Go Back   hockeyfights.com forums > NHL Forums > Player Movement & Rumors

Old 06-25-2013, 04:53 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjack View Post
I don't know what you were watching.
In the playoffs, Richards was so bad that he was finally benched after scoring one point in the playoffs. Nash was a disaster with one goal and 5 points in the playoffs. Staal was out injured the entire playoffs save one game where he tried to come back and play?
Clowe, who was an important addition at the trade deadline, was injured and only played in two games out of the 12.
Combined Richards and Nash scored 2 goals and 6 points in 22 playoff games. Richards admitted that he sucked, Nash actually had the nerve to say that he played good!
That is fuc*en scary!
It just seemed he choked the offense out of that team. Everyone had to be a checker?
When you got a goalie like Henry and some scorer's you dont have to try to win every game 1-0.
The Following User Says Thank You to canuck2 For This Useful Post:
bigjack (06-25-2013)
Advertisement
Old 06-25-2013, 05:26 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HordiBrusk29 View Post
Tortorella just said the Sedin's will block shots and kill penalties. That is going to be interesting to see!
Hitting the corners and banging bodies is phase two of Fonzi's ultimate makeover of the Sedins.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:36 PM
Hall of Famer

Torts is the kind of coach the Penguins' pampered asses needed, but instead, we're stuck with Mr. Rogers for the next 2 years and will continue to be Cup-less.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:12 PM
Hall of Famer

Let's wait and see before judging. As for the Sedins Henrik is particular was often put out towards the end of penalties anyway, averaged 9 seconds but was sometimes more like 25. I bet blocking shots will be more of an adjustment for them.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:16 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck2 View Post
It just seemed he choked the offense out of that team. Everyone had to be a checker?
When you got a goalie like Henry and some scorer's you dont have to try to win every game 1-0.
I know that is the easy excuse but it's on the players. I watched them handle the puck like a hand grenade and choke with many scoring opportunities and pass the puck like sh*t. You watch the Rangers passing and the Bruins and Black Hawks passing and how the defenseman were able to handle crisp passes out to the points and it is so obvious.
Richards suddenly sucks and that is Torts fault? No it was the huge money and pressure of playing in NY!
Nash with one goal on 42 playoff shots and that is Torts fault?
Richards with one goal and one point in 10 playoff games?

To his credit, Richards admitted that he sucked but Nash was scary thinking he played good playoff hockey?

Richards is in Tampa Bay playing for Torts in 2004 and scored 12 goals and 26 points in 23 playoff games to win a Cup and now with the same coach and same system Richards isn't to blame?

How about Brassard?

He was known as a major disappointment in Columbus as the number 6 pick and comes to NY and scored 23 points in 25 games under Torts with 7 goals and 16 assists. He comes to NY and handled the pressure of making the playoffs and then led the Rangers in scoring in the playoffs!
Brassard played the same system as everyone else did and yet he did great under Torts?

It's like years ago:

Mike Gartner comes to NY and was great scoring 173 goals in 322 games as an older player and second line winger.

Pat Verbeek comes to NY and played great also as a Ranger scoring 51 goals and 97 points in 88 games. One of Neil Smith's worst moves was letting Verbeek walk for nothing.

Then Luc Robitaille comes to NY and was Mr Gag and choke artist who couldn't handle NY. Lousy Luc played 146 games as a Ranger and scored a whopping 47 goals and 117 points.
He sucked!
In the playoffs, Lousy Luc scored a whopping 5 goals in 26 games with the Rangers.

How about the players looking in the mirror for a change? I like Ryan McDonagh a lot but in the playoffs he had so many good opportunities in the offensive zone and kept screwing up. Boston's defense handled the puck with poise against the Rangers and made plays. The Rangers defenseman screwed up so many passes and kept missing the net with their shots on goal!

Torts biggest mistakes were the media and his PP but even there the players have to produce and play with poise!

Richards scores 12 goals and 26 points under Torts in the 2004 playoffs.
Richards scored 1 goal and 1 point under Torts in the 2013 playoffs.

They can fill the net on this guy tonight!
Phil Esposito
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigjack For This Useful Post:
Draps (06-26-2013), mikebflorida (06-26-2013)
Old 06-26-2013, 09:41 AM
Hall of Famer

Richards also won the Conn Smythe in 2003-04.

