Old 02-26-2009, 12:11 PM
Clever admin title

Ducks Acquire Ryan Whitney

ANAHEIM, Calif. - The Anaheim Ducks announced today that the National Hockey League (NHL) club has acquired defenseman Ryan Whitney from the Pittsburgh Penguins in exchange for left wings Chris Kunitz and Eric Tangradi.

Whitney, 26 (2/19/83), appeared in 28 games for Pittsburgh this season, scoring 2-11=13 points with 16 penalty minutes (PIM). Whitney led the Penguins with an average ice time of 24:34 minutes per game and power-play time, averaging 5:39 minutes per contest. The 6-4, 215-pound blue-liner missed the first 33 games of the season with a foot injury before making his 2008-09 debut on Dec. 23 vs. Tampa Bay.

Selected by Pittsburgh in the first round (fifth overall) of the 2002 NHL Entry Draft, Whitney has played four NHL seasons with the Penguins since making his debut in 2005-06. In 253 career games, Whitney has collected 34-116=150 points and 223 PIM with Pittsburgh, averaging 22 minutes-or-more of ice time in each of his four seasons. He ranked sixth in scoring among NHL defensemen in 2006-07 while also setting career highs in goals (14), assists (45), points (59), power play goals (9) and appearances (81). In 2007-08, Whitney ranked second on the Penguins in time on ice (22:28) and fourth in blocked shots (114) before helping lead the club to a Stanley Cup Final appearance against Detroit.

A native of Boston, MA, Whitney played for the United States in the World Junior Championships in 2002 and 2003, scoring 1-4=5 points in seven games in 2003. Whitney also played three seasons at Boston University from 2001-04, leading the team as a junior with 9-16=25 points in 2003-04.

Kunitz, 29 (9/26/79), appeared in all of Anaheim's 62 contests this season, scoring 16-19=35 points with 55 PIM and a +9 rating. The Regina, Saskatchewan native led the club in hits in each of the last two seasons. In 315 career NHL contests, Kunitz has collected 81-111=192 points with 299 PIM and a +57 rating. He appeared in his 300th NHL game on Jan. 17 at Minnesota.

A member of the Anaheim's 2007 Stanley Cup championship team, Kunitz has appeared in 35 career postseason contests (all with Anaheim), earning 4-12=16 points with 35 PIM. The 6-0, 193-pound winger was originally signed by Anaheim as a free agent on Apr. 1, 2003 after playing four years of college hockey with Ferris State of the Central Collegiate Hockey Association (CCHA). He was named the CCHA Player of the Year and a Hobey Baker Award finalist for the 2002-03 season.

Tangradi, 20 (2/10/89), appeared in 52 contests with Belleville of the Ontario Hockey League (OHL) this season, collecting 38-49=87 points with 57 PIM. Playing in his third season with the club and first as team captain, the 6-3, 220-pound winger ranked second among league leaders in scoring, fourth in goals and seventh in assists. Tangradi, a 2009 OHL Eastern Conference All-Star, also represented the United States at the 2009 World Junior Championship in Ottawa, scoring 1-2=3 points in six games.

Selected by Anaheim in the second round (42nd overall) of the 2007 NHL Entry Draft, the Philadelphia, PA native has collected 67-100=167 points in 173 career OHL games. In 2007-08, Tangradi helped lead the Bulls to the OHL Championship Series, collecting 7-11=18 points in 20 contests prior to an appearance at the 2008 Memorial Cup.

Last edited by Thrillhouse; 02-26-2009 at 01:51 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Thrillhouse For This Useful Post:
Gunslinger (02-26-2009), Habs # 1 (02-26-2009), MrFrost (03-04-2009), thepolishkid88 (02-26-2009)
Advertisement
Old 02-26-2009, 12:15 PM
Content Team

Should have given up a pick rather than Tangradi along with it, that kid has the potential to be a serious power forward.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:16 PM
Hall of Famer

I'm not sure who i like in this deal. Whitney could prove to be a big asset on a team like anaheim. Kunitz is a consistant hard-nosed forward, hard to call that a loss on the pens part too. I guess Tangradi is what could make this a great deal for the Pens.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:17 PM
Clever admin title

Anaheim has to be trading Chris Pronger now.

I quite like this deal for Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh lacks so much scoring depth, hopefully for them Kunitz can light it up with Sid or Malkin. On top of that, they help replenish their prospect pool, which took a hit last year. For Anaheim, it's tough to judge this deal as it seems this opens up the opportunity for more moves. So until the deadline's over, we can't judge what Anaheim has done here.

