Go Back   hockeyfights.com forums > NHL Forums > NHL Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 06:31 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plateworker View Post
See it is people like you that just don't have a clue. Whether they make a dollar or 1 million it is about principal and what is right. These owners who on average are worth 1.75 billion dollars will continue to exploit fan and player alike for everything they can get and people like you are stupid enough to blame the only reason people pay to come to the arena. Bending over backwards to a billionaire using their talents and our wallets to make more money? Are you kidding me? You sound like the executives that run my company. they just made record profits and locked us out for 29 days because they wanted to take our pensions and double our health care costs. Why because the greedy sob Shareholders wanted even more of the pie. Jmiller is right you probably never worked hard a day in your life and certainly never worked as hard as an athelete who spends his ENTIRE life dedicated to making what a very few in ALL the world make. That is the NHLWhat are there 700+ qualified players in all the world.... We sit back on our couches and say it is just a game and in a way you are right it is....to us....To someone who spends more hours then you can imagine from age 4-5 on to become the very best on the planet deserves a little something don't you think. Crosby makes what 10 Million a year...do you have any idea how much he generates for the NHL? So what your saying is a guy who generates appalling amounts of money for the NHL, basically keeping Pittsburgh afloat as a franchise and is one of the great players in all the world does not deserve that money but the owners do? For what exactly do the owners do to deserve this besides exploit YOU? Now that a cap is in place they will eventually become like the NBA and NFL where the REAL exploitation is. Is it right that the players have to play at least 8 years before freedom and Real payday when the average NHLer last 5-6 years? Is it right that they can only get 5% more a year from the year before so the Billionaire owner can make another dollar. New age fans come to see the stars like Crosby and Ovechkin, without them the NHL does not make 1.87 billion a year. I am all for the person doing the work getting the payday. F*ck the Billionaire owners Like Wang and company. I am sure you love the NFL, you know the league that Totally f*cks its fans and players by eating up Billions from their TV deal, Paying players non guaranteed contracts and suckers like you 30-50K for their PSL seats. All because you think we should all bend over backwards for them and say thank you for F*cking me can I please have another 13 dollar beer. And by the way I am NOT a liberal, I am a union man and I am not bitter or have money envy as you obviously do
There is a massive difference between earning $1 and $1mil., principle or not. You talk about what is right, and I ask you what is right? For the 98% of us to make $40 - 60 000 a year? or for someone who AVGs over $2.4 mil.?

How do the owners use our wallets to make money? You do realize that most of us cannot afford to go to a NHL game, correct? You also realize as salaries have increased so has the cost of a ticket, food, drink, parking etc...

I can't help what your company did to you, that has no relation to the NHL & its salary scale.

You got that right about the 700 NHL players. None of us hardworkers will ever come close to making what they make. I can certainly see how that is a bummer for them.

It is a game. Plain & simple. You can pretend it is not, but it is. Sorry. Don't give me this bull**** about how hard they have had to work since they were 4 or 5. My son plays hockey, started at 4, and is 12 now. Should he be able to go around and tell you all how hard he has had it so far? and he has not even got paid yet? Of course he has the common sense to realize it is a game, like every other person I know.

How can you say the owners exploit the players? Are you suggesting these players get paid minimum wage? Go ask some guy working in a factory for $10 an hour and ask him about exploitation. I don't care how long the AVG player plays. He is very well compensated, and in that 5-6yr time, will more than likely earn more than all of us in our lifetime.

I don't watch the NFL, have no idea what a PSL seat is, but can tell you when a beer costs $13, you can blame the owners all you want, but they have to figure out a way to pay for the players salaries, hydro, plumbing, uniforms, maintenance on the building, food money for the players, hotel costs, airplane costs, land tax, insurance costs etc...

Boy do I feel sorry for guys playing a game. I'm heartbroken.
Advertisement
Old 10-30-2012, 08:22 AM
Clever admin title

Very solid QA with Donald Fehr from the Wild's reporter, Mike Russo at the Star Tribune:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/176360081.html
MN Wild Team Forum
RIP Bob "Probie" Probert - 7/5/2010
RIP Derek "Boogie Man" Boogaard - 5/13/2011
Old 10-31-2012, 02:25 PM
Hall of Famer

The NBA season has officially begun. Meaning, say goodbye to anyone giving a **** about this Lockout going on. Certainly not ESPN.

