Go Back   hockeyfights.com forums > NHL Forums > Player Movement & Rumors

Old 07-02-2009, 02:16 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs # 1 View Post
According to Gaineys press conference Kovalev, Plekanec and Tanguay are not in the plans right now for the team although that may change (in regards to Kovalev... maybe).

They are not going to sign anymore big players but will spend a mill here or a mill there on whoever leaving a couple mill under the cap in case of a mid season trade... so no Briere in Montreal he will end up somewhere else.

There may even be room for some up and comers like Pk Subban and others come the season start.

Going to be interesting to see how this plays out... stay tuned.
wait are you saying that Plekanec is NOT part of the plans? then why the hell qualify him in the first place? Compensation is ok, but trade him like you did with Higgins or something.

as for this signing, so far this is the only one i am somewhat satisfied with, a little bit overpaying, but in today's market, it seems like the way to go.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:58 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengino View Post
wait are you saying that Plekanec is NOT part of the plans? then why the hell qualify him in the first place? Compensation is ok, but trade him like you did with Higgins or something.

as for this signing, so far this is the only one i am somewhat satisfied with, a little bit overpaying, but in today's market, it seems like the way to go.

Nope not saying that at all... was not aware they gave a qualifying offer to Plekanec at the time... hope they sign him he is a good player.
Old 07-02-2009, 05:19 AM
Hall of Famer

Gionta 5'7
Cammalleri 5'8
Plekanec 5'10
Gomez 5'11
S. Kostitsyn 5'11
A. Kostitsyn 6'0

That makes Kovalev the biggest guy up front.
This forum is full of people that suffer from post-pubertal showing-off affectations...
Old 07-02-2009, 07:17 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciccarelli View Post
Gionta 5'7
Cammalleri 5'8
Plekanec 5'10
Gomez 5'11
S. Kostitsyn 5'11
A. Kostitsyn 6'0

That makes Kovalev the biggest guy up front.
Latendresse is 6-2 230,maxim lapierre 6-2 210,BGL 6-3 250,Gregory stewart 6-2 205,matt D,Agostini 6-1 205,Pacioretty 6-2 205,AKostitsyn is very solid ,but we on average are not overly big In the regular season when all pentalies on obstruction are called we will be fine , come playoffs when they change the rules and call nothing is a different story.
The Following User Says Thank You to mongoose For This Useful Post:
Chiefs for Life (07-02-2009)
Old 07-02-2009, 07:52 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skorka85 View Post
Yup, during Gionta's 48 goal season.
That was also the year after the lockout when the referee's were calling anything and everything.

I've always liked Gionta. He plays hard, is always grinding in front of the net and has good speed. But besides that one year after the lockout, he's never scored more than 25 goals.

To me $5 mil a year for a 20-25 goal scorer seems way too much.

Wish him the best though.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:45 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Now just imagine if Gainey signs Briere how small we would be...
I like what the Habs have done considering they've had some loses. Think about it, a bunch of sneaky, quick, lil forwards can do some damage. They would skate circles around a Chara. I have a strange feeling Gionta is going to have a big year.
Habs # 1 (07-02-2009)
Old 07-02-2009, 10:04 AM
Hall of Famer

I don't think size matters nearly as much as it did a few years ago...

I also don't think size matters as much as really good wheels...

Gainey has actually done a really good job to this point. I was all over him for the Gomez deal, but in reuniting Gomez with Gionta, he greatly increases the effectiveness of both players, and the likelihood of them succeediing.

I would try and pick up some lower end toughness (not a goon type, but a guy that can skate and play regular minutes, and if the little guys are getting abused, will step in and drop the mitts.

You could probably get Taylor Pyatt for a million, or less. He doesn't fight much, but is good enough to play regular minutes, and does stand up for his mates. He had a couple nice fights when he was playing with the Sedins. He's a very decent scrapper when he decides to be.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:24 AM
Hall of Famer

Lets look at this positionally, You have Mike Cammallerri coming in an replacing Saku koivu on the first line, who is the better player at this stage in there carreer?.. I would say Cammallerri... You Have Scott Gomez coming in an replacing Robert Lang as the second line center, Nothing bad to say about Lang but Gomez has a better upside to him, if playing with the right players, Brian Gionta is a better player than Alex Tanguay, marginally but better, Gionta is a better defensive player, who doesn't mind getting dirty along the boards an in front of the net........ Andrei kostitsyn is definatley a top six left winger on this team that posesses an really good heavy shot..... I think it is time to bring Matt D'Agostini an Max Pacioretty an give them time to develop properly in a defensively minded system, Max an Matt are very good prospects for the Canadiens, That need to be taught by the new regeim, I think we are missing a third line left winger to play between Maxim Lapierre Guillaume Latendresse.... George Laraque an Glen Metropolit will round out the fourth line with Gregory Stewart or Sergei Kostitsyn......

