Old 07-02-2012, 07:20 PM
News Junkie

Capitals Sign Jack Hillen

ARLINGTON, Va. – The Washington Capitals have signed defenseman Jack Hillen to a one-year contract, vice president and general manager George McPhee announced today. In keeping with club policy, financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Hillen, 26, recorded six points (two goals, four assists) and 20 penalty minutes in 55 games with the Nashville Predators last season. He finished the season eighth on Nashville in plus/minus (plus-six) and tied for eighth in blocked shots (65). Hillen made his NHL playoff debut last season, appearing in two games of the Western Conference quarterfinal series vs. Detroit.

The Minnetonka, Minnesota, native has collected 56 points (10 goals, 46 assists) and 129 penalty minutes in 230 career NHL games with the New York Islanders and Nashville. He posted career highs in goals (four), assists (tied; 18), points (22) and penalty minutes (45) during the 2010-11 campaign with the Islanders and tallied one assist in six games with the United States during the 2010 World Championships.

The 5’10”, 190-pound blueliner spent four seasons with Colorado College of the WCHA, where he was teammates with newly acquired Capital Joey Crabb. Hillen earned WCHA Defensive Player of the Year, WCHA First All-Star Team and NCAA (West) First All-American Team honors during his senior season in 2008. He was originally signed as an undrafted free agent by the New York Islanders on April 1, 2008.

Last edited by chilly666; 07-03-2012 at 09:24 AM.
Advertisement
Old 07-03-2012, 12:31 AM
Content Team

Hillen looks like a good addition to the Caps blue line. I like it.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:29 AM
Hall of Famer

Still havent seen anything on this yet but if its true, kind of a meh signing for me. Probably because i've only seen him in a handful of games. Anyone got any insight on him?
"The season before that, I had a really good camp, had some goals, and still got sent down to the minors. I needed to figure out a way to make the opening night roster. And talking to a good friend of mine, he said 'You've got to fight.' He said, 'If you don't do it, someone else will,' and I kind of stick by that motto now."

-Matt Hendricks

Tags
jack hillen, washington capitals