Old 05-01-2006, 11:19 PM
Hall of Famer

The End of the Euro Lineup!

The Rangers proved it early, now the Wings cemented the fact that YOU CANT WIN IN THE NHL WITH A BUNCH OF EURO'S!

I couldnt be happier to see these enforcerless, soft teams bow out early.

Edmonton is a hockey team!

These ***** teams loaded with Euro's who only want the American greenback to take home, can rot in hell and sweet oblivion!

It still takes guts, balls and aggression to win in this 'new NHL', THERE IS STILL HOPE PEOPLE!

What do you guys think?

"Sut ma Dit" - Mike Tyson

Godspeed Mr. Iommi, May you slay Cancer and send it to Hell!!
Advertisement
Old 05-01-2006, 11:22 PM
Hall of Famer

Samsanov to Hemsky! Scores ! **** those Euros eh
Old 05-01-2006, 11:23 PM
Veteran

I couldn't agree more!

Awesome night!!
Old 05-01-2006, 11:38 PM
General Manager

Dont forget Tampa Bay. Even though they were an 8 seed, they were still the defending champs and another poster-team of the new NHL in terms of ignoring toughness (Dingman's presence duly noted). They also get wiped off the boards. Three down, Carolina to go.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:42 PM
Hall of Famer

IMO tonight should be regarded as a victory for hockey fans like us. For, because of the early exits of the extremely soft Detroit Red Wings (the first seed), New York Rangers and Tampa Bay Lightning, NHL General Managers will have no other choice but to adapt and model their hockey clubs after those who were able to obtain success in the regular season and most importantly, the postseason. This'll result in team drafting differently, going for tougher, more character possessing players, and clubs will understand what works and what doesn't. (I.E. The New York Rangers and the Detroit Redwings) Overall, next year should be very different.

For once in this season, fans like us have something to be positive about
Old 05-02-2006, 12:45 AM
Hall of Famer

I don't know if this can all directly be tied to an abundance of European players, but more to a lack of toughness and grit. Using Ottawa as an example, they have enough European players, but look at who the Euros on Ottawa are: Chara, Volchenkov, Varada, Alfredsson, Meszaros, Schubert. All of whom are European, but all of whom will go willingly into scrums, throw hits and battle for the puck.

Anyhow, I still agree with the general sentiment of this thread. So far it has been proven that gritty, tough players are critical to playoff success. This is great. I was dreading something along the lines of a Carolina vs Detroit final, and now at least one of those teams is out. A few other similar teams are gone too. It's beautiful.

If the GM's of these teams aren't stupid maybe we'll be so lucky as to see the likes of Bootland in Detroit, Fritz in Tampa, or Worrell in New York in 06-07. I can't wait. Buuut, at the same rate, I'm not holding my breath.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:54 AM
Rookie

All I know is that I'm thrilled those losers are knocked out in the first round YET AGAIN after finishing at the top of the regular season standings. Hockeytown my ass
Old 05-02-2006, 04:00 AM
All-Star

Guys, as a Wings fan obviously i am dissapointed to be out in the first round, but as a fan of hard hitting tough hockey i couldn't be happier. Before the playoffs started i was in a win win situation. On one hand my team was in the playoffs and i could support them but on the other hand if they went out early i could look forward to the end of the euro team from hell. It has been so painful to watch this team of euros play hockey the way they have over the last few years and i am expecting a new and improved tougher Wings team next year.
Old 05-02-2006, 04:05 AM
General Manager

While I am also thrilled the Wings and Lightning have been knocked out early, at the same time I wouldn't jump the gun just yet. Unfortunately none of these teams are likely to realize that part of the reason they lost so early into the playoffs was due to a lack of grit.