Gainey said that he still needs to sign another defensemen...
Jaroslav Spacek is a veteran Dman that is replacing Mathieu Schnieder, Spacek is Five years the younger, an 2.5 million dollars cheaper, an still puts up around forty points last season on a very bad Buffalo team, he also has the most ice time of any of the Buffalo dmen.....

Hall Gil is no Mike Komisarek, but he still can be a good Fifth or sixth defensemen, replacing Francis Bouillon. I think a guy like Gill is going to florish in a Trapp defence system that Martin likes to bring to the table.......

Guess only time will tell the verdict on Gainey's moves, but I am in accordance with them........
The Following User Says Thank You to Chiefs for Life For This Useful Post:
mongoose (07-03-2009)
Old 07-02-2009, 11:07 AM
Hall of Famer

Glad to see Montreal has now completed the hat trick of smurf singings. They are all good players and Gomez and Gionta should be good together as they had some magic in NJ. Saying that and even in todays NHL this is a pretty small team and maybe a little soft. Personally dont know how they would do in a playoff run. Oh well by then a few trades could be made to toughen the habs up.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:13 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
That won't make Gionta, Gomez and Cammalerri any bigger though. They really do have some small top 6 forwards.
In the new NHL does it really matter.

Gionta plays much bigger then his size anyway.

good signing I like this guy.

Are there any more Devils players Montreal could get? Scott Stevens?
Old 07-02-2009, 12:24 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck2 View Post
In the new NHL does it really matter.

Gionta plays much bigger then his size anyway.

good signing I like this guy.

Are there any more Devils players Montreal could get? Scott Stevens?
Now that defensemen have figured out how to play within the rules yes. Gionta scored 48 goals when looking at someone the wrong way was an automatic penalty post lockout. Since then his production dropped immensely. I don't think all of that was from Gomez leaving.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:39 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Now that defensemen have figured out how to play within the rules yes. Gionta scored 48 goals when looking at someone the wrong way was an automatic penalty post lockout. Since then his production dropped immensely. I don't think all of that was from Gomez leaving.
Your concern was size. Size doesnt matter a whole lot in this new NHL. Plus the little guy has some bite to his game.

With a good passer like Gomez, Giontta should raise the level of his game again.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:08 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose View Post
Latendresse is 6-2 230,maxim lapierre 6-2 210,BGL 6-3 250,Gregory stewart 6-2 205,matt D,Agostini 6-1 205,Pacioretty 6-2 205,AKostitsyn is very solid ,but we on average are not overly big In the regular season when all pentalies on obstruction are called we will be fine , come playoffs when they change the rules and call nothing is a different story.
I actually meant, they have nobody on their top 2 lines bigger then Kovalev, I know the others are bigger, but they don't score much.

Maybe you are right, but still I wouldn't be too optimistic with no scorer bigger then 6'0. They'll be seriously a contender team in the softest-team-ranking.
This forum is full of people that suffer from post-pubertal showing-off affectations...
Old 07-02-2009, 03:27 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Nope not saying that at all... was not aware they gave a qualifying offer to Plekanec at the time... hope they sign him he is a good player.
oh i wasn't accusing you of making that up, i was looking for clarification that was all. I do like Plekanec he just had a bad year along with the rest of the team, hope he can bounce back.
Habs # 1 (07-02-2009)
Old 07-02-2009, 03:29 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck2 View Post
Your concern was size. Size doesnt matter a whole lot in this new NHL. Plus the little guy has some bite to his game.

With a good passer like Gomez, Giontta should raise the level of his game again.
My point is he doesn't have the size to constantly fight through defensemen who know how to play without taking a penalty now. He was limited to a lot of shots from the circles and couldn't get to the front of the net like he did in the first year after the lockout.