That team won more trophies than a Chinese ping pong team with Torts at the helm so to say he's not a good coach is ludicrous.

Not sure what else to say except to wish him good luck and hope people give him a chance. If you don't want Torts as coach in Vancouver, who do you want? John Stevens? Really?

I love his stance on player accountability. These guys make tons of money and need to do their jobs and it's his job to make sure they do theirs. What's wrong with that?
bigjack (06-26-2013)
Old 06-26-2013, 10:09 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebflorida View Post
Richards also won the Conn Smythe in 2003-04.

That team won more trophies than a Chinese ping pong team with Torts at the helm so to say he's not a good coach is ludicrous.

Not sure what else to say except to wish him good luck and hope people give him a chance. If you don't want Torts as coach in Vancouver, who do you want? John Stevens? Really?

I love his stance on player accountability. These guys make tons of money and need to do their jobs and it's his job to make sure they do theirs. What's wrong with that?
I hate to be a naysayer but your analogy with respect to more trophies than a Chinese "ping pong" team is woefully inaccurate given the dominance of the Chinese on the international TABLE TENNIS stage.

Torts has been good, no doubt, but not that good.

I do like how he'll tell a reporter off here and there.
cookie monster (06-27-2013)
Old 06-26-2013, 10:29 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flex_buff_chest View Post
I hate to be a naysayer but your analogy with respect to more trophies than a Chinese "ping pong" team is woefully inaccurate given the dominance of the Chinese on the international TABLE TENNIS stage.

Torts has been good, no doubt, but not that good.

I do like how he'll tell a reporter off here and there.
Did you actually just correct me by saying Table Tennis instead of Ping Pong?

It's ping pong and I'll hear nothing more about it!

Old 06-26-2013, 10:51 AM
Hall of Famer

We can pull out all of Tort's accomplishments, but in the end of the day what has he done lately, yes he had one magical run in Tampa Bay, after that what has he done.. Presidents trophies and division title banners don't hang from the rafters in New York. People don't remember who lost the Stanley cup, and what position they finished in unless it is first place.

I watched his press conference yesterday, that is the kind of coach I want to see, A guy that answers questions, intelligently and politely, of course the media in Canada isn't there to set him off, they usually will not ask the obvious Brooksie type questions, In my books the first presser by him was a home run..
Old 06-26-2013, 11:26 AM
Hall of Famer

I seem to be in the minority here, but I have no problem with Torts.
I hope the Canucks do well under his tutelage.

We won't give pause until the blood is flowing.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:35 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebflorida View Post
Did you actually just correct me by saying Table Tennis instead of Ping Pong?

It's ping pong and I'll hear nothing more about it!
Yes, it's the FASTEST racket sport in the world.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:59 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck2 View Post
So what happened two years ago or four years ago with Gaborik as an example. He scores over 40 goals in those two years and played like sh*t last year so it's not on Gaborik but on Torts?
How about Marty St Louis or Vinny Lecavalier who was a floater when Torts got a hold of him and under Torts he was pushed and kicked in the ass and what did we see?
Lecavalier had his best years under Torts scoring:
33 goals
32 goals
35 goals
52 goals
40 goals

Now in the last 4 years without Torts how has Lecavalier played? He's back to the floater underachiever fair hockey player in what should be his prime years?

St Louis who is an overachiever and works his ass off really improved under Torts. At age 27 he went from 35 points to 70 points to leading the NHL in points one year under Torts and just kept playing solid hockey as evidenced by his leading the NHL in points this year at age 37.
BTW:
He also weighs 175 pounds and for years I was told here that a Gordie Howe would be a 4th line winger at best because he was small at 6"0' and 205 pounds and today's players are super human and all weigh 230 pounds and bla bla bla and all I see are many of the best players are in Howe's size range or smaller like a St Louis!
5"8' and 175 pounds and 37 years old and yet St Louis is still able to play great and learned and really improved under Torts?
Funny but Torts didn't hold him back!

Phil Esposito
The Following User Says Thank You to bigjack For This Useful Post:
mikebflorida (06-27-2013)
Old 06-26-2013, 12:10 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefs for Life View Post
We can pull out all of Tort's accomplishments, but in the end of the day what has he done lately, yes he had one magical run in Tampa Bay, after that what has he done.. Presidents trophies and division title banners don't hang from the rafters in New York. People don't remember who lost the Stanley cup, and what position they finished in unless it is first place.

