Old 07-06-2006, 01:44 PM
Owner

Blue Jackets Sign Ty Conklin, Tomas Kloucek

COLUMBUS, OHIO - The Columbus Blue Jackets have signed goaltender Ty Conklin and defenseman Tomas Kloucek to two-way National Hockey League - American Hockey League contracts, club President and General Manager Doug MacLean announced today. As is club policy, terms were not disclosed

The 6-0, 184-pound Conklin joins the Blue Jackets after spending last season with the Edmonton Oilers. In 18 games, he went 8-5-1 with a 2.80 goals against average, .880 save percentage and one shutout. In 60 career NHL games, spanning three seasons with the Oilers, he went 27-19-5 with a 2.49 GAA, .905 SV% and two shutouts.

A native of Anchorage, Alaska, Conklin has also played in 83 career AHL games and posted a 33-27-11 record with a 2.61 GAA and five shutouts. He has represented Team USA at the 2004 and 2005 World Championships and backstopped the club to a bronze medal in 2004. He was also named the tournament's Outstanding Goaltender that year as he posted a 4-0-1 record with a 2.00 GAA, .934 SV% and one shutout.

Conklin signed with Edmonton as a free agent on April 18, 2001 after a stellar career at the University of New Hampshire. He played in 93 games and went 57-23-12 with a 2.17 GAA and seven shutouts. Among the awards he won during his tenure at UNH were: Hockey East First Team All-Star (2000, 2001), Hockey East Player of the Year (2000 - co-winner), NCAA East Second All-American Team (2000), NCAA East First All-American Team (2001) and was the co-winner, along with Brian Gionta, of the Walter Brown Award, which is give to New England's Outstanding American-born college player. Prior to his college career, he played two seasons with the United States Hockey League's Green Bay Gamblers and registered a 3.02 GAA and a pair of shutouts in 60 games.

Kloucek (pronounced KLOH-chehk) spent the 2005-06 season with the AHL's Chicago Wolves, collecting 0-1-1 and 94 penalty minutes in 33 games. He also appeared in one game and picked up two penalty minutes with the Atlanta Thrashers. He has played in 140 career NHL games and recorded 2-8-10, 248 penalty minutes and a cumulative plus/minus rating of -9 with the Thrashers, Nashville Predators and New York Rangers.

The 6-3, 235-pound native of Prague, Czech Republic was the Rangers' sixth pick, 131st overall, in the 1998 Entry Draft. He spent parts of four seasons in the Rangers organization, including 2001-02 when he appeared in a career-high 52 games and tallied 1-3-4 and 137 penalty minutes. He was a member of the Predators organization for a year before joining the Thrashers. In 2003-04, he notched 0-1-1 and 35 penalty minutes in 42 games with Nashville and Atlanta.

Klouchek, a member of the AHL's All-Rookie Team in 2000, has recorded 5-23-28 and 460 penalty minutes in 190 career AHL games. Prior to his pro career, he played one season with Cape Breton of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League after playing three seasons with Slavia Praha's junior team in the Czech Republic.
Advertisement
Old 07-06-2006, 01:47 PM
Hall of Famer

klouchek amassed alot of minutes for a european. does he drop the mitts?

- George Bernard Shaw
Old 07-06-2006, 01:58 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesakiller
He has 21 career fights.
He has also fought some heavies such as: Eric Godard, Jim McKenzie, Nathan Perrott, and Franis Lessard.
Ty Conklin has 2 career fights, not bad for a goaltender!

Great pickup by the Blue Jackets, they are going to be pretty solid in net!

Last edited by HordiBrusk29; 07-06-2006 at 05:33 PM.
Old 07-06-2006, 02:30 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Crunch28
According to dropthegloves.com, he has 21 career fights.
He has also fought some heavies such as: Eric Godard, Jim McKenzie, Nathan Perrott, and Franis Lessard.
Ty Conklin has 2 career fights, not bad for a goaltender!

Great pickup by the Blue Jackets, they are going to be pretty solid in net!

Ty Conklin was the worst goaltender in the NHL last year bar none...

He went from being the American national program's hopes and dreams to BACKING UP IN THE AHL....

Confidence is a bitch for goaltenders...

I have NEVER in my life been so glad to see a player leave a team I cheered for... He was absolutely atrocious last year...

It's been fun boys. Thanks for all the fun debates great discussion. Cheers, Matt
Old 07-06-2006, 02:50 PM
Coach

Hopefully for Columbus Conklin can return to his rookie form to at least be a suitable back up for Leclaire. Unlikely, but it'd be nice for them. I like the way Kloucek plays, but he never really panned out completely at the NHL-level. I believe he's the guy Alexei Yashin broke the nose of.
Old 07-06-2006, 02:54 PM
Coach

It's a good thing they signed him to a two-way contract, because I think he is going to suck again. Let him be the goalie in Syracuse and see how he does there.
Old 07-06-2006, 03:04 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesakiller
Yashin busted him up pretty good.
Old 07-06-2006, 04:09 PM
Hall of Famer

Ty Conklin couldnt stop a puck in the ECHL. The guy is brutal.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:27 PM
Hall of Famer

If Conklin can get his sh*t together the CBJ will have one hell of a goaltender!
Old 07-06-2006, 08:23 PM
Hall of Famer

Now that I think about it, The Blue Jackets might have acquired Ty Conklin for the Syracuse Crunch.. Seeing that Andrew Penner is gone.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:42 PM
Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Crunch28
Now that I think about it, The Blue Jackets might have acquired Ty Conklin for the Syracuse Crunch.. Seeing that Andrew Penner is gone.
Exactly, that would be why they signed him to a two-way contract.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:17 AM
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck2
Ty Conklin couldnt stop a puck in the ECHL. The guy is brutal.
I still have no clue why they ever dressed him in Game 1. I understand playing him when he's backing up Jussi and Jussi's not doing well. But when you have to choose between Jussi and Conklin as your backup in the Stanley Cup Finals... what makes you choose to dress Conklin? Was MacT that certain that Roli would be invincible?
Old 07-07-2006, 10:57 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KindofBlueline
I still have no clue why they ever dressed him in Game 1. I understand playing him when he's backing up Jussi and Jussi's not doing well. But when you have to choose between Jussi and Conklin as your backup in the Stanley Cup Finals... what makes you choose to dress Conklin? Was MacT that certain that Roli would be invincible?

They both sucked all year - Jussi was no better... his performance in the finals came right out of the blue..

Conklin made (I think) $1.9 million last year - that's why he was on the bench... If he would have won that game #1, he would have started the rest of the way... it was his series to steal, and instead he handed it to Carolina...

It's been fun boys. Thanks for all the fun debates great discussion. Cheers, Matt
Old 07-07-2006, 11:06 AM
Hall of Famer

Kloucek is a good checker and should help the D
Old 07-07-2006, 12:12 PM
Super All-Star

These were depth-signings. Nobody expects Conklin to play much, if at all, in Columbus this year unless he has one heck of a camp. The guy clearly needed a fresh start.