Old 04-28-2012, 08:29 AM
Hall of Famer

Next thing someone is gonna come up with is "is the NHL trying to change the game right before our eyes"?

Hogwash.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:34 AM
Hall of Famer

The only thing rigged in the NHL is the draft lottery....DAMN YOU STEVE TAMBELLINI!!

Old 04-29-2012, 09:15 PM
Rookie

Seemed like the Rags got a lot of bad calls last year, with the Knicks out of the playoffs....massive summer construction project at MSG..... who knows what will happen this year. NYR wins cup in 2014, predicted right here!

# of penalites doesn't matter as much as when. Penalties at the end of a period have the PP team working with crappy ice. Watch the games, it does often make a difference. Also PPs in the 2nd period have a big advantage because of the long change for the PK to get back to their bench. Letting centers cheat on the faceoff also makes a big difference (Konopka). None of that is that noticable.

It was hard to watch the Rags/Sens series without thinking something was going on, and it seemed to go both ways (they wanted a long series). Chris Neil was taken off any type of leash. I like that type of game, like everyone else here, but they have to let it be that way for both teams, all year.
The Following User Says Thank You to RFA For This Useful Post:
straka91 (04-29-2012)
Old 04-29-2012, 09:33 PM
Hall of Famer

semes like any time a team gets a lead, they get a **** call against them within 2-5 mins after scoring, so the other team has a chance to even the score.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:38 AM
Pro

Some points to think about:

Referees are paid by the NHL.

The NHL receives more money if games draw higher ratings because then their product is more valuable.

The games with higher ratings tend to have several traits. They are close scoring, they are rivalries, and no team is out of contention until the final seconds.

Referees can control the flow of play, and these traits that make interestin games, including the final plays and possessions. Why average out penalties and have the outcome of the game, and all owed* penalties, work themselves out in those last few minutes, when already,inherently, the pull of the goalie is already the most exciting two minutes in sports. Why do this at the end of the game?

Referees probably enjoy watching closer games.

The last seconds act as a reminder, to Referees that often have to live in the moment of the game, to reflect on the totality of the game take into account occurrences, wrong and right, during the game

So, if I were a referee, to make my life as ****ing fantastic as it could be, I would make sure that I remember to impart fairness on the game, this idea usually occurring to me in the final minutes of the game. I know that this will help my employer put on games that draw high ratings. I do this while still upholding the rules, but I would enjoy watching and refereeing these tight battles, and I discovered a way to make my job interesting, and to make my world filled with joy because everyone would is happy and the money is flowing and popularity is rising.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:40 AM
Pro

if you read my hammered rambling let me know what you think on some of it or all of it. Its littered with crap but I think I presented a few decent ideas to think about
Old 04-30-2012, 02:31 AM
Veteran

No conspiracy, even if Bettman wanted a conspiracy there are way to many pieces involved. I truly think the NHL is just the fastest, hardest league to officiate and they plain old **** up a lot.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Loosey For This Useful Post:
fansince65 (05-09-2012), Rampage76 (04-30-2012)
Old 04-30-2012, 05:36 PM
Rookie

IT is hard to ref and they do make mistakes. None of the "mistakes" led to sweeps though (this year), they led to longer series.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:07 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosey View Post
No conspiracy, even if Bettman wanted a conspiracy there are way to many pieces involved. I truly think the NHL is just the fastest, hardest league to officiate and they plain old **** up a lot.
Sorry but you can "FIX" any game in any team sport in the world , all it takes is money placed in the hands of the right players and officials , Hockey is no exception , it is a team sport .

We all know about Pete Rose betting on Baseball , Mrs.Wayne Gretzky on hockey (just too name a couple) , dont you think they knew in advance who was going to win .
Boxing and Horse racing is the easiest to fix , they have been doing it for years and still do , they are two of the most corrupt sports in the history of the sports world .

I have a real funny feeling way down deep in my stomach after watching the Flyers just "QUIT" in their series against the Devils , granted they had a lot of injuries , but can any true fan say the Flyers never just packed it in and QUIT ??
That team is known for it's never say die play over the years , they did not get the rep they have by folding under pressure .

The Yotes advancing this far just gives me that feeling that the FIX is in !!!
What better way to sell a team than as the Stanley Cup Champions .

Now this is just me thinking out loud , but if all of a sudden I disappear from this fan based forum , check the bottom of lake Erie for an old man in cement overshoes ..

