hockeyfights.com forums

hockeyfights.com forums (http://www.hockeyfights.com/forums/)
-   Player Movement & Rumors (http://www.hockeyfights.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Capitals Acquire Joe Corvo in Exchange for Pothier, Osala and Draft Pick (http://www.hockeyfights.com/forums/f15/capitals-acquire-joe-corvo-exchange-pothier-osala-draft-pick-137836/)

ScottRasner 03-03-2010 03:09 PM

Capitals Acquire Joe Corvo in Exchange for Pothier, Osala and Draft Pick

ARLINGTON, Va. – The Washington Capitals have acquired defenseman Joe Corvo from the Carolina Hurricanes in exchange for defenseman Brian Pothier, forward Oskar Osala and a second-round pick in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft, vice president and general manager George McPhee announced today.

Corvo (KORE-voh), 32, is in his eighth NHL season and his third with Carolina. The 6’0”, 204-pound native of Oak Park, Ill., has four goals, eight assists and only 12 penalty minutes in 34 games for the Hurricanes this year. Corvo was drafted by the Los Angeles Kings in the fourth round with the 83rd overall pick in the 1997 NHL Draft. He has played in 468 career NHL games with Los Angeles, Ottawa and Carolina and has recorded 66 goals and 146 assists.

Corvo previously played for Washington coach Bruce Boudreau when both were with the AHL’s Lowell Lock Monsters (2000-01) and the Manchester Monarchs (2001-03). He had 31 goals and 78 assists in 183 games under Boudreau.

Pothier (POH-thee-uhr), 32, is a 10-year pro who has spent the last four seasons with the Capitals. The New Bedford., Mass., native had four goals and seven assists in 41 games with the Capitals this season.

Osala (OH-sah-lah), 22, was Washington’s fourth-round selection, 97th overall, in the 2006 NHL Entry Draft. He has spent most of the past two seasons with the Hershey Bears of the American Hockey League, appearing in two games for the Capitals last season. He has 15 goals and 14 assists in 53 games for the Bears this season.

caps87 03-03-2010 03:10 PM

For Pothier and Osala.

I guess he's a slight upgrade over Pothier. Gives us a little more O.

JKidd 03-03-2010 03:12 PM

A hell of a point trigger man on the power play... should make that PP even more deadly.

Good pick up for the given up pieces.

Still didn't acquire enough toughness, IMO, for the playoffs.

goaliefighter 03-03-2010 03:14 PM

are the caps trying to find dmen to turnover the puck more? PP is good, see no real reason for close to 10 dmen and 2 of them being jurcina and corvo

caps87 03-03-2010 03:16 PM

Caps also gave up a 2nd rounder. Win Carolina.

The Boogie Man 03-03-2010 03:18 PM

sweet deal for Carolina. worth waiting til the last second.

Mr. America 03-03-2010 03:20 PM

Canes have really raped the Caps today. Corvo is only ok some of the time. He isn't great or anything. But we get Pothier, Osala, AND a 2nd for him? Talk about lopsidded trade.

Mike Tython 03-03-2010 03:21 PM

Jesus. Washington got jobbed.

DaleHunter32 03-03-2010 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caps87 (Post 1950554)
Caps also gave up a 2nd rounder. Win Carolina.

really gmgm... did we need to give up all that for a poor mans mike green. i was fine with the players in this deal. Osala has been an underachiever, potsy is up at years end, but the 2nd rounder puts the trade over the top, b/c i find it extremely hard to believe he re-signs here

win carolina

BigBadWolf1171 03-03-2010 03:28 PM

i dont like this trade but i can live with it i guess, but WTF with jurcina? hes got a sports hernia..what am i missing here?

canuckfan 03-03-2010 03:37 PM

I don't know about what some guys are saying here - Osala was once real high on the Caps prospect chart, but has slid backwards dramatically. Recently he barely cracked the top 10 in the Caps prospect chart, according to THN. And Pothier has been healthy recently, but has a history of concussions.

Corvo's had a tough year to say the least, but if he can get his game back on track by playoff time, he could represent a huge upgrade on the Caps blueline, especially on the PP.

I like this trade for the caps.

BigBadWolf1171 03-03-2010 03:46 PM

So for us Caps guys, we know we needed a couple of decent Defensemen/or a couple of decent defensive forwards and toughness. So a the end of the day we gained

Walker
corvo
belanger
jurcina

and we lost

a few draft picks
osala
pothier

did we address our needs? my opinion, we did ok, not great, not bad.in the end i think we are now a better team after these trades, even though i think we coulda gotten better with a few more actual traded player. My question is, who sits for these 2 new forwards?

goaliefighter 03-03-2010 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canuckfan (Post 1950629)
I don't know about what some guys are saying here - Osala was once real high on the Caps prospect chart, but has slid backwards dramatically. Recently he barely cracked the top 10 in the Caps prospect chart, according to THN. And Pothier has been healthy recently, but has a history of concussions.

Corvo's had a tough year to say the least, but if he can get his game back on track by playoff time, he could represent a huge upgrade on the Caps blueline, especially on the PP.

I like this trade for the caps.

they have the number 1 PP in the league.
they have the 25th PK in the league.

They need a defensive defenseman, not corvo.

antonio106 03-03-2010 03:50 PM

There was talk on the local radio that Bryan Murray wanted that sack of **** back in a Sens uniform. Glad Washington's stuck with him instead.

caps87 03-03-2010 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBadWolf1171 (Post 1950656)
So for us Caps guys, we know we needed a couple of decent Defensemen/or a couple of decent defensive forwards and toughness. So a the end of the day we gained

Walker
corvo
belanger
jurcina

and we lost

a few draft picks
osala
pothier

did we address our needs? my opinion, we did ok, not great, not bad.in the end i think we are now a better team after these trades, even though i think we coulda gotten better with a few more actual traded player. My question is, who sits for these 2 new forwards?

Sort of. We added a little grit, but we needed a legit shut down Dman, which we didnt get.

As for who sits, we could send Laing down. After that I dont know. Maybe Bradley will be out for a while?...