Go Back   hockeyfights.com forums > NHL Forums > NHL Chat
Maude

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 09:46 AM
Clever admin title

Quote:
Originally Posted by CairnsisGod View Post
Rumors are starting to circulate that a deal is gonna be announced today and hockey will start January 19th. Link as soon as I find one.
Only thing I'm seeing is that the players are not liking the pension situation and that needs to be resolved before a deal gets done.

However, it's that the only issue we have, sounds like things are close.
MN Wild Team Forum
RIP Bob "Probie" Probert - 7/5/2010
RIP Derek "Boogie Man" Boogaard - 5/13/2011
Advertisement
Old 01-02-2013, 10:58 AM
Hall of Famer

Why does this have to turn into a Canada vs United States debate?

Games Attended 2012-2013: 12
Fights Seen 2012-2013: 12
Old 01-02-2013, 11:08 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciccarelli View Post
Just proves that Americans are not real fans of the sport and teams but go to games and watch their sport only to be entertained. A real fan never quits on his team no matter if it's 10 years or 50 years of loosing.
I don't know... does supporting a perpetual loser make you a "real" fan - or just stupid? I'm from Buffalo. I have a LOT of experience with losing teams. I refuse to monetarily support a team that either is too stupid or cheap to turn a losing product around year after year.... and lets face it - they don't care about the fan one bit- they care about your money, period.

Of course we go to be "entertained". Why else would you go or watch? To prove that you are "real"?

If they somehow get their collective heads out of their asses.... I won't lie - i'll probably watch.... however I will NOT spend one thin American dime on any NHL/Team related merch, tickets, ANYTHING.

A 40-something game season is complete bull**** anyway. Nothing but an asterisk. A glorified pre-season.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:28 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciccarelli View Post
Just proves that Americans are not real fans of the sport and teams but go to games and watch their sport only to be entertained. A real fan never quits on his team no matter if it's 10 years or 50 years of loosing.
I have to disagree, I'll use the Bruins as an example, when Jacobs would constantly put a team on the ice that was good enough to compete but never good enough to win us fans finally got fed up and stopped spending our money, there was even a website created, boycottthebruins.com In the late 90's early 2000's the Fleetcenter was empty. Not because we quit on our team but because ownership sucked.
The Following User Says Thank You to miller29 For This Useful Post:
Broons66 (01-02-2013)
Old 01-02-2013, 11:36 AM
Hall of Famer

And I scored great seats on the cheap for some of those B's games at the vault in the late 90's-early 00's! I remember one game against the Coyote's you'd literally could the on ice chatter. 10K tops! Jacobs got the hint, started putting $$$ into the product.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:45 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broons66 View Post
And I scored great seats on the cheap for some of those B's games at the vault in the late 90's-early 00's! I remember one game against the Coyote's you'd literally could the on ice chatter. 10K tops! Jacobs got the hint, started putting $$$ into the product.
I could be wrong here, but wasn't the Bruins and Joe Thorntons rookie contract one of the issues that led to the first lock out?

Another Bruins question, does the lockout count towards Tim Thomas's "break". Have people in Boston wondered if he's coming back or is he already gone in their minds?

If he did decide to play, it could be a very interesting story this season. In a 48 game season, a guy like Thomas could turn allot of teams into instant contenders.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:54 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie monster View Post
I could be wrong here, but wasn't the Bruins and Joe Thorntons rookie contract one of the issues that led to the first lock out?

Another Bruins question, does the lockout count towards Tim Thomas's "break". Have people in Boston wondered if he's coming back or is he already gone in their minds?

If he did decide to play, it could be a very interesting story this season. In a 48 game season, a guy like Thomas could turn allot of teams into instant contenders.
The Thomas question, I'm not really sure. I think he still owes a year on his contract, still counts as a cap hit. I think they're done with him,I'm not sure. The first lockout, was an abbreviated 48 game season, Thornton wasn't in the league as yet. But as far as this one goes, B's owner Jacobs is no doubt leading the charge on this, owner wise.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:01 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
The Thomas question, I'm not really sure. I think he still owes a year on his contract, still counts as a cap hit. I think they're done with him,I'm not sure. The first lockout, was an abbreviated 48 game season, Thornton wasn't in the league as yet. But as far as this one goes, B's owner Jacobs is no doubt leading the charge on this, owner wise.
I was taking about the 2005 lockout that led to capped rookie contracts. Joe Thorntons rookie contract was seen as a reason for the cap. I shouldn't have said "first" lockout, my bad.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:05 PM
Hall of Famer

It's possible, even though Thornton had been in the league for 7-8 years already. I put nothing past Jacobs, he's the architect behind this current fiasco, no doubt.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:20 PM
Hall of Famer

Just to echo what other before me have said, I'll watch the games on TV and that's it.

