arrangements
Go Back   hockeyfights.com forums > NHL Forums > Player Movement & Rumors

Old 12-07-2009, 03:50 PM
Owner

Darren McCarty Retires After 15 NHL Seasons

TORONTO – Darren McCarty, a veteran of 15 NHL seasons, 13 spent in a Detroit Red Wings jersey, officially announced his retirement from the National Hockey League today.

McCarty, 37, a four-time Stanley Cup winner (1997, 1998, 2002, 2008), appeared in 758 NHL games in his career and recorded 127 goals, 288 points and 1,477 penalty minutes. His Stanley Cup-winning goal in the 1997 Stanley Cup Final against the Philadelphia Flyers helped end the Red Wings’ 42-year-old Stanley Cup drought.

“I’m very proud to have played for as long as I did, with so many great teammates and to have been a part of all those strong teams, especially the four Stanley Cup-winning teams in Detroit,” said McCarty. “Playing with and against the best players in the world for the past 15 years has been an amazing experience. I’d like to thank my family, teammates, coaches, the Red Wings and Flames organizations, and the fans for helping me realize my dreams.”

A product of the Ontario Hockey League’s Belleville Bulls, McCarty played three seasons of junior hockey – including the 1991-92 OHL season that saw him score 55 goals and 127 points – before he was drafted in the second round, 46th overall in the 1992 NHL Entry Draft by the Detroit Red Wings. McCarty made his NHL debut in the 1993-94 season with the Red Wings, playing in 67 games in his rookie season. He scored his first career NHL point on October 8, 1993 in Los Angeles and his first career NHL goal on October 21, 1993 against Bob Essensa of the Winnipeg Jets.

McCarty, born in Burnaby, British Columbia, quickly solidified his spot as a regular in Detroit’s lineup and, also, as a fan favourite. From 1995-96 through 1998-99, McCarty recorded at least 14 goals and 100 penalty minutes in each season. In 1996-97, he enjoyed his personal best season, scoring 19 goals and 30 assists for 49 points, to go along with 126 penalty minutes. McCarty always seemed to save his best performances for the playoffs, with 49 points in 174 career playoff games, including six game-winning goals. In the spring of 1997, McCarty helped lead the Red Wings to their first Stanley Cup championship in 42 years. On June 7, 1997, McCarty scored the game-winning and Stanley Cup-clinching goal against the Flyers in Game Four of the Stanley Cup Final. In the 2002 playoffs, McCarty scored a natural hat-trick in Game One of the Western Conference Finals against the rival Colorado Avalanche, en route to helping the Red Wings win another Stanley Cup.

He signed with the Calgary Flames in 2005, where he played in 99 regular season games and seven playoff games over two seasons. He never hid his love for the city of Detroit and the pride he felt in playing for the Red Wings. It was therefore fitting, that following his two seasons in Calgary, Darren had the chance to finish his career and hoist his fourth and final Stanley Cup in a Red Wings sweater. After working his way back into the Red Wings lineup, McCarty played in 17 games in the 2008 playoffs and helped the Red Wings win the 2008 Stanley Cup, his fourth championship. He returned to play 13 regular season games in 2008-09, his final NHL season.

Always one to play with his heart on his sleeve, McCarty cemented his reputation as a character and a good teammate. Throughout his career, he endeared himself immensely to the fans in Detroit with his passion and blue-collar approach. A member of the Red Wings’ famous ‘Grind Line’ along with Kris Draper and Kirk Maltby, McCarty was always a source of toughness, energy and excitement on a nightly basis.

Away from the rink, the native of Leamington, Ontario, pursued many interests, including his support of numerous charitable initiatives in the Detroit area and making music with his rock band, ‘Grinder’. He became one of the most recognizable Red Wings players in and around Detroit and frequently made guest appearances on many radio and television programs in the city. In 2003, McCarty earned the NHL Foundation Player Award for his commitment, perseverance and teamwork, values he applied to help enrich the lives of people in the Detroit community.