George Gross : At L.A. Kings/Toronto Game In 1970 ...
Old 05-09-2012, 09:26 AM
Hall of Famer

It's not unreasonable to suggest that SOME games are "fixed". People have been doing it for decades, Rothstein fixed the world series in 1919, so many players have been tied to the mob and been caught gambling in every sport.

European football has been ravaged by corruption, there is so much money to be made.

The NFL is littered with conspiracy, they print point spreads right in the newspaper and talk about it on the radio all the time, I'm surprised that Fox NFL Sunday doesn't have a gambling segment, another flapping head in a suit telling you to "take the Packers -7, it's a lock" only to see the Packers win by 6 or lose against an obviously inferior team.

I've seen it too many times in my life to just discount it as "luck".

As for the NHL, the best way to corrupt a game is to get to the goalies. if you can, the goalie easily has the most influence on a game. They are good enough one night to make save after save and get a shutout and the next night they let in a couple of softies and lose 4-2. Hmmmm......always makes me wonder.

The other way is the refs. They are never accountable to the media or fans. Why not? Too much stress? One blown call can change a game, a missed call or a phantom call but it's simply amazing how you can see an official 5 feet away with clear line of sight, and a player is hooked or tripped and nothing is called.

Did you guys see the play last week in baseball where the 1st base ump called a runner out with the 1st baseman's foot 3.1 FEET off the bag and the ump staring right at it? Not 3.1 inches, which might as well be a mile but 3.1 FEET off the bag!! I mean, come on! I can see calling a bang, bang play one way or the other but this was absurd and immediately tells me that this ump is betting UNDER on the game.

That's the first thing I think about. Las Vegas is so involved with sports, it's not unreasonable to suggest that "things go on". There is the lure of easy money and money is truly the root of all evil. It makes people do the damndest things.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:27 AM
Hall of Famer

No i do not think so, but if you ask a whining Flyer fan they would say Yes this morning.
The Following User Says Thank You to smashem For This Useful Post:
fansince65 (05-09-2012)
Old 05-09-2012, 12:19 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashem View Post
No i do not think so, but if you ask a whining Flyer fan they would say Yes this morning.
As you know I am not a Flyers fan , but the way that series went I got that feeling in the pit of my stomach that something just doesn't smell right .
We both know the Flyers never quit no matter how tough the opposition is , this team did , it just smells of roting fish ....

Now if the Devils take out the Rags , that smell just may go away ..

George Gross : At L.A. Kings/Toronto Game In 1970 ...

Last edited by fansince65; 05-09-2012 at 12:22 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:14 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashem View Post
The dissension and divisiveness in the locker room means it was a distinct possibility that some player were simply ready for the season to be over so they could get the hell out of Philadelphia and relax.

Whether or not any of those unhappy players took advantage knowing they and others wouldn't be playing their best cannot be proved at this point but I wouldn't doubt it.

I have some inside information that tells me some of them did benefit from losing to the Devils.

Philadelphia was favored last night 140-100 meaning you have to bet $140 to win $100. That's a 40% premium to take the Flyers and after NJ had won the last 3 games?? Really??? Book makers were trying really hard to get people to bet the Flyers by showing them as a favorite and this was with NJ winning 3 straight, Giroux out, and the Flyers generally playing like sh1t.

It was just hard to believe that the team that played so hard against Pitt sh1t the bedspread so badly against NJ.

It showed on the coaches' face last night, he knew.

Unless you hear or see it directly though, it's just a conspiracy theory.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:15 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince65 View Post
As you know I am not a Flyers fan , but the way that series went I got that feeling in the pit of my stomach that something just doesn't smell right .
We both know the Flyers never quit no matter how tough the opposition is , this team did , it just smells of roting fish ....

Now if the Devils take out the Rags , that smell just may go away ..
Why in the world would the NHL want the Devils in the Eastern conference Finals over the Flyers which are a way bigger market?
Old 05-09-2012, 01:20 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebflorida View Post
The dissension and divisiveness in the locker room means it was a distinct possibility that some player were simply ready for the season to be over so they could get the hell out of Philadelphia and relax.

Whether or not any of those unhappy players took advantage knowing they and others wouldn't be playing their best cannot be proved at this point but I wouldn't doubt it.

I have some inside information that tells me some of them did benefit from losing to the Devils.
Ok, so either spill the beans on who those players were or don't bother bringing it up because anyone can throw a bunch of crap on the wall and see what sticks, especially after a loss.

I'm not saying you are lying, and I don't expect you to give up your 'source', but more detail is needed for me to take what you are saying seriously.

Brashear beat your favorite fighter. Undisputed top 5 all time.