No games or merchandise ect. when I rarely go to games I don't buy any over priced crap at the FleeceCenter...It just really sucks that our owner is seemingly at the forefront of every lockout, he's a greedy billionaire prick trying to squeeze every last penny out of the fans.

Look at this fucking phony.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...9jL2BO8#t=219s
Old 01-02-2013, 01:30 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Garden View Post
Just to echo what other before me have said, I'll watch the games on TV and that's it.

No games or merchandise ect. when I rarely go to games I don't buy any over priced crap at the FleeceCenter...It just really sucks that our owner is seemingly at the forefront of every lockout, he's a greedy billionaire prick trying to squeeze every last penny out of the fans.

Look at this fucking phony.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...9jL2BO8#t=219s
Who know's, maybe if Jacobs hadn't been such a miser in the early 90's, and actually spent a little extra cash, we could have gotten a Cup with HOF'ers Neely, Bourque, Oates. I hated the little dig on Neely in the vid about not winning a Cup. Truthfully, I wish Jeremy would turn over the team to son Charlie, who does actually seem to care.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:38 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Who know's, maybe if Jacobs hadn't been such a miser in the early 90's, and actually spent a little extra cash, we could have gotten a Cup with HOF'ers Neely, Bourque, Oates. I hated the little dig on Neely in the vid about not winning a Cup. Truthfully, I wish Jeremy would turn over the team to son Charlie, who does actually seem to care.
It just irks me that Jacobs suddenly got a pass for everything before 2011, I can't just let that go, he's was all about the money then...and still is.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:39 PM
Hall of Famer

He does it because Boston fans are rabid animals whose lives depend on how well their sports teams are doing. I'd do it too, I'd jack ticket prices every year. I'd get max dollars for jerseys, and I'd sell beer for $10 a bottle and watch the money pour in as long as I put a winner on the ice, on the parquet, on the diamond, or on the gridiron because I know you fools will show up.

Americans (and other countries too) idolize sports stars and celebrities and have made them filthy rich because of it. Their talent has always been there, all they have to do is show up and stay healthy or stay out of jail.

Lionel Messi has something like 70 million followers on Facebook or Twitter or whatever the fock it is. 70 MILLION!!! He's a midget who is really good at dribbling, passing, and scoring goals. That's it. He probably couldn't even spell fiscal cliff nor does he care cuz he makes millions and millions of dollars. 33 million Euros to be exact and wouldn't spit on you or me if we were on fire but we idolize the living crap out of him, he's hounded for autographs, has cameramen follow him everywhere he goes, and women send them their panties in the mail.

As in everything, we overdo it. The owners want more, the players want more, the fans want more, the peanut vendors want more, the janitors want more and on and on and on.

And we watch for entertainment. Want to hear something sick? I do the majority of my sports watching at a STRIP CLUB!! Talk about wanting to be entertained!?!?!? I'm a sick fock.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:44 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Garden View Post
It just irks me that Jacobs suddenly got a pass for everything before 2011, I can't just let that go, he's was all about the money then...and still is.
True, but he was at least smart enough to save his franchise by bringing in Neely, Sweeney, and hiring Chiarelli. What irks me most is the "pink hats" that currently fill the Vault who don't remember some of the crap fans had to go through in the 90's-00's. Throughout the 80's and into the 90's, Jacobs was one of the few owners making a sweet profit off his hobby.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:16 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
True, but he was at least smart enough to save his franchise by bringing in Neely, Sweeney, and hiring Chiarelli. What irks me most is the "pink hats" that currently fill the Vault who don't remember some of the crap fans had to go through in the 90's-00's. Throughout the 80's and into the 90's, Jacobs was one of the few owners making a sweet profit off his hobby.
I hear ya, it's just like the Red Sox. I used to be able to go Fenway opening day in the mid 90's. Not a chance nowadays, we've been priced out....that's why the lockout maybe good in a roundabout way, it kills interest in the sport and hopefully cleanses out the fanbase. I have a bad feeling that they will bounce back, and may not skip a beat...but who knows?
Closed Thread