA, so basically it's a 3.33million salary dump for next year. Allows them to re-sign Perry.
It's for Niedermayer's salary.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:15 PM
Hall of Famer

McDonald was really struggling this year with the Ducks. This is a better deal for the blues, they will use a player like that.

Anyone know whats the salary for the ducks for this year now?

This rule is quite stupid, why does a team has to look after the next years salary?
Old 12-14-2007, 08:18 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatatonicMoose View Post
It's for Niedermayer's salary.
Yes, but the reason that next year's cap is so tight is that Perry needs to be re-signed and is up for a massive raise.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:22 PM
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes McSnipes View Post

The Ducks had to free up cap space for NEXT year (they had room this year for Scott but with the CBA had to have a certain amount available next year). With Weight as a UFA he doesn't count towards that but MacDonald would.

I don't particularly like the trade (I watched Andy play here in Cincinnati for a while) but understand it. Andy really needed someone like Selane to work with & hasn't been able to do much this year. Hopefully he can pick things up with the Blues. He's not a huge physical player but he always gives everything he's got.

On the BIG plus side for the Ducks is that their D is not broken up & with Scott returning shifted from great to awesome. Throw Giggy in as goalie & it will be tough to score on them. They just have to figure out a way to get the puck in the net themselves.

With next year's cap space freed up, Burke also now has room to sign Perry to a decent contract before the offer sheets start flying around.

So all in all not great (but all the other GM's knew Burke was between a rock & a hard place & weren't going to give him much) but not the end of the world either.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:26 PM
Coach

This team hasn't exactly been lighting it up in the scoring department, so to get rid of one of your better forwards in order to make room for Niedermayer isn't the best avenue IMO. That being said, McDonald hasn't been producing this year, and with the talent the Ducks have Weight could certainly score at the clip McDonald has thus far. Would've made more sense to dump a dman's salary as opposed to a forward's IMO.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:25 PM
General Manager

I like this trade for the Blues. I'm a little surprised that Weight was traded because I thought he loved St. Louis which is why he had a no trade clause in his contracts.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:43 PM
Super All-Star

Several things put this trade into perspective:

Burke had ZERO bargaining power.

The new rules have made trades sparse regardless of the zero bargaining power.

S. Nieds is 100X the defenseman Andy Mac (bless 'im) is a forward (= the Ducks are better after this trade). If Weight contributes in any significant way, it will be a bonus.

Scotty's abilities as a puck moving defenseman as well as his PP and PK skills actually helps the Ducks' GF/GA ratio, which is what wins games (esp. in the playoffs). The Ducks have struggled getting into the O-zone, and Scotty will help this a lot.

The Ducks' window on being a cup contender is closing. That Andy will be playing for 6+ more years while Weight is a virtual rental is really irrelevant as far as cups go.

Andy Mac seems 1/2 the hockey player without Teemu, and he is too small to contribute significantly in any other way.

Perry is far more important to Anaheim than Andy Mac, and Perry will be snapped up á la Penner if Burke doesn't set himself up to resign him.

All that said, I think this is great for St. Loo, a team that is just going up and up. They are tough enough to protect Andy Mac (he has a concussion history). They also have the personnel to complement Andy and bring the goals out of him.

This is not bad for the Ducks at all. I'd call this a necessary move for Anaheim and a great move for St. Loo, which is why it happened. (Trades don't have to be good for one, bad for the other.)

Last edited by O-Gnimh; 12-14-2007 at 09:46 PM.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:24 PM
Clever admin title

Good deal for both clubs. The Ducks technically get Niedermayer and Weight for getting rid of McDonald... a steep price, but VERY worth it.
MN Wild Team Forum
RIP Bob "Probie" Probert - 7/5/2010
RIP Derek "Boogie Man" Boogaard - 5/13/2011
Old 12-15-2007, 12:02 AM
Hall of Famer

the blues are starting to look like a fabulous team. they could make a playoff push this year, but look for them to be contenders next year imo, they have the right amount of talent and mix of veterans and youth as well as grit.
Old 12-15-2007, 02:56 AM
Hall of Famer

well the ducks only had to clear 800k for Scott....so maybe the other 2 mill is for selanne