#1 (permalink)  
Old 04-30-2013, 07:24 AM
acdcrocksno1's Avatar
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Kent, United Kingdom
Posts: 5,967
Why is the NHL the NHL?

Surely it should be the I(nternational)HL seeing as it is played in more than one nation?

Any particular reason behind this that anyone knows of?
__________________
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
-Winston Churchill

***censored***
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 04-30-2013, 10:19 AM
Phila26Flyers's Avatar
Content Team
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 14,841
Because Canada is a territory of 'Merica.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 04-30-2013, 10:24 AM
cookie monster's Avatar
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 7,080
The nation to which the name of the league originally referred was Canada, although the league has now been binational since 1924 when it expanded into the United States.
__________________
Im the guy doing my job....You must be the other guy. President Barrack Obama to Rep John Boehner
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cookie monster For This Useful Post:
Gunslinger (05-01-2013), Hagstrom (04-30-2013), Stevens Lindros (05-01-2013)
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 04-30-2013, 10:24 AM
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phila26Flyers View Post
Because Canada is a territory of 'Merica.
United States is a territory of North America and so is Mexico. So what's your point?
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 04-30-2013, 10:31 AM
I_am_Belak_2's Avatar
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Brantford, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 10,626
A more legit question would be why is the ECHL the ECHL when there are teams on the west coast, such as Alaska. And yes I know it merged with the WCHL.
__________________
RiP:
Wade Belak
Derek Boogaard
Rick Rypien
Lokomotiv
Add me on Xbox Live: SKoTTee85
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 04-30-2013, 11:03 AM
fansince65's Avatar
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In a Hockey Rink
Posts: 11,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdcrocksno1 View Post
Surely it should be the I(nternational)HL seeing as it is played in more than one nation?

Any particular reason behind this that anyone knows of?
The IHL was a pro league that existed from 1945 until 2001 , some teams like the Detroit Vipers drew crowds of well over 12,000 for home games , the pay was comparable to the AHL of today , they played real good hockey , some ex NHL players finished their careers their , many more started their playing careers their , they had (if I remember) 18-19 teams playing in the late 90's , it was a shame they shut down operation when they did ..
__________________
Hockey Without Fights Is Like A "Honeymoon Without Sex" ...

George Gross : At L.A. Kings/Toronto Game In 1970 ...
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fansince65 For This Useful Post:
Gunslinger (04-30-2013)
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 04-30-2013, 01:31 PM
Stevens Lindros's Avatar
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Northern Hemisphere
Posts: 5,022
I know part of the rationale now is that it has major brand appeal as the 4th of the big sports in North America and the IHL was a minor league as fansince65 said. Most NHL heavies played there on the way to the show.
__________________
"Now we can fight as warriors... hand to hand... it is the basis of all combat. Only a fool trusts his life to a weapon." - Metal Gear Solid, 1998
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 04-30-2013, 11:59 PM
Gunslinger's Avatar
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Huddersfield
Posts: 6,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phila26Flyers View Post
Because Canada is a territory of 'Merica.
This would be the same 'Merica we conquered in 1812. Beat your Yankee asses back across the Border something fierce. Oh right......'Merican schoolbooks forget to mention it. My bad. Your welcome for the history lesson.
__________________
"First they came for the Socialists, and I did not speak out-Because I was not a Socialist. Then they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not speak out-Because I was not a Trade Unionist. Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out-Because I was not a Jew. Then they came for me-and there was no one left to speak for me." Pastor Martin Miemoller
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 05-01-2013, 12:24 AM
Stevens Lindros's Avatar
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Northern Hemisphere
Posts: 5,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
This would be the same 'Merica we conquered in 1812. Beat your Yankee asses back across the Border something fierce. Oh right......'Merican schoolbooks forget to mention it. My bad. Your welcome for the history lesson.
That was almost entirely the British but yes the fledgling United States could not take on the UK or even capture its poorly defended territory to the North of the US at the time. Also, American textbooks leave out a lot of things, the Mei Lei Massacre among many, many others. Don't worry about it. Please don't make this a USA vs. Canada thread...

