View Poll Results: Who should win the Lady Byng Trophy
Brian Campbell 4 20.00%
Jordan Eberle 7 35.00%
Matt Moulson 9 45.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-23-2012, 11:19 AM
News Junkie

Campbell, Eberle & Moulson Named Lady Byng Finalists

NEW YORK - Defenseman Brian Campbell of the Florida Panthers, right wing Jordan Eberle of the Edmonton Oilers and left wing Matt Moulson of the New York Islanders are the three finalists for the
2011-12 Lady Byng Memorial Trophy, awarded “to the player adjudged to have exhibited the best type of sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct combined with a high standard of playing ability,” the National Hockey League announced today.

Members of the Professional Hockey Writers’ Association submitted ballots for the Lady Byng Trophy at the conclusion of the regular season, with the top three vote-getters designated as finalists. The winner will be announced Wednesday, June 20, during the 2012 NHL Awards from Encore Theater at Wynn Las Vegas. The 2012 NHL Awards will be broadcast by NBC Sports Network in the United States and CBC in Canada.

Following are the finalists for the Lady Byng Trophy, in alphabetical order:

Brian Campbell, Florida Panthers

Campbell anchored the defense corps on a Florida club that posted a 22-point increase over 2010-11 and captured its first division title in franchise history. He took on a heavy workload by appearing in all 82 games and leading the NHL in total ice time (2,205:31), yet was whistled for just six penalty minutes -- the fewest among the 65 NHL defensemen who appeared in at least 77 games. He ranked second among League defensemen in scoring with 53 points (four goals, 49 assists), tying the single-season franchise record for assists by a defenseman, and ranked second in the NHL in power-play assists (30).

Jordan Eberle, Edmonton Oilers

In his second NHL season, Eberle led the Oilers in goals (34), assists (42) and points (76), posting a 33-point increase over his rookie campaign. He received only five minor penalties for 10 total minutes in
1,372:35 of playing time. Turning 22 on May 15, Eberle is the youngest Lady Byng Trophy finalist since Anaheim Ducks star Paul Kariya captured the award at 21 years, eight months in 1996 after his sophomore NHL season.
Eberle is vying to become the third player in Oilers history to win the trophy, joining Wayne Gretzky (1980) and Jari Kurri (1985).

Matt Moulson, New York Islanders

Moulson posted career highs in goals (36), assists (33) and points (69), becoming the first Islanders player to post three consecutive 30-goal seasons since Zigmund Palffy from 1995-96 through 1997-98. He also set a career high, led his club and tied for third in the NHL in power-play goals (14). The first-time NHL Trophy finalist played all 82 games for the third time in as many seasons with the Islanders and was assessed just six penalty minutes, tied with fellow Lady Byng finalist Brian Campbell for the fewest among the League's top 75 scorers.

History

Lady Byng, wife of Canada’s Governor-General at the time, presented the Lady Byng Trophy during the 1924-25 season. After Frank Boucher of the New York Rangers won the award seven times in eight seasons, he was given the trophy to keep and Lady Byng donated another trophy in 1936. After Lady Byng’s death in 1949, the National Hockey League presented a new trophy, changing the name to the Lady Byng Memorial Trophy.

Last edited by VodkaFish; 04-23-2012 at 09:39 PM. Reason: release
Advertisement
Old 04-23-2012, 01:38 PM
Hall of Famer

Oh how I love the big vagina award. Pretty much the most subjective award in all of sports.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:44 PM
Super All-Star

Raffi Torres gets my vote.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:06 PM
Hall of Famer

Matty MO!!

Amerks - 6 Calder Cups

Ice Flyers -2 President's Cups
Old 04-23-2012, 04:07 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepolishkid88 View Post
Oh how I love the big vagina award. Pretty much the most subjective award in all of sports.
I don't think you're a vagina if you play a smart clean game. You're a vagina when you run around being a bitch and being cheap then backing out of fights.

Amerks - 6 Calder Cups

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BobNystromOwnsU For This Useful Post:
ghjkfdhgfd (04-23-2012), NameyMD (04-24-2012), NickDoh (04-23-2012)
Old 04-24-2012, 12:26 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNystromOwnsU View Post
I don't think you're a vagina if you play a smart clean game. You're a vagina when you run around being a bitch and being cheap then backing out of fights.
I don't know man. It just seems like it would be a target on your back. Oh that guy won't hit me because he won the Lady Byng.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:52 AM
Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepolishkid88 View Post
I don't know man. It just seems like it would be a target on your back. Oh that guy won't hit me because he won the Lady Byng.
In Moulson's defense, I think 4 of his PIMS were taken at a game where he dropped the mitts and went after someone for boarding Tavares (against Calgary in Dec. I'm pretty sure).

He's not the super finesse-type player that normally gets the award.
"It's huge when guys are sticking up for each other," Rechlicz said. "It's more of a team bonding thing. I think it's great, and that's the style we've got to play. Guys come together, and it's like your family out there ... That's what it's all about. If you mess with one of our guys, you're going to mess with five of them. That's just the way it's going to go."
Old 04-24-2012, 03:43 AM
General Manager

Brendan Shanahan.
The Following User Says Thank You to HordiBrusk29 For This Useful Post:
bupz91 (04-25-2012)
Old 04-24-2012, 09:18 AM
Hall of Famer

I was just happy to finally see St. Louis NOT a finalist
Old 04-24-2012, 09:38 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyislesfan45 View Post
In Moulson's defense, I think 4 of his PIMS were taken at a game where he dropped the mitts and went after someone for boarding Tavares (against Calgary in Dec. I'm pretty sure).

He's not the super finesse-type player that normally gets the award.
He also spends most of his time fighting in front of the net and being a garbage disposal. The fact he can do that, and still play a clean game, shows what a smart player he is.

Amerks - 6 Calder Cups

Old 04-24-2012, 09:39 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge8954 View Post
I was just happy to finally see St. Louis NOT a finalist
Why? He's the cleanest player in the game with more points than the others, he should win it again this year but it's obvious they want to "spread the wealth" a little and make sure others get a chance. Not that the others aren't deserving but St Louis is deserving every single year. Why not this year?
Old 04-24-2012, 11:08 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebflorida View Post
Why? He's the cleanest player in the game with more points than the others, he should win it again this year but it's obvious they want to "spread the wealth" a little and make sure others get a chance. Not that the others aren't deserving but St Louis is deserving every single year. Why not this year?
i like St. Louis but i'd rather have him play with a little more of an edge. I'd rather him have a little more penalty minutes if that means he's working even harder to make a play. I'm not saying i want him to have 50 minutes a year or anything like that.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:09 PM
Coach

Give Matt Moulson some love and let the Islanders win something for a change.

I may be somewhat biased on this because I watch Moulson play far more regularly than Campbell or Eberle, but we usually ridicule this award for the winner being a soft player. But Matt Moulson has made a living the past 3 years by going to the front of the net and standing his ground, which has led to 3 straight 30-goal seasons, and career highs in goals and points this past year. That's not an area of the ice where soft players are likely to hang around too much. Scrums develop, and while Moulson doesn't do anything to escalate situations, I've never seen him run away from confrontation either. He's clean, but I really don't view him as at all soft watching him play the game.

Eberle will win without a doubt given that he plays for a Canadian team with more media attention than the Islanders or Panthers, plus he's got that whole reputation carrying over from his pre-NHL days. Not to say Eberle's not deserving, but I'd give it to Moulson.

Tags
2011-12, brian campbell, jordan eberle, lady byng, matt moulson