I really do hope teams like the Wings will go out and get a few more gritty guys instead of a bunch of 3rd and 4th line euros but I wouldn't count on it happening. They've had so many opportunities to do so and always seem to look the other way. Let's just keep our fingers crossed this time will be different.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:56 AM
Hall of Famer

Dallas is a gritty/tough team, at least they played a gritty style of hockey during the regular season, but they lost to the somehow soft Avalanche.
This forum is full of people that suffer from post-pubertal showing-off affectations...
Old 05-02-2006, 08:59 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciccarelli
Dallas is a gritty/tough team, at least they played a gritty style of hockey during the regular season, but they lost to the somehow soft Avalanche.
True, but that's one series. Of the five that have been decided so far that is the only series in which the grittier, tougher team lost the series. Edmonton is tougher than Detroit and they won, San Jose (given the players Nashville decided to scratch in the playoffs) was the tougher team and they won, Ottawa was tougher than Tampa and they won, and finally Jersey was tougher than New York and they won.

In that case, 80% of the first round winners this season are the tougher, grittier teams. That's not a coincidence. Of the few undecided series, most of the teams are tough and/or gritty enough (Buffalo, Philly, Anaheim and Calgary all are) so it will be very hard to disprove this trend after the first round. Hopefully a few GM's open their eyes and see the light.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:16 AM
Hall of Famer

i really hope this starts a trend for next season. you have not destroyed our league yet buttman. if only dallas could have made it out of the first round. the team that led the regular season in FM would have been great going deep. thank god that detroit, tampa and the rags are out. the rangers have a few gritty guys, but if you don't play them enough or scratch them (nashville) then this is what you get.

- George Bernard Shaw
Old 05-02-2006, 09:53 AM
Veteran

News Flash!! It was NOT the "euros" that cost the wings boys, sorry. It was their reliance on over the hill canadian boys like Shanahan(shakinhands) and Chelios along with a few younger canadians who just chose not to show up, Legace, Williams, Cleary.

Zetterberg is a euro, and played GREAT, Franzen is a euro and was an absolute MONSTER. Look out for him in the coming years, Datsyuk was hurt and rusty but started to show a flash of his brilliance in the last 2 games, he'll be back to hoist cups in the future. Nope, sorry but the "softness" you like to point fingers at was not present, look at the hit counts for the series. Age and complacency WERE present and made all the difference.

I'll take 10 Zetterbergs, 5 Franzens, 3 Holmsroms and a couple Lidsroms into the playoffs ANYDAY. Its Chelios and Shanahan I'd lose ASAP.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:55 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HordiBrusk29
While I am also thrilled the Wings and Lightning have been knocked out early, at the same time I wouldn't jump the gun just yet. Unfortunately none of these teams are likely to realize that part of the reason they lost so early into the playoffs was due to a lack of grit.

I really do hope teams like the Wings will go out and get a few more gritty guys instead of a bunch of 3rd and 4th line euros but I wouldn't count on it happening. They've had so many opportunities to do so and always seem to look the other way. Let's just keep our fingers crossed this time will be different.
I see Chara in red next year.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:59 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer26
News Flash!! It was NOT the "euros" that cost the wings boys, sorry. It was their reliance on over the hill canadian boys like Shanahan(shakinhands) and Chelios along with a few younger canadians who just chose not to show up, Legace, Williams, Cleary.

Zetterberg is a euro, and played GREAT, Franzen is a euro and was an absolute MONSTER. Look out for him in the coming years, Datsyuk was hurt and rusty but started to show a flash of his brilliance in the last 2 games, he'll be back to hoist cups in the future. Nope, sorry but the "softness" you like to point fingers at was not present, look at the hit counts for the series. Age and complacency WERE present and made all the difference.

I'll take 10 Zetterbergs, 5 Franzens, 3 Holmsroms and a couple Lidsroms into the playoffs ANYDAY. Its Chelios and Shanahan I'd lose ASAP.

i do agree that chelios is an old man and i personally hate his guts. But if your trying to make a point that a team of all soft euros can still win im going to have to disagree. Need look no farther then the rangers.

I love how the rangers went from inches from winning the atlantic division...to finishing 3rd in the division, ending up seeded 6th and then getting swept by the devils...Like, i REALLY REALLY love it. Remember the rangers were picked by many to finish 30th? They seriously might has well have for the way the ended their season.

The best series of the playoffs has been Calgary vs the Ducks and they have FIGHTS which is unheard of in the playoffs especially in a tied series in the first round. Thats the most physical series and very entertaining.

Last edited by mckendo83; 05-02-2006 at 10:03 AM.