Go Back   hockeyfights.com forums > NHL Forums > NHL Chat

View Poll Results: Who wins this trophy?
Patrick Kane 43 44.33%
Nicklas Backstrom 33 34.02%
Jonathan Toews 21 21.65%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-15-2008, 03:09 PM
Coach

Calder Trophy 2007-08

The Calder Memorial Trophy is an annual award given "to the player selected as the most proficient in his first year of competition in the National Hockey League."[

Nominees:

Patrick Kane
Nicklas Backstrom
Jonathan Toews
Advertisement
Old 05-15-2008, 06:20 PM
Coach

Toews was holding this thing down until he ran into injury trouble. And while Backstrom got off to a slow start, he turned into an outstanding player down the stretch and was key in the Caps qualifying for the playoffs. I give it to Backstrom, although Kane had a very good season as well. This was a real strong rookie class.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:27 PM
Hall of Famer

Patrick Kane will win it. He had the most points out of all three, so that might just seal it. Backstrom had a good year and his team did a lot better - but he had Ovechkin on his team, not to mention a good coach. So I wouldn't use that as a reason to pick him as the winner.

It's a shame that Jonathan Toews got hurt this year though, or he might have won it. He had 54 points in 64 games, so had he played all 82 games like Kane did, he would have had just as many points. Toews also led all rookies in goals and power play goals. Pretty impressive.

Missing around 20 games pretty much makes it a given that he won't win, although he kind of deserves it. In the games that he did play in, he did really well. So tough luck for him. This kid will be very good with his combo of size and skill.

So Kane should win, but that's because Toews missed time with an injury. Had that not happened, I think I'd be voting for him.

"Boom, roasted."

Formerly Wes McSnipes
Old 05-15-2008, 11:18 PM
Hall of Famer

Kane deserves to win just because his line mates arnt as good as Backstrom and yet he still was able to compete with the man, if Towes was healthy he would have won it and some could still argue for him.
Old 05-16-2008, 01:08 AM
Super All-Star

Towes would have won this if he didnt get injured, Backstrom was too streaky

Kane hands down
Old 05-16-2008, 02:57 PM
Hall of Famer

I had to vote for Backstrom on this one. Had a good regular season, and followed it up with a great playoff run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnoaj8b2bGM
Old 05-16-2008, 03:05 PM
Coach

Going with Backstrom, but I think Kane will win it.
Old 05-16-2008, 03:22 PM
Hall of Famer

Gotta go with Kane

0321 00'-05' Celer Silens Mortalis
Old 05-16-2008, 05:21 PM
Super All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes McSnipes View Post
It's a shame that Jonathan Toews got hurt this year though, or he might have won it. He had 54 points in 64 games, so had he played all 82 games like Kane did, he would have had just as many points. Toews also led all rookies in goals and power play goals. Pretty impressive.
It would have definitely been close if Toews played all 82. As far as NHL.com says, Kane had .88 P/G, and Toews had .84, so obviously you never know what will happen on any given night and especially throught an entire seaon, but given what we actually do know, Toews would be lookin at around 68 - 69 points.

So yeah it would have been nice to see him play the whole year. It would have made the race that much more interesting.

My vote still goes for Kane.