I watched his press conference yesterday, that is the kind of coach I want to see, A guy that answers questions, intelligently and politely, of course the media in Canada isn't there to set him off, they usually will not ask the obvious Brooksie type questions, In my books the first presser by him was a home run..
With his level of talent in NY, he did a solid job. I don't remember seeing the Islander or Edmonton talent from the 1980's on his roster and he played a lot of rookies also that developed. Winning around 60% of his games with that roster wasn't bad.
People throw this word great around with Nash and I sure don't see it. I wrote last year that he was overrated and wouldn't trade a lot for him and was proven right thus far. Nash has some great games and many games where he is invisible and he is a poor finisher. With the amount of shots that he takes, he ought to scoring 45 to 50 goals every year and doesn't.
In the playoffs he scored 1 goal on 42 shots.
What a disgrace!
Back to Torts, I don't think anyone ever wrote a great job but a very solid job save his terrible PP that sucked. With a decent PP, the Rangers might have won a Cup two years ago.
Lombardi said you win the title or you are a loser. That is what pro sports is. Win a title or else.

However Torts was Joe Jerkoff with the media and that was ridiculous. I don't think anyone would dispute that?
Tom Coughlin was the same way with the Giants and changed a little and now it's Grand Pa Tom and Uncle Tom because he and Eli won two titles.

Phil Esposito
Old 06-26-2013, 12:32 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
So what happened two years ago or four years ago with Gaborik as an example. He scores over 40 goals in those two years and played like sh*t last year so it's not on Gaborik but on Torts?
How about Marty St Louis or Vinny Lecavalier who was a floater when Torts got a hold of him and under Torts he was pushed and kicked in the ass and what did we see?
33 goals
32 goals
35 goals
52 goals
40 goals

Now in the last 4 years without Torts how has Lecavalier played? He's back to the floater underachiever fair hockey player in what should be his prime years?

St Louis who is an overachiever and works his ass off really improved under Torts. At age 27 he went from 35 points to 70 points to leading the NHL in points one year under Torts and just kept playing solid hockey as evidenced by his leading the NHL in points this year at age 37.
BTW:
He also weighs 175 pounds and for years I was told here that a Gordie Howe would be a 4th line winger at best because he was small at 6"0' and 205 pounds and today's players are super human and all weigh 230 pounds and bla bla bla and all I see are many of the best players are in Howe's size range or smaller like a St Louis!
5"8' and 175 pounds and 37 years old and yet St Louis is still able to play great and learned and really improved under Torts?
Vinny and Martin both were in the primes of their respective careers and were superstar hockey players. they would have put up those numbers under scotty bowman.
Interesting you mention Gaborik. His play was very inconsistant in NY and he ended up being traded. Did they miss his offense in this years playoffs?

I dont follow the Rangers like you do, so I do respect your opinion. It's always solid.

But I watch a lot of playoff hockey and thought the Rangers could have had more offensive flow to their game. Every game seemed to be wanting to be played 1-0. Last year it just wore the team down.
The Following User Says Thank You to canuck2 For This Useful Post:
bigjack (06-26-2013)
Old 06-26-2013, 12:51 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
33 goals
32 goals
35 goals
52 goals
40 goals

BTW:

You are looking at a young Healthy Lecavalier from seven to ten years ago, to the often injured, broken down Vinny that has been playing for the past few seasons, not really a fair way to compare...

It has been Years since St Louis played for Torts, but it seems that St Louis is only get better with age like a fine wine, Or the fact that he is playing with a young bonifide sniper in Steven Stamkos, I think the fact that he is playing with Stamkos rejuvenated his career..

Only three times in John's career has john got out of the first round of the play-off, that is 3 for 13, yes one time the squirrel found the nut and won the cup, but after that it was a conference final, and a second round loss...

It is funny that it is Nash, Gaborik and Richards fault, we can pull out all the stats you want, but in the end of the day, you can't trade the whole team, An if one or two players quit on the team as the coach you can work around that, but when the whole team quits on the coach, there must be a bigger problem. It is easier to fire the coach than 24 players.

Tags
head coach, john tortorella, vancouver canucks