Draft Sam Reinhart 0 0%
Draft Aaron Ekblad 19 86.36%
Draft Other Player 0 0%
Trade Pick 3 13.64%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-15-2014, 08:19 PM
News Junkie

Panthers Win 2014 Draft Lottery

TORONTO -- The Florida Panthers won the 2014 NHL Draft Lottery today and earned the first drafting position for the First Round of the 2014 NHL Draft.

The Panthers have not selected first overall since 1994, when they drafted defenseman Ed Jovanovski. Florida won the Draft Lottery in 2002 and 2003, but both years the franchise traded the top selection prior to the Draft.

Florida, who would have picked second based on inverse order of regular-season finish, had the second-greatest percentage likelihood, 18.8%, that one of the numbered sequences assigned to them would be the winning combination. As per the CBA, this was the second NHL Draft Lottery in which each participating team had the opportunity to win the first overall selection.

The Buffalo Sabres, Edmonton Oilers, Calgary Flames and New York Islanders own the second, third, fourth and fifth drafting positions, respectively, in the First Round.

The order of selection for the first 13 drafting positions in the First Round, only, of the 2014 NHL Draft is as follows:

1. Florida Panthers
2. Buffalo Sabres
3. Edmonton Oilers
4. Calgary Flames
5. New York Islanders
6. Vancouver Canucks
7. Carolina Hurricanes
8. Toronto Maple Leafs
9. Winnipeg Jets
10. Anaheim Ducks (from Ottawa)
11. Nashville Predators
12. Phoenix Coyotes
13. Washington Capitals

The First-Round drafting positions of the 16 Playoff-Qualifying Clubs (picks 14-29) will be determined by the results of the Stanley Cup Playoffs. The New Jersey Devils will be entitled to the 30th selection overall in the 2014 NHL Draft (the last pick in the First Round).

The drawing was conducted at the NHL’s Toronto office and the results were shown live during a 30-minute program produced and televised by TSN in Canada and simulcast on NBCSN in the U.S. The program also was shown live online and across mobile platforms on TSN GO as well as on TSN Radio stations across Canada.

Fourteen balls, numbered 1 to 14, were placed in a lottery machine. The machine expelled four balls, forming a series of numbers. The four-digit series resulting from the expulsion of the balls was matched against a probability chart that divided the possible combinations among the 14 participating clubs. The chart showed that the Panthers had been assigned the numbers (1-6-11-14) that were expelled.

The 2014 NHL Draft Lottery is a weighted system to give the teams that finished with the fewest points during the regular season the greatest chance of having their combination selected. The Sabres finished the regular season with the fewest points in the League (52) and were assigned the greatest number of combinations, representing a 25% likelihood that their combination would emerge. Florida was assigned 18.8% of the combinations, followed by Edmonton (14.2%), Calgary (10.7%) and the New York Islanders (8.1%). The remaining teams had the following chances: 6.2%, 4.7%, 3.6%, 2.7%, 2.1%, 1.5%, 1.1%, 0.8% and 0.5%.

The 2014 NHL Draft will be hosted by the Flyers at Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia from June 27-28.

Last edited by chilly666; 04-15-2014 at 08:40 PM.
Advertisement
Old 04-15-2014, 08:19 PM
News Junkie

Panthers Win 2014 Draft Lottery

who do they pick? Reinhart or Ekblad?

Last edited by chilly666; 04-15-2014 at 08:25 PM.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:27 PM
General Manager

My guess is Ekblad. Although I'm sure they will listen to offers. You have to figure Edmonton will be calling...
Old 04-15-2014, 08:35 PM
Hall of Famer

Things go from bad to worse for Buffalo.
RIP Derek Boogarrd
RIP Rick Rypien
RIP Wade Belak
Old 04-15-2014, 10:54 PM
Super All-Star

I think Florida takes Ekblad. The Sabres would then grab Reinhart. Buffalo needs a 1st line center and offense. Reinhart would be a great pick.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:29 PM
General Manager