“It was a great ride. I appreciate what the game has given me and I’m happy with what I was able to accomplish as a hockey player, but now I’m excited for the next chapter,” said McCarty.

Darren will reside in Troy, Michigan and looks forward to spending time with his four children.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to VodkaFish For This Useful Post:
Gunslinger (12-07-2009), lefthook1 (12-07-2009), Mojo Pockets (12-07-2009), MrFrost (12-07-2009), thepolishkid88 (12-08-2009)
Advertisement
Old 12-07-2009, 03:59 PM
Hall of Famer

Didn't he already announce this and work a game for Versus?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PuckHogs29 For This Useful Post:
BrianTheAdsFan (12-07-2009), forsberg21 (12-07-2009), grits207 (12-07-2009)
Old 12-07-2009, 04:01 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skorka85 View Post
Didn't he already announce this and work a game for Versus?
He's taken a lot of punches to the head. Probably forgot.

- Sloth
Old 12-07-2009, 04:03 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROKEN*ORBITAL View Post
He's taken a lot of punches to the head. Probably forgot.
McCarty probably meant to have a press release about something else and copy and pasted the wrong article.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:13 PM
Hall of Famer

oh well.......miss ya mac
Old 12-07-2009, 04:15 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
McCarty probably meant to have a press release about something else and copy and pasted the wrong article.
You're probably right. Unfortunately, that means nobody knows about his ebay auctions page, where he is selling his hockey memorabillia to help pay his bills.

- Sloth
Old 12-07-2009, 04:39 PM
Hall of Famer

Best of luck buddy. You'll be missed in the NHL!
Old 12-07-2009, 04:53 PM
Coach

Maybe the paperwork didn't go through until now.

Darren McCarty Retires, Officially
Old 12-07-2009, 06:04 PM
Veteran

Terrific role player.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:34 PM
Super All-Star

Quote:
Campbell probably gave his paperwork a 5 game suspension.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J_Shelley45 For This Useful Post:
Godly_goon (12-08-2009), Viper207 (12-08-2009)
Old 12-07-2009, 07:46 PM
Hall of Famer

One of my all time favorites.

Retarded is tarded..... twice
The Following User Says Thank You to MrFrost For This Useful Post:
FreakNasty (12-08-2009)
Old 12-07-2009, 07:46 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROKEN*ORBITAL View Post
You're probably right. Unfortunately, that means nobody knows about his ebay auctions page, where he is selling his hockey memorabillia to help pay his bills.
He's just another sad example of a sports figure who figured his accountant was looking out for him instead of looking out for himself. Keep an eye on your own money folks or it could be you. Lucky for me I'm dirt poor and can't afford investmenst or I'd go broke.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gunslinger For This Useful Post:
Mojo Pockets (12-07-2009)
Old 12-07-2009, 08:27 PM
Hall of Famer

He's slated to return to the Versus network as an analyst in late Dec. A personal favorite, it was a tough pill to swallow when Detroit decided not to resign him, instead he signed as a UFA with Calgary.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:34 PM
Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
He's just another sad example of a sports figure who figured his accountant was looking out for him instead of looking out for himself.
I vaguely recall something like this. I was more under the impression that he had drank and snorted it all away. When he was here in Calgary I think he hit rock-bottom and gambled away the rest. He's fought a ton of demons in his time and he comeback a few years ago was a great story.

I looked up his stats, and the guy hit double-digits in goal totals 6 times in his career - he was no goon. I've always appreciate guys like McCarty who brought more to the rink than just fighting abilities, compared to the more one-dimensional gorilla goon. Good luck to you, Darren!

- The Duke of Wellington after the Battle of Waterloo, June 18, 1815.
The Following User Says Thank You to canuckfan For This Useful Post:
FreakNasty (12-08-2009)
Old 12-07-2009, 09:15 PM
All-Star

was the last bit of toughness that played in detroit, since then they have been soft!

Tags
darren mccarty, detroit red wings