Old 07-03-2012, 11:36 AM
Clever admin title

Devils Re-Sign Bryce Salvador

Newark, NJ – The New Jersey Devils today re-signed defenseman Bryce Salvador to a new contract. The announcement was made by Devils’ President/CEO/General Manager Lou Lamoriello. As per club policy, no further terms were disclosed.

Salvador will enter his fifth year with the Devils and 11th NHL season overall. In 2011-12, he was one of just four players on the club’s roster to appear in all 82 regular-season and all 24 playoff games.

The 6-3, 215-lb. defenseman led the team with a career-high plus-18 mark last season, while posting nine assists and 66 penalty minutes. Salvador finished the post-season first among the club’s rearguards and second among all NHL defensemen with 14 points.

He was acquired in a trade from the Blues on February 26, 2008. Born February 11, 1976 in Brandon, Man., he has career totals of 23 goals and 79 assists for 102 points and 625 penalty minutes in 692 regular-season appearances with St. Louis and New Jersey. Salvador was Tampa Bay’s sixth choice and 138th overall selection in the 1994 NHL Entry Draft.

He began his pro career with Worcester (AHL) in 1997-98, after playing four seasons of junior hockey at Lethbridge (WHL).

Last edited by chilly666; 07-03-2012 at 02:49 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Thrillhouse For This Useful Post:
NJDevils17 (07-03-2012)
Advertisement
Old 07-03-2012, 11:38 AM
General Manager

I was worried he was going to get something ridiculous like $5 mil+ since that seems to be the norm for defensemen lately (especially given Salvador's surprisingly good playoffs).

I like the cap hit, but I don't know if I would have given him 3 years. He'll be 39 when his contract is up.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:48 AM
Hall of Famer

How does he get less money than Jason Garrison???
Old 07-03-2012, 11:54 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBurger View Post
How does he get less money than Jason Garrison???
I would go with simply age, at 35 to 36 years old you are stuck with the contract no matter what, you put him in the minors, he is still on your cap. Bryce's age is a big factor when contracts are being signed, thats why teams try and get older players for shorter terms, if there carrers take a downwards spiral, it is not a long term problem, if you sign a older player long term, make sure the cap hit is freindly, and digestible for the amount of time if he does go south in a hurry....
Old 07-03-2012, 11:55 AM
Hall of Famer

Devils can well afford Salvador, they have plenty of dough now that Parise is going elsewhere.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:03 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefs for Life View Post
I would go with simply age, at 35 to 36 years old you are stuck with the contract no matter what, you put him in the minors, he is still on your cap. Bryce's age is a big factor when contracts are being signed, thats why teams try and get older players for shorter terms, if there carrers take a downwards spiral, it is not a long term problem, if you sign a older player long term, make sure the cap hit is freindly, and digestible for the amount of time if he does go south in a hurry....
I have no problem with Garrison getting more years than Salvador, but the fact that he's making over a million more per year is surprising.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:08 PM
Hall of Famer

Great price for Sal. I thought he was definitely going to get around $4 mil a year. He was rock solid all season and even better in the playoffs. No NTC or NMC makes it even better.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:01 PM
Hall of Famer

This is a good move by the Devils.

It rewards a player that had a very good season for them and keeps the team strong at defense. It gives the players a guy who will stick up for them.

Solid move.

Tags
bryce salvador, new jersey devils