Reinhart is a difficult player to evaluate. More specifically he is a hard player to project at the pro level. There aren't many flaws in his game but at the same time for player as good as he is he is often unnoticeable if that makes any sense. He has been lighting it up in the post season though.
The Following User Says Thank You to HordiBrusk29 For This Useful Post:
bigmike53 (04-16-2014)
Old 04-15-2014, 11:30 PM
All-Star

I want Florida to take Ekblad. But I will be very surprise if Tallon trades the first pick. Just like Dudley did back in 2002 and 2003 when Florida had those first picks.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:58 PM
Hall of Famer

The Islanders with their 903rd super high pick and yet they still suck! Wish the Rangers were drafting high like the Islanders the last 25 years!

They can fill the net on this guy tonight!
Phil Esposito
Old 04-16-2014, 07:45 AM
Hall of Famer

Operation Tank (*VaJames' term for Sabres losing*) was not totally successful but hey, second pick is good enough. This draft will hopefully mark the beginning of a turnaround for Buffalo.

https://twitter.com/Sabres_Captain
The Following User Says Thank You to shaud19 For This Useful Post:
bigjack (04-16-2014)
Old 04-16-2014, 07:47 AM
Content Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjack View Post
The Islanders with their 903rd super high pick and yet they still suck! Wish the Rangers were drafting high like the Islanders the last 25 years!
Considering many of the Rangers' draft picks, and who was still on the board in each draft, I think it would be even more embarrassing than it already is.
The Following User Says Thank You to Phila26Flyers For This Useful Post:
chilly666 (04-16-2014)
Old 04-16-2014, 08:23 AM
Hall of Famer

One player to watch for in the draft is Nick Ritchie (Peterborough Petes) , some scouts compare him to Milan Lucic at this stage of his career , he is a big power forward at 6-3 230 pounds and uses his size to his advantage that could move up in the draft to the second or third spot , I think he will go in the top 5 , he is rated in the tenth spot right now , he is the one player that could step right in next season that I see in the top 10 in the draft ..

George Gross : At L.A. Kings/Toronto Game In 1970 ...
Old 04-16-2014, 09:06 AM
All-Star

Laughing @ Anaheim, among the best teams in the league, and drafting a top 10 ...
Old 04-16-2014, 09:11 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince65 View Post
One player to watch for in the draft is Nick Ritchie (Peterborough Petes) , some scouts compare him to Milan Lucic at this stage of his career , he is a big power forward at 6-3 230 pounds and uses his size to his advantage that could move up in the draft to the second or third spot , I think he will go in the top 5 , he is rated in the tenth spot right now , he is the one player that could step right in next season that I see in the top 10 in the draft ..
Most people have Ritchie between 6-8 I don't see him going top 5... and I think the only 100% guarantee to play in the NHL next season from this draft is Ekblad
Old 04-16-2014, 09:16 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phila26Flyers View Post
Considering many of the Rangers' draft picks, and who was still on the board in each draft, I think it would be even more embarrassing than it already is.
Not lately, they have found alot of homegrown talent and Craig Patrick and Emile Francis were great at finding talent as was Fergie despite passing on Bossy which was a huge mistake!
Neil Smith had tons of bombs but did pick Doug Weight, Kovalev, Nemchinov, Zubov, and Marc Savard. Except for Savard, he bombed most of the time from 1992 to 1999 and that is what ruined the franchise!
The Islanders have had a zillion top 10 picks since 1989 and done what with all those high picks?
No comparison!
Right now Sather has 7 drafted Rangers on the roster and 12 other former Rangers playing in the NHL right now.
That isn't bad and he also had horrible luck like Cherepanov dying and Danny Blackburn suffering nerve damage to his shoulder lifting weights and having to retire at age 20!
The Islanders have had more super high premier picks and done what?

They can fill the net on this guy tonight!
Phil Esposito
Old 04-16-2014, 09:47 AM
Hall of Famer

Hope Florida takes Ekblad (who many say is the best guy in the draft), so Buffalo can get Reinhart. After coming off the lowest, post-expansion scoring season, Buffalo needs help up front. Their blueline is young but looks really good.
bigjack (04-16-2014)