Go Back   hockeyfights.com forums > NHL Forums > Player Movement & Rumors

Old 06-01-2012, 10:13 AM
News Junkie

Bruins Re-Sign Dan Paille, Also Sign Chris Bourque

BOSTON, MA – Boston Bruins General Manager Peter Chiarelli announced today, June 1, that the club has signed forward Daniel Paille to a three-year contract through the 2014-15 season and forward Chris Bourque to a two-year contract through the 2013-14 season. Paille's contract is worth $1.3 million annually over the three years of his deal. Bourque's deal will be a two-way contract in year one (2012-13) and is worth $550,000 at the NHL level and $200,000 at the American Hockey League level. In year two, it will be a one-way contract worth $550,000.

Chiarelli and Paille will be available to the media on a conference call on Friday, June 1.

The 2011-12 season marked the 28-year-old Paille's third as a member of the Boston Bruins. In his three seasons, he has skated in 186 regular season games with 25 goals, 22 assists and 55 penalty minutes. Paille has appeared in 46 postseason contests with Boston and has tallied four goals and five assists for nine points. During the Bruins 2011 Stanley Cup Championship run, Paille played in all 25 playoff games and recorded 3-3=6 totals.

For his career, the 6'1, 200-pound native of Welland, Ontario has played in 381 NHL games with Buffalo and Boston and has registered 60 goals, 64 assists and 109 penalty minutes. He was originally drafted by the Sabres in the first round (20th overall) of the 2002 NHL Entry Draft. He was acquired by the Bruins from Buffalo on October 20, 2009 for a 2010 third round pick (Kevin Sundher).

Bourque was acquired by the Bruins from the Washington Capitals on May 26, 2012 for forward Zach Hamill. The 26-year-old native of Boston, MA has skated in 33 career NHL games with Washington and Pittsburgh and notched one goal and three assists. This past season, he appeared in 73 regular season games for the Hershey Bears of the American Hockey League (AHL), and led the league in scoring after compiling 27-66=93 totals with 42 penalty minutes. In five playoff games, he tallied one goal and three assists.
The 5'8", 180-pound left wing was originally drafted by the Capitals in the second round (33rd overall) of the 2004 NHL Entry Draft.

He is the son of Ray Bourque, the Boston Bruins Hall-of-Famer who owns records for most goals, assists and points by a defenseman in the National Hockey League. Ray Bourque is also currently the Bruins all-time career leader in games played, assists, and points.

Last edited by chilly; 06-01-2012 at 04:45 PM.
Advertisement
Old 06-01-2012, 10:25 AM
Hall of Famer

Great deal on Paille. I just feel bad Chris Bourque is on their payroll. Just hope he never gets to the NHL level.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:47 AM
Hall of Famer

I like Paille's grittiness, but I was hoping Lane MacDermid would take his spot on the 4th line next season.
The Following User Says Thank You to MattBurger For This Useful Post:
HordiBrusk29 (06-02-2012)
Old 06-01-2012, 03:30 PM
Super All-Star

Next they need to get Kelly signed and dump Corvo.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:26 PM
Hall of Famer

Good signing, Paille is great on the penalty kill and has excellent speed. Could care less about Ray's son.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:42 PM
Hall of Famer

What's the deal with Bourque? I know pretty much nothing about him except he led the AHL in scoring and isn't like here all too much.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:45 PM
News Junkie

he's a career ahl'er, nothing more, nothing less
The Following User Says Thank You to chilly For This Useful Post:
bruiser11 (06-01-2012)
Old 06-01-2012, 04:53 PM
Hall of Famer

Good signing. Paille is a good role player.
The Following User Says Thank You to fcm For This Useful Post:
bruiser11 (06-01-2012)
Old 06-01-2012, 11:56 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller29 View Post
What's the deal with Bourque? I know pretty much nothing about him except he led the AHL in scoring and isn't like here all too much.
The Pens had him on their PP for a few games, lets just say it was worse then the Pens PP normally is.

He really has nothing to offer other than his last name at the NHL level. Really does nothing but absorb a roster spot.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:08 AM
Hall of Famer

Paille has done ok in his role with Boston.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:56 AM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBurger View Post
I like Paille's grittiness, but I was hoping Lane MacDermid would take his spot on the 4th line next season.
Ditto. I like Paille he's a valuable penalty killer...but he needs work on finishing on some of these breakaways he seems to get more than anyone else.

He reminds me of a prototypical Detroit 4th liner had he gone to free agency.

I guess another year of spot duty for MacDermid......

And good for Bourque, I'm sure he'll get a few games up in Boston as an injury replacement.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:50 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaler Fan View Post
He reminds me of a prototypical Detroit 4th liner had he gone to free agency.
Nothing wrong with that. The problem is when your 4th line is filled with soft players. Having one player like Paillé on the 4th line isn't a problem when you have Shawn Thornton and Gregory Campbell on the same line. Plus Paillé isn't that soft, he showed some grit.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:14 PM
Coach

I like these deals. Although he has stone hands, Paille has proven his worth over the past couple years, both on the 4th line and on the PK.

Bourque will be the sniper for Providence, a team that has been atrocious the past few years. He will only help them. Maybe he'll see some spot duty with Boston, but I doubt he'll get anything more than that.

Those saying Paille's re-signing eliminates MacDermid from next year's roster -- I'm not so sure. I have a feeling the B's will let Campbell walk this summer, and Paille is more than capable of playing center. So if Campbell isn't re-signed, that still leaves a 4th ling wing spot open. We'll see.
The Following User Says Thank You to blackngold For This Useful Post:
bruiser11 (06-04-2012)

Tags
boston bruins, chris bourque, dan paille