Go Back   hockeyfights.com forums > NHL Forums > NHL Chat
Arnold

View Poll Results: WCQF Series Winner
Phoenix Wins Series 44 41.90%
Chicago Wins Series 61 58.10%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-24-2012, 09:41 PM
News Junkie

i am...alot of the shots last night were at his pads or somewhere where the save was "easy" compared to someone trying to pick a corner or go right above the pads where some goalies have issues stopping the puck.

when needed, yes smith made the remarkable saves, but last night alot more shots were "at him" compared to smith using his reflexes to make the great save.
Advertisement
Old 04-24-2012, 09:49 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilly666 View Post
i am...alot of the shots last night were at his pads or somewhere where the save was "easy" compared to someone trying to pick a corner or go right above the pads where some goalies have issues stopping the puck.

when needed, yes smith made the remarkable saves, but last night alot more shots were "at him" compared to smith using his reflexes to make the great save.
lol.

Good goalies position themselves in their crease where the pucks hit them. The more inept the goalie is positionally, the more you will see flashy, reactionary saves, since they are often out of position for the proper save.

Goalie 101.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:21 PM
Super All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilly666 View Post

I think a lot of the shots were "easy" saves, but you have to credit the Coyotes skaters for that just as much as saying the Hawks were shooting right at Smith. They were not giving the middle of the ice to any Hawks players and were making them shoot from awful angles or from decent angles, but letting Smith see the shot all the way and clearing out the rebounds if need be. You have to tip your hat to the Coyotes coaching staff for knowing what the Hawks like to do and refusing to let them ever get started. Sure 39 shots are nice, but how many of them were quality scoring chances?? Maybe 4 or 5?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Woodsman View Post
lol.

Good goalies position themselves in their crease where the pucks hit them. The more inept the goalie is positionally, the more you will see flashy, reactionary saves, since they are often out of position for the proper save.

Goalie 101.
Very true. A great example was that 2-on-1 very early in the 1st with Kane and Shaw, I believe. Everyone in the rink knew Kane was going to pass, but on the replay at the UC, Kane never even looks at the goal and was staring down Shaw the entire time. Smith knew Kane was going to pass even before Kane got past the circles, cheated, and made a play that should have been difficult rather easy when Shaw put it right into Smith's belly.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:35 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge8954 View Post
Crawford faced 159 and Smith faced 241
****, if the Yotes weren't blocking 30 a game, that number could have been a hell of a lot more lopsided.

what did they say last night? that in game 5 the Hawks had 84 shot attempts (if you include the blocks and net misses in the shot number) EIGHT FOUR! that's ****ing nuts.

Reach beyond the sun.
The Following User Says Thank You to thruby For This Useful Post:
The Woodsman (04-24-2012)
Old 04-24-2012, 11:18 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsJunkie View Post
I Sure 39 shots are nice, but how many of them were quality scoring chances?? Maybe 4 or 5?
Probably about 10-12 high quality scoring chances.

shots right at the edge of the crease and within 10 feet.

the save on Morrison was unreal.

but the key point is rebounds and battles in front of the net. Yotes D won most of those.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:01 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck2 View Post
Jamieson and the NHL are very close to an agreement to keep the team in "glendale".
so fuk you Quebec!!!
if the arena was in phx or scottsdale they draw well all season.
John 3:16

"its him!!"
Old 04-25-2012, 09:51 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck2 View Post
Probably about 10-12 high quality scoring chances.

shots right at the edge of the crease and within 10 feet.

the save on Morrison was unreal.

but the key point is rebounds and battles in front of the net. Yotes D won most of those.
i give him credit for stretching out to make that save but Morrison robbed himself on that one. how he doesn't life that puck is beyond me.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:37 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsFanatic View Post
0-5 in the polls so far, sooooo if my streak continues the Panthers, Rangers, and Caps will all be advancing and I'll be a perfect 0-8.
0-6 the streak continues. Don't be affraid to let that vbookie wad ride on the Panthers and Rangers tomorrow.