One thing though, I know an American is going to reply to his post and say they're not a Yankee because they're not from New England and so on...Don't. Nobody in the rest of the English-speaking world differentiates at all, a Yankee (or perhaps Yank if you find yourself down under) is an American. It has a different meaning everywhere else.
__________________
"Now we can fight as warriors... hand to hand... it is the basis of all combat. Only a fool trusts his life to a weapon." - Metal Gear Solid, 1998

Last edited by Stevens Lindros; 05-01-2013 at 12:29 AM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stevens Lindros For This Useful Post:
Gunslinger (05-01-2013)
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 05-01-2013, 12:32 AM
Gunslinger's Avatar
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Huddersfield
Posts: 6,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevens Lindros View Post
That was almost entirely the British but yes the fledgling United States could not take on the UK or even its poorly defended territory to the North of the US at the time. Also, American textbooks leave out a lot of things, the Mei Lei Massacre among many, many others. Don't worry about it. Please don't make this a USA vs. Canada thread...

One thing though, I know an American is going to reply to his post and say they're not a Yankee because they're not from New England and so on...Don't Nobody in the rest of the English-speaking world differentiates at all, a Yankee (or perhaps Yank if you find yourself down under) is an American. It has a different meaning everywhere else.
Don't forget Steven....until Trudeau we were still British subjects. If I was'nt drunk on Grolsch I could give you the name....oh right....I think it was 1982 that Trudeau got consent from the Queen for Canada to have its own Constitution. The British(us) and the Indians chased those Yankee bastards back into their swamps. And I won't turn this into a USA vs. Canada thread. Everybody knows we are better than they are. The rest of the world loves Canadians.....hates those Yankee bastards.
__________________
"First they came for the Socialists, and I did not speak out-Because I was not a Socialist. Then they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not speak out-Because I was not a Trade Unionist. Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out-Because I was not a Jew. Then they came for me-and there was no one left to speak for me." Pastor Martin Miemoller
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 05-01-2013, 12:47 AM
canuck2's Avatar
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: phoenix arizona via Thunder Bay Ont.
Posts: 16,178
Canada is still the dominant hockey nation despite all the gun power in the USA.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 05-01-2013, 01:00 AM
Phila26Flyers's Avatar
Content Team
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 14,841
It was a joke you snowshoed yokels.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Phila26Flyers For This Useful Post:
Plateworker (05-01-2013)
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 05-01-2013, 04:00 AM
acdcrocksno1's Avatar
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Kent, United Kingdom
Posts: 5,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevens Lindros View Post
That was almost entirely the British but yes the fledgling United States could not take on the UK or even capture its poorly defended territory to the North of the US at the time. Also, American textbooks leave out a lot of things, the Mei Lei Massacre among many, many others. Don't worry about it. Please don't make this a USA vs. Canada thread...

One thing though, I know an American is going to reply to his post and say they're not a Yankee because they're not from New England and so on...Don't. Nobody in the rest of the English-speaking world differentiates at all, a Yankee (or perhaps Yank if you find yourself down under) is an American. It has a different meaning everywhere else.
Actually the UK refer to them as yanks not Yankees
__________________
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
-Winston Churchill

***censored***
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 05-01-2013, 06:06 AM
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 284
I've never heard an American be referred to as a Yankee except on these boards by non-Americans. Do you guys think we use that term to describe ourselves? Maybe I'm living in the wrong part of New York but not once in my life have I heard someone day they were a Yankee. American yes. Yankee no.

Last edited by The Rover; 05-01-2013 at 06:08 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 05-01-2013, 06:50 AM
pesadillamal's Avatar
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 7,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie monster View Post
The nation to which the name of the league originally referred was Canada, although the league has now been binational since 1924 when it expanded into the United States.
I thought you had learned it is wrong to copy and paste other peoples work and pass it off as your own by not providing a link. I just found this exact statement in the second paragraph of the link below. Change your username to Wikipedia and cut out the middle man, otherwise known as a plagiarizer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Hockey_League
__________________
Here in this hopeless fXcking hole we call LA
The only way to fix it is to flush it all away.
Any fXcking time. Any fXcking day.
Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona Bay.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pesadillamal For This Useful Post:
acdcrocksno1 (05-01-2013)
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:06 AM.


reveal