Last edited by Thrillhouse; 02-26-2009 at 12:38 PM. Reason: traded != trading
The Following User Says Thank You to Thrillhouse For This Useful Post:
Gunslinger (02-26-2009)
Old 02-26-2009, 12:19 PM
Content Team

Yeah, i would think this means Pronger is gone. Niedermayer, Pronger and Whitney on one team is a bit much.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:20 PM
Super All-Star

way to ditch the blueliner for forwards.... they must really feel comfortable w/ their baby pens d-men, b/c sergi gonchar is now your best all around forward.. i mean defencemen
Old 02-26-2009, 12:35 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleHunter32 View Post
way to ditch the blueliner for forwards.... they must really feel comfortable w/ their baby pens d-men, b/c sergi gonchar is now your best all around forward.. i mean defencemen
Sorry, but I'd take Alex Goligoski over Whitney any day of the week. The kid can play, he's shown he can play during his time here, he's every bit as good offensively as Whitney without being quite the liability defensively.

Regardless, I'm not sure I like this deal. I was hoping for more.
thepolishkid88 (02-26-2009)
Old 02-26-2009, 12:36 PM
Hall of Famer

this def. means a dman on the ducks is a gonner. id love to see the flyers pick up montador for some muscle on the blueline
Old 02-26-2009, 12:43 PM
Hall of Famer

This could turn out to be a great deal for the Pens if Tangradi pans out.Kunitz isn't bad.16 goals isn't bad.He's a plus player(+9)which is never bad.I'm guessing he plays with Crosby?Is Kunitz going to be the winger that Crosby is pining for???We shall see.

I like Whitney.It's just that he was a casualty of numbers.Too many blueliners.Too big of a contract on a team with too many big contracts.Someone had to go.I wonder if the Pens are done now.I don't really see Staal going anywhere now.Maybe a minor deal for some prospects or draft picks,but other than that.I don't see much...
Old 02-26-2009, 12:48 PM
Coach

Good deal for Pittsburgh - Kunitz may fit in well with Crosby, and they also get a young propsect while getting rid of a body on their blue line.

Not sure what this means for Anahiem - they were already having troubles scoring, and now they dish off Kunitz. I'm guessing something will need happen to either Pronger or Niedermayer. Whoever goes, having a top tandem of Pronger/Whitney, or Niedermayer/Whitney, along with a healthy Beauchemin, will head a strong, and cheaper, defense corps.

So, we'll have to see what the Ducks do in the next week - obviously this should just be the start of something big.

- The Duke of Wellington after the Battle of Waterloo, June 18, 1815.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:00 PM
Super All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadubbin View Post
This could turn out to be a great deal for the Pens if Tangradi pans out.Kunitz isn't bad.16 goals isn't bad.He's a plus player(+9)which is never bad.I'm guessing he plays with Crosby?Is Kunitz going to be the winger that Crosby is pining for???We shall see....
He will be more like a Ryan Malone type of player. A guy that can score 20 goals a year and clear some space for the snipers to move around a bit easier. I expect Crosby and Satan to start lighting it up now.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:08 PM
Super All-Star

Ducks Team Report Feb 26, 2009

With Travis Moen having returned to Orange County to be with his wife, Amy, for the birth of the couple's first child, the Ducks are carrying only 12 forwards halfway through their season-high, six-game road trip.
Getzlaf with broken nose after Buffalo game
And one more forward gone.

Last edited by Svyatoslav; 02-26-2009 at 01:17 PM.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:43 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svyatoslav View Post
Ducks Team Report Feb 26, 2009

With Travis Moen having returned to Orange County to be with his wife, Amy, for the birth of the couple's first child, the Ducks are carrying only 12 forwards halfway through their season-high, six-game road trip.
Getzlaf with broken nose after Buffalo game
And one more forward gone.
Both Montador and Brookbank can play forward so there is no problem there
Old 02-26-2009, 01:58 PM
Coach

Not a bad trade for the Penguins at all. I think Whitney is a pretty good young defenseman, but the Pens were desperate for some more scoring depth. Kunitz is a solid winger who could fit in nicely with their strength at center. With a decent prospect like Tangradi thrown in, I think Pittsburgh did alright.

The acquisition of another blueliner by the Ducks makes it seem inevitable that someone will be dealt, and based on the current rumors, I'd guess that this means Pronger is on the way out.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:02 PM
Hall of Famer

Love this trade for the Pens. GoGo has over taken Whitney as the future top d-man and now with this trade we get a Malone type forward and a great junior prospect. Tangradi has the potential to be a force in the NHL. Just watch some of the videos of him! He is a bull of a player.

Kunitz fills a giant need of a guy who goes to the front of the net and mucks it up. I dont think he will play with Sid because of Sykora. Top 2 lines would be Sykora-Sid-Malkin and line 2 would be Kunitz-Staal-Tank. My thoughts nothing offical.

As far as future deals the Pens are still going to be active moving contracts that they dont want (Satan and Eaton) and players that have a lot of value around the league(Gill and Dupuis). Pens were rumored to be looking at trading for Laraque and Neil so we will see.