#31 (permalink)  
Old 01-15-2013, 04:54 PM
FurnaceFace's Avatar
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Vancouver-Calgary
Posts: 6,020
Id also slot vandy ahead of barker, joslin , tanev and alberts
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #32 (permalink)  
Old 01-15-2013, 05:09 PM
HordiBrusk29's Avatar
General Manager
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 38,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciccarelli View Post
I fear Vandemeer will not play much in Vancouver, don't they have a lot of d-men already? Ballard, Edler, Bieksa, Garrison, Hamhuis, Joslin, Tanev, Barker, Alberts...where does Vandemeer fit in there?
Hence the two way contract. I doubt he spends the entire year in the NHL.
Reply With Quote
  #33 (permalink)  
Old 01-15-2013, 05:27 PM
brymaster1's Avatar
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: California
Posts: 3,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciccarelli View Post
I fear Vandemeer will not play much in Vancouver, don't they have a lot of d-men already? Ballard, Edler, Bieksa, Garrison, Hamhuis, Joslin, Tanev, Barker, Alberts...where does Vandemeer fit in there?
Maybe he plays on the 4th line, when they play the other team in the west who actually has someone who will fight him....
__________________
“We’re doing it ourselves. We’re not children. We’re not unknowing combatants in this ring. We’re completely aware of what can happen, what, at one point or another, will happen.” - Kevin Westgarth (after being KO'd)

Los Angeles Kings 2012 & 2014 Stanley Cup champions!
Reply With Quote
  #34 (permalink)  
Old 01-16-2013, 01:00 PM
Gunslinger's Avatar
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Huddersfield
Posts: 6,785
I believe the Canucks had 9 d-men before signing Vandy. Farm time baring an injury.
__________________
"First they came for the Socialists, and I did not speak out-Because I was not a Socialist. Then they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not speak out-Because I was not a Trade Unionist. Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out-Because I was not a Jew. Then they came for me-and there was no one left to speak for me." Pastor Martin Miemoller
Reply With Quote
  #35 (permalink)  
Old 01-16-2013, 01:17 PM
Stevens Lindros's Avatar
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Northern Hemisphere
Posts: 5,030
Vancouver gets the most injuries in the league and Vandermeer's definitely slotted in higher up then Joslin and possibly Barker. He'll get some time in the show for sure, as 4th line wing and/or bottom-pairing D-man.
Reply With Quote
  #36 (permalink)  
Old 01-16-2013, 06:59 PM
GIANTSFAN's Avatar
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: giantsland
Posts: 4,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by NameyMD View Post
what, you mean something specific? like he's a complete douche or something?
I have no idea why he's moved around so much but guys don't move around for no reason.
__________________
Canuck Nation is an embarrassment to "true" hockey fans.
Reply With Quote
  #37 (permalink)  
Old 01-16-2013, 07:27 PM
FurnaceFace's Avatar
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Vancouver-Calgary
Posts: 6,020
I think the reason why hes moved around so much is .. Teams undervalue guys like vandy. How many guys do we see get sent down , and resign elsewhere. Look at konopka. Big mac , mcgrattan pl3 , countless others. I dont think its about his character. And am not going to start thinkin that way bout anyone. Unless proved otherwise

also fighters / role players are hot items at trade deadline. so hence they are added for depth, and let go if the didnt score alot of points or become a big role on that team, or are in demand free agent time and sign elsewhere. for better money. the life of a role player / goon / tough guys is a hard one.

Last edited by chilly666; 01-16-2013 at 09:42 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #38 (permalink)  
Old 01-16-2013, 09:39 PM
BrianTheAdsFan's Avatar
Coach
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 13,619
Welcome to Chicago Jimmy.

They need you.
__________________
What happens on the ice...Stays on the ice...
Reply With Quote
  #39 (permalink)  
Old 01-18-2013, 01:43 AM
FurnaceFace's Avatar
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Vancouver-Calgary
Posts: 6,020
Joslin was put on waviers earlier today. we will see who else goes down tomorrow. I think he makes the roster for the nucks.
Reply With Quote
  #40 (permalink)  
Old 01-18-2013, 10:17 AM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by NameyMD View Post
what, you mean something specific? like he's a complete douche or something?
The local paper reported he was signed by the Nucks at the request of numerous current players who thought so highly of his character, and toughness.

He moves around a lot b/c he's just not good enough of a d-man. There's a good chance if he sticks he may end up as a 4th line forward.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GassiusClay For This Useful Post:
Gunslinger (01-18-2013)
  #41 (permalink)  
Old 01-18-2013, 01:19 PM
FurnaceFace's Avatar
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Vancouver-Calgary
Posts: 6,020
He played last night squad game at RW. Wasnt cut today. And yeah I heaed kevin bieksa and hammy were leading the pack on the vandy compain
Reply With Quote
  #42 (permalink)  
Old 01-18-2013, 02:51 PM
ThrowdownSJ408's Avatar
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,430
Vandermeer played 5 games last year as a 4th ling wing. he scrapped in one of those also. he could really help prevent the 4th line getting scored on having realistically 3 D man out there. I like the idea a lot.
__________________
SF Giants 2010 World Champs!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ThrowdownSJ408 For This Useful Post:
FurnaceFace (01-18-2013)
  #43 (permalink)  
Old 01-18-2013, 04:02 PM
Stevens Lindros's Avatar
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Northern Hemisphere
Posts: 5,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowdownSJ408 View Post
Vandermeer played 5 games last year as a 4th ling wing. he scrapped in one of those also. he could really help prevent the 4th line getting scored on having realistically 3 D man out there. I like the idea a lot.
Yeah he scrapped twice in that game you're talking about against Boll!

It's Vandermeer, Schroeder, Volpatti, or Ebbett.

For the love of god cut Ebbett, sorry mate.

Kassian, Volpatti, Vandermeer, not too bad.
Reply With Quote
  #44 (permalink)  
Old 01-18-2013, 04:06 PM
OLLBLUEEYZ's Avatar
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Chicago
Posts: 8,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowdownSJ408 View Post
Vandermeer played 5 games last year as a 4th ling wing. he scrapped in one of those also. he could really help prevent the 4th line getting scored on having realistically 3 D man out there. I like the idea a lot.
having a defenseman play wing, doesn't equal better overall defense for that shift. If anything a defenseman not use to playing wing can lead to more defensive irresponsibility. Especially if that player isn't particularly good a playing wing.
__________________
This body holding me reminds me of my own mortality.
Embrace this moment. Remember; we are eternal,
all this pain is an illusion.
R.I.P #24
Reply With Quote
  #45 (permalink)  
Old 01-18-2013, 04:24 PM
Gunslinger's Avatar
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Huddersfield
Posts: 6,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by GassiusClay View Post
The local paper reported he was signed by the Nucks at the request of numerous current players who thought so highly of his character, and toughness.

He moves around a lot b/c he's just not good enough of a d-man. There's a good chance if he sticks he may end up as a 4th line forward.
Guys like Vandy are like you say, not good enough to stick with any one team for very long but are useful enough to keep getting picked up. He has a role and he knows what it is.
__________________
"First they came for the Socialists, and I did not speak out-Because I was not a Socialist. Then they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not speak out-Because I was not a Trade Unionist. Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out-Because I was not a Jew. Then they came for me-and there was no one left to speak for me." Pastor Martin Miemoller
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
jim vandermeer, vancouver canucks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:36 AM.


witness