It is what it is. This sport has gone into a coma. Maybe it'll awake in January. The damage is done though. The season might as well be lost all-together. I feel bad for the LA Kings and their fans. They're the 'Tampa Bay Lightning' for 2012.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:43 PM
Hall of Famer

Old 10-31-2012, 02:58 PM
Clever admin title

Players just got their escrow checks today and yesterday.

They received 7.98%.

Per TSN: amounts to $80,000 for every million dollars a player earned -- before deductions.

We'll see what happens now that the players have received their only payment of the season.
MN Wild Team Forum
RIP Bob "Probie" Probert - 7/5/2010
RIP Derek "Boogie Man" Boogaard - 5/13/2011
Old 10-31-2012, 04:06 PM
Hall of Famer

seriously, ppl here have to stop picking sides, when intelligent human beings can't come to a mutual agreement in 1 hour then both sides are wrong.

I've been on both sides of the negotiating table, after a long standoff both sides claim victory when in fact both sides lost their asses.

I'll stand pat on what I stated earlier, cancel this season and next so both sides can be bitch slapped back to reality.

***K the NHL.

Last edited by hockey doc; 10-31-2012 at 04:09 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hockey doc For This Useful Post:
BobNystromOwnsU (11-01-2012), straka91 (11-05-2012), totmacher (11-05-2012)
Old 10-31-2012, 04:14 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey doc View Post
seriously, ppl here have to stop picking sides, when intelligent human beings can't come to a mutual agreement in 1 hour then both sides are wrong.

I've been on both sides of the negotiating table, after a long standoff both sides claim victory when in fact both sides lost their asses.

I'll stand pat on what I stated earlier, cancel this season and next so both sides can be bitch slapped back to reality.

***K the NHL.
Shut your face.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:24 PM
Super All-Star

Ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefJunior View Post
There is a massive difference between earning $1 and $1mil., principle or not. You talk about what is right, and I ask you what is right? For the 98% of us to make $40 - 60 000 a year? or for someone who AVGs over $2.4 mil.?

How do the owners use our wallets to make money? You do realize that most of us cannot afford to go to a NHL game, correct? You also realize as salaries have increased so has the cost of a ticket, food, drink, parking etc...

I can't help what your company did to you, that has no relation to the NHL & its salary scale.

You got that right about the 700 NHL players. None of us hardworkers will ever come close to making what they make. I can certainly see how that is a bummer for them.

It is a game. Plain & simple. You can pretend it is not, but it is. Sorry. Don't give me this bull**** about how hard they have had to work since they were 4 or 5. My son plays hockey, started at 4, and is 12 now. Should he be able to go around and tell you all how hard he has had it so far? and he has not even got paid yet? Of course he has the common sense to realize it is a game, like every other person I know.

How can you say the owners exploit the players? Are you suggesting these players get paid minimum wage? Go ask some guy working in a factory for $10 an hour and ask him about exploitation. I don't care how long the AVG player plays. He is very well compensated, and in that 5-6yr time, will more than likely earn more than all of us in our lifetime.

I don't watch the NFL, have no idea what a PSL seat is, but can tell you when a beer costs $13, you can blame the owners all you want, but they have to figure out a way to pay for the players salaries, hydro, plumbing, uniforms, maintenance on the building, food money for the players, hotel costs, airplane costs, land tax, insurance costs etc...

Boy do I feel sorry for guys playing a game. I'm heartbroken.
I knew just by reading your posts that you would completely and utterly miss the point by a mile and a half. You are obviously bitter about what you earn or what others earn over you. Obviously you will be voting for Obama as class warfare seems to be your only alibi.

Like I said missed by a mile. My company makes money hand over fist, never had a loss in its history and it was its most profitable year ever. I work a dangerous job that i have trained years for and I EXPECT to get paid what I deserve since I can not be easily replaced. I want and deserve my 50$ an hour not the 25-30 they want to pay me so they can maximize their bottom line. What the charge the public is none of my concern, it is theirs. They make plenty enough money to compensate without ripping the public off.

