#196 (permalink)  
Old 01-10-2012, 04:42 PM
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 9,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcm View Post
Paul Holmgren is Laviolette's boss. I think you can't give lessons if you don't know this basic and simple principle.
and ed snider is holmgrens boss, does that mean we should blame snider for who plays? its the coaches job to decide who plays and who sits, not the GM. thats pretty basic and simple, i thought you'd understand it.
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #197 (permalink)  
Old 01-10-2012, 07:07 PM
fcm fcm is offline
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Montréal
Posts: 5,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan 27 View Post
and ed snider is holmgrens boss, does that mean we should blame snider for who plays? its the coaches job to decide who plays and who sits, not the GM. thats pretty basic and simple, i thought you'd understand it.
If Snider wants something, both Holmgren and Lavi want it.
Reply With Quote
  #198 (permalink)  
Old 01-11-2012, 10:04 AM
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 9,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcm View Post
If Snider wants something, both Holmgren and Lavi want it.
you are fighting a losing battle. just walk away
Reply With Quote
  #199 (permalink)  
Old 01-11-2012, 01:46 PM
hockey doc's Avatar
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bum F*** Egypt
Posts: 4,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcm View Post
If Snider wants something, both Holmgren and Lavi want it.
I doubt you were ever in charge of anything, like being a coach of a sports team or a foreman at work, etc. If you were then you would understand the relationship between that postion and the guy (your boss) above you. If my boss kept looking over my shoulder and telling me what to do day in and day out I would have to ask him "why did you hire me if you don't think I am capable of doing the job?"
Reply With Quote
  #200 (permalink)  
Old 01-11-2012, 06:11 PM
The Dougler's Avatar
Super All-Star
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan 27 View Post
you are fighting a losing battle. just walk away
The kid did the exact same thing last week with regard to Burke and Wilson. Coaches coach the team and managers give them the players. It's so simple and yet he makes it seem as though the GM has a earpiece on the coach telling him what to do.

A cup willing coach like Lavi doesn't take orders. He doesn't have to.
__________________
"An arm like a damn rocket, a c*ck like a burmese python and the mind of a f*cking scientist.."
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Dougler For This Useful Post:
Philly Fan 27 (01-11-2012)
  #201 (permalink)  
Old 01-11-2012, 07:36 PM
fcm fcm is offline
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Montréal
Posts: 5,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dougler View Post
It's so simple and yet he makes it seem as though the GM has a earpiece on the coach telling him what to do.
Managing a team is way more complicated and complex than you think.

It is simplist to think that the Gm gives the coach players, and the coach decides who plays.

The best example of that is the Islanders' owner wanting Rick Dipietro as their starting goalie. I'm sure that the GM and the coach didn't want that. But they had to do so, because the big boss asked it.
Reply With Quote
  #202 (permalink)  
Old 01-11-2012, 09:11 PM
The Dougler's Avatar
Super All-Star
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcm View Post
Managing a team is way more complicated and complex than you think.

It is simplist to think that the Gm gives the coach players, and the coach decides who plays.

The best example of that is the Islanders' owner wanting Rick Dipietro as their starting goalie. I'm sure that the GM and the coach didn't want that. But they had to do so, because the big boss asked it.
Lay off the poor attempts at condescension.

And that one example has worked out well hasn't it? It's not universal but the vast majority of teams and I would say all well run teams do not have meddling management or ownership. Look at Detroit, Philly, Boston etc.

And should the head coach need help, he leans on his assistants. I guarantee you he doesn't ask his boss. It doesn't look too good as I'm sure you can imagine
__________________
"An arm like a damn rocket, a c*ck like a burmese python and the mind of a f*cking scientist.."
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Dougler For This Useful Post:
Philly Fan 27 (01-12-2012)
  #205 (permalink)  
Old 04-30-2012, 10:23 AM
mikebflorida's Avatar
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Clearwater, Fl
Posts: 6,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by westgennylax3 View Post
Wings need Konopka and JF Jacques...guys can play pretty well and aren't afraid to do something.
There is like 25 teams that need guys like that!
__________________
Elusive Member of The 6,000 Post Club!
Reply With Quote
  #206 (permalink)  
Old 04-30-2012, 11:50 AM
fcm fcm is offline
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Montréal
Posts: 5,055
I'd take Carkner, Parros, Jacques, Konopka, Tootoo, Moen, Asham, Gaustad, Vandermeer and Prust on my team any day of the week.
Reply With Quote
  #207 (permalink)  
Old 04-30-2012, 01:30 PM
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dougler View Post
The kid did the exact same thing last week with regard to Burke and Wilson. Coaches coach the team and managers give them the players. It's so simple and yet he makes it seem as though the GM has a earpiece on the coach telling him what to do.

A cup willing coach like Lavi doesn't take orders. He doesn't have to.

In most every case you're right. However make no mistake, if a GM wants a player played, the coach will play him. He may only give said player the odd shift (unless otherwise stated by the GM). Don't think there have not been and there will not always be internal battles between a coach & gm, or coach & assistants. It happens.

Luckily if you're winning, things like this may not come up.
Reply With Quote
  #208 (permalink)  
Old 04-30-2012, 01:52 PM
FrontLineAdmirals's Avatar
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: MN via WI
Posts: 3,800
Regardless of what happens with 22 & BMG, I would love Konopka & Souray to sign with the Preds.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #209 (permalink)  
Old 04-30-2012, 02:50 PM
Captain Crunch28's Avatar
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 10,240
What's the chances of Westgarth staying in LA?
__________________
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Bob Probert
Reply With Quote
  #210 (permalink)  
Old 04-30-2012, 03:32 PM
NameyMD's Avatar
All-Star
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: hellsinki
Posts: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcm View Post
I'd take Carkner, Parros, Jacques, Konopka, Tootoo, Moen, Asham, Gaustad, Vandermeer and Prust on my team any day of the week.
you mean in your cockblowing team? and even ON A SUNDAY??
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ahl, free agency, nhl

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:21 PM.