Go Back   hockeyfights.com forums > NHL Forums > Player Movement & Rumors

Old 04-12-2013, 01:49 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomnuetten View Post
in the old days they didnīt wear those on the ellbows

but I do think that both of you suffered more than one concussion during a hockey game and played the next shift (would explain a lot )
You got me there, the titanium and kevlar body armor the players wear today may be more lethal than the hard plastic of yesteryear but I also think players are softer, wimpier, whatever you want to call it.

I remember getting my pinkie damn near sliced off in a shut door and my dad gave me a popsicle and a bandaid.

I grew up in Florida so hockey wasn't an option back then but I played plenty of football, soccer, and kill the carrier and had plenty of hard knocks but dished out a lot more than I received. Guys couldn't figure out why I'd go head to head playing without a helmet but I just didn't care, my head was hard as a rock and I never had a concussion.

Terry O'Reilly and Bob Nystrom flew around the ice laying hits and fighting regularly and they didn't seem to miss much playing time.

I don't know, I think players today are much softer than they used to be, maybe it's the equipment that hurts more, that hit on Marchand was not that hard at all, we've seen much, much worse haven't we? Could it be the helmets? Is it possible that the rise in concussions coincided with mandatory helmets? Sure seems like it.

I just can't figure it out, I don't think anyone can.

You can't make this stuff up.
The Following User Says Thank You to mikebflorida For This Useful Post:
sporr (04-12-2013)
Advertisement
Old 04-12-2013, 02:00 PM
Super All-Star

Quote:
I don't know, I think players today are much softer than they used to be, maybe it's the equipment that hurts more, that hit on Marchand was not that hard at all, we've seen much, much worse haven't we? Could it be the helmets? Is it possible that the rise in concussions coincided with mandatory helmets? Sure seems like it.
Mikey, I think you are spot on with some of what you say. But the reality is a much bigger awareness of concussions and society in general is much softer. It used to be up to the player when they came back after a "headache."

And then there's the Marchand factor. Maybe he'll recover and come back as a female MMA fighter.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sporr For This Useful Post:
mikebflorida (04-12-2013), shaud19 (04-12-2013)
Old 04-12-2013, 09:40 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebflorida View Post

I just can't figure it out, I don't think anyone can.
You're correct that the hit didn't look like much.

But, how can heads have gotten softer?

How about if the thing(s) hitting the heads have gotten harder (ie the elbow pad that Volchenkov was wearing???

This is absolutely a perfect example of what one of the leading problems is (not the only problem though) relating to concussions.

The equipment that is supposed to only be for protection can now be used as a weapon.
The Following User Says Thank You to Peacemaker2.0 For This Useful Post:
sporr (04-12-2013)
Old 04-12-2013, 09:53 PM
Hall of Famer

I'll take the word of a guy that was on the ice over a bunch of fight fans from hockeyfights.com anyday.
Of course Behn Wilson lost only a "few" fights. He played in an era where several "great" fighters lost only a "few" fights. Does that make his era so incredibly "great"? Or does it make it incredibly "weak"?
The Following User Says Thank You to srehm1 For This Useful Post:
I like Boobs (04-12-2013)
Old 04-12-2013, 10:03 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacemaker2.0 View Post

How about if the thing(s) hitting the heads have gotten harder (ie the elbow pad that Volchenkov was wearing???

This is absolutely a perfect example of what one of the leading problems is (not the only problem though) relating to concussions.

The equipment that is supposed to only be for protection can now be used as a weapon.
They didn't. The reaction to the guy saying I have a headache/woozy/or whatever after the hit is what's gotten softer.

Science has taught us some new things about concussions. With that knowledge comes an endless supply of bubble wrap.

- Sloth
Old 04-12-2013, 10:26 PM
Super All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacemaker2.0 View Post

You are spot on that technology that is designed to protect has actually harmed the player.

Another reason to get rid of the instigator. Vever in a million does Volchenkov make that hit if he knows that Thornton or Chara are going to rock him next shift. Looch unfortunately is a somewhere else this year!
Old 04-12-2013, 10:27 PM
Super All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by srehm1 View Post
I'll take the word of a guy that was on the ice over a bunch of fight fans from hockeyfights.com anyday.
Fvck you then. You would take the word of that diving little betch Marchand over all of us homies?
Old 04-12-2013, 10:29 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sporr View Post
Fvck you then. You would take the word of that diving little betch Marchand over all of us homies?
It was a joke... it's going to be ok... and i was referring to ference... deep breaths, homey.
Of course Behn Wilson lost only a "few" fights. He played in an era where several "great" fighters lost only a "few" fights. Does that make his era so incredibly "great"? Or does it make it incredibly "weak"?
The Following User Says Thank You to srehm1 For This Useful Post:
sporr (04-12-2013)
Old 04-12-2013, 10:38 PM
Super All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by srehm1 View Post
It was a joke... it's going to be ok... and i was referring to ference... deep breaths, homey.
I'm a lttle slew tonit, bin overswerved!
The Following User Says Thank You to sporr For This Useful Post:
srehm1 (04-12-2013)
Old 04-12-2013, 11:10 PM
Coach

You guys realize that most equipment is made of Kevlar these days right? Kevlar. Designed to stop bullets. I hate Marchand, but you hit him (or anyone) in the head with a Kevlar enforced elbow, they'll probably be out awhile.

"Let's get out of this sh*thole."
Phil Esposito, on Winnipeg, after Team Canada lost game 3 of the 1972 series to the Russians.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:25 PM
Super All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by i like boobs View Post
you guys realize that most equipment is made of kevlar these days right? Kevlar. Designed to stop bullets. I hate marchand, but you hit him (or anyone) in the head with a kevlar enforced elbow, they'll probably be out awhile.
Quote:
they'll probably be out
good

Tags
anton volchenkov, elbowing, new jersey devils, nhl, suspension