By your logic if I was one of only say 100 programmers that can perform whatever function I do as that programmer I expect to be compensated WELL. I know you will belittle the comparison but it is the POINT I am trying to make. Hockey players in the NHL are UNIQUE so much so that out of 6 billion people on the planet only 700+ are good enough to do what they do. And by your logic since it is only a game they should just except whatever the owners give them. Don't worry you didn't build hockey us owners did...lol...yeah ok. guess what I cant afford to go to a game either but apparently there are plenty who can.

You can't seem to get over the point that they make a lot of money playing a game that ENTERTAINS millions of people every year, that a whole country lives by. You keep bringing up money time and again without understanding that no matter how you cut it they do something you and I can not. I can never understand a person whose logic dictates that they would rather see money go to a billionaire then to the person that makes that billionaire his money...and lots of it
The Following User Says Thank You to Plateworker For This Useful Post:
leon phelps (11-04-2012)
Old 11-04-2012, 05:46 PM
Super All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plateworker View Post
Obviously you will be voting for Obama as class warfare seems to be your only alibi....

.... I can never understand a person whose logic dictates that they would rather see money go to a billionaire then to the person that makes that billionaire his money...and lots of it

Looks to me like you aren't above a little class warfare yourself there plateworker.

IMO any contract in place now should be honored. From this point forward if they want to "roll back" salaries, do it with negotiation at contract time. If the player doesn't feel they are paying him what he's worth he can feel free to try and find a job that pays an avg of 2.4 mill a year.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:59 PM
Veteran

Players need to stick together and fight the man.

Owners dont remember that most of the funds for their Arenas are public money. The public should get other teams to fill them.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:45 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon phelps View Post
Players need to stick together and fight the man.

Owners dont remember that most of the funds for their Arenas are public money. The public should get other teams to fill them.
They players ARE the man too.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:09 AM
Hall of Famer

I just noticed that some of the posters that voice their displeasure about this lockout still have their favorite teams logo as their Avatar , or their favorite player or enforcer .
One would think if they are that Pissed off they would drop that logo and put something else in it's place , that would send a personal message dont you think ??

Just an observation , dont get bent all out of shape ..

George Gross : At L.A. Kings/Toronto Game In 1970 ...
Old 11-05-2012, 11:56 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince65 View Post
I just noticed that some of the posters that voice their displeasure about this lockout still have their favorite teams logo as their Avatar , or their favorite player or enforcer .
One would think if they are that Pissed off they would drop that logo and put something else in it's place , that would send a personal message dont you think ??

Changed mine to the best team in the QMJHL and maybe the whole CHL, thou the Kamloops Blazers might have something to say about that. My hometown junior hockey team the Halifax Mooseheads.
RIP Derek Boogarrd
RIP Rick Rypien
RIP Wade Belak
The Following User Says Thank You to Killah_punk For This Useful Post:
fansince65 (11-05-2012)
Old 11-05-2012, 12:34 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince65 View Post

You might be pissed off about the game, about the league or about the GM, players and owner, but you are hardly pissed off about your team. The love for a team doesn't change much and that's why most fans are suckers that will return to watch the NHL whenever they start playing again not because they like the NHL but because they can't change their love for the team they root for. At least that's the european definition of being a fan of a certain team.
This forum is full of people that suffer from post-pubertal showing-off affectations...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ciccarelli For This Useful Post:
fansince65 (11-05-2012), totmacher (11-05-2012)
Old 11-05-2012, 02:55 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killah_punk View Post
Changed mine to the best team in the QMJHL and maybe the whole CHL, thou the Kamloops Blazers might have something to say about that. My hometown junior hockey team the Halifax Mooseheads.
The Moose have one of the best logos in all of hockey , along with the Screaming Eagles and the london Knights..

George Gross : At L.A. Kings/Toronto Game In 1970 ...
Closed Thread

Tags
cancel, games, nhl, regular season