Old 01-13-2012, 03:23 PM
News Junkie

Capitals Place Mike Green On LTIR

Quote:
It appears Mike Green's return is at least a few weeks away.

According to the Washington Post, the Washington Capitals placed Green on the long-term injured list on Thursday meaning he won't be back in the lineup before February 1st.
TSN
Advertisement
Old 01-16-2012, 10:58 PM
Hall of Famer

Out 4-6 weeks with abdominal surgery. He's as bad as Rick DiPietro

Quote:
Capitals defenseman Mike Green will undergo an abdominal surgery and is expected to miss four to six weeks, a team spokesman said Monday afternoon.

The two-time Norris Trophy finalist, who was placed on the long-term injured list last week, has played in just 10 of Washington’s 43 games this season. He missed 23 games from Nov. 12 to Jan. 3 with a strained right groin muscle and then on Jan. 7, just two games into his return, he aggravated his groin injury against San Jose. He was forced to leave that contest after playing just 7 minutes 11 seconds.

The surgery, which is scheduled for Tuesday, according to a league source, is to repair the damage from the now-chronic groin injury.

Over the past two seasons, Green, 26, has been sidelined by injuries to his shoulder, knee and hip flexor, a pair of concussions, a twisted right ankle and most recently the groin strain. Since Feb. 8 of last season, he has missed 60 of the Capitals’ last 72 regular season games because of injuries.

The Calgary native will earn $5 million this season in the final year of his current contract, a four-year deal worth $21 million, and become a restricted free agent this summer.

General Manager George McPhee was not immediately available to comment on Green’s status and the decision to move forward with surgery.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capitals-insider
"The season before that, I had a really good camp, had some goals, and still got sent down to the minors. I needed to figure out a way to make the opening night roster. And talking to a good friend of mine, he said 'You've got to fight.' He said, 'If you don't do it, someone else will,' and I kind of stick by that motto now."

-Matt Hendricks
The Following User Says Thank You to caps87 For This Useful Post:
DaleHunter32 (01-17-2012)
Old 01-17-2012, 08:00 AM
Super All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by caps87 View Post
Out 4-6 weeks with abdominal surgery. He's as bad as Rick DiPietro

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capitals-insider
healthy just in time for the trade deadline?
Old 01-17-2012, 09:06 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleHunter32 View Post
Sounds about right on about that, but being injury prone will not bring them back what they expect i imagine. Kid has a huge upside to bad
Old 01-17-2012, 03:26 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleHunter32 View Post
Problem is he's going to be tough to move. Nobody wants a 5 mil a year man made of glass who will do nothing but sit on IR. And if we do find a taker, there's no way we'll get anything close to what I'd consider acceptable for him. I guess right now, they're stuck with him until his contract expires, and left hoping he somehow gets and stays healthy.
"The season before that, I had a really good camp, had some goals, and still got sent down to the minors. I needed to figure out a way to make the opening night roster. And talking to a good friend of mine, he said 'You've got to fight.' He said, 'If you don't do it, someone else will,' and I kind of stick by that motto now."

-Matt Hendricks

Tags
injured reserve, mike green, washington capitals