Old 07-11-2012, 10:32 AM
News Junkie

Capitals Sign Zach Hamill to One-Year Contract

ARLINGTON, Va. The Washington Capitals have re-signed center Zach Hamill to a one-year contract, vice president and general manager George McPhee announced today.

Hamill, 23, recorded 21 points (eight goals, 13 assists) in 41 games last season with the Providence Bruins of the American Hockey League (AHL). The 511, 180-pound center tallied two assists in 16 games with the Boston Bruins in 2011-12. In 20 career NHL games, Hamill has collected four assists and has registered 139 points (44 goals, 95 assists) in 256 career AHL games.

The Vancouver, British Columbia, native was originally drafted by Boston in the first round (eighth overall) in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft. Hamill won the Bobby Clarke trophy for amassing the most points (93) in the Western Hockey League (WHL) with the Everett Silvertips during the 2006-07 season. He was acquired by Washington from Boston in exchange for Chris Bourque on May 26, 2012.
Advertisement
Old 07-11-2012, 10:48 AM
Hall of Famer

Hamill's style hasn't translated well to the pro game. Seems like his ceiling is a bottom 6 forward, but is more likely to spend the majority of his career bouncing between the NHL and AHL.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:08 PM
Veteran

Kinda glad to see him go. No animosity behind it, he just didn't pan out AS well as they had hoped. Played well in AHL but as Burger said, never translated to the NHL level. I'm not sure he's the type of player to ever be a bottom 6, skills seem to be top 6 type but not quite enough skill to get him a starting job. He could ride the pine for years or play his entire career in AHL.
The Following User Says Thank You to farcyde21 For This Useful Post:
blackngold (07-12-2012)
Old 07-11-2012, 12:08 PM
Super All-Star

2-way i hope?
Old 07-11-2012, 12:20 PM
Hall of Famer

Hamil does have skill,but he's been pushed around due to smallish size. I see him as a forever AHL'er,with call-ups to the big club when an injury arises. And to think the B's could have drafted Logan Couture,instead of Hamil. Urrrgh!
Old 07-11-2012, 06:24 PM
Hall of Famer

He seems like one of two types of guys McPhee has a real hard on for: guys with potential that end up being career minor leaugers. (the other being big guys who wont use their size.)
"The season before that, I had a really good camp, had some goals, and still got sent down to the minors. I needed to figure out a way to make the opening night roster. And talking to a good friend of mine, he said 'You've got to fight.' He said, 'If you don't do it, someone else will,' and I kind of stick by that motto now."

-Matt Hendricks
The Following User Says Thank You to caps87 For This Useful Post:
MattBurger (07-11-2012)

Tags
washington capitals, zach hamill