Go Back   hockeyfights.com forums > Minors, Juniors, College and International > Juniors > QMJHL

Old 01-25-2010, 04:11 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Garnet Exelby would love to see the National Hockey League take a cue from the Patrice Cormier suspension.

I would argue that over the years, especially in our league, that when a situation like that happens, if it is a star player who did it, maybe they are more lenient, and if the star player is the victim, maybe the suspension is a little harsher, the Maple Leafs defenceman said after practice on Monday. I am pretty sure the league would never agree with that. But as far as keeping it fair for everybody, it is something to look toward.

Its important to get vicious hits out of the game, Kings coach Terry Murray said. Take the instigator out of the game. Let the players take care of it. I know the dangers of bench-clearing brawls ... but sometimes players must be accountable to (other) players.
TORONTO SUN

- Sloth
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BROKEN*ORBITAL For This Useful Post:
goaliefighter (01-26-2010), theknuckler (01-25-2010)
Advertisement
Old 01-25-2010, 04:22 PM
Super All-Star

It's what I expected but not what I would have like to see. Let's say the kid got up angry and shook it off. How long would the suspenion be, if there was one at all? I don't think the result of a hit should affect the punishment, rather the hit itself. Yea the elbow was up but we have seen worse elbows with less reprecussions.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:39 PM
All-Star

Ulnlike the Liambas suspension I agree with this one. It wasnt to harsh but was no slap on the wrist either. He injured Tam, and hurt his teammates with the length of teh suspension and I am sure he is appologetic. Hopefully everyone in this moves on to better times ahead.

Very rarely do I agree with these types of suspensions (the only other real one I can think of off the top of my head I agreed with was the Jesse Boulerice lifetime ban in the O), but I think the Q did the right thing. It was a bad act and a bad result, yet keeping in tune with the game of hockey as a physical colision sport he did the right thing in terms of length and punishment.

It raises the question in my head has hockey in the junior ranks become better by eliminating the fighting and brawl aspect for this? The product seems as exciting as ever but would rather let the emotions flow in a fight, brawl or bench clearing brawl rather than the elbow or the stick to the head which seems the thing to do so to write.
The Following User Says Thank You to arktoshorse For This Useful Post:
theknuckler (01-25-2010)
Old 01-25-2010, 05:19 PM
Hall of Famer

ive always thought the suspension should be double the time it takes for the hurt player to get back on NHL ice..providing the hit/assualt shows an intent to injure, as this fkr tried to do. odds are he didnt try to hurt that dude as bad as he did, but it was a deliberate intention to hurt him, worst of all, for no reason.that mofo stopped breathing, he easily could have died, thats someone's son/brother etc.. and again it was done for no other reason then to hurt him..i mean really.. whats next? whats it gotta take before a creep like that realizes you just cant do that kinda sh*t..

Feed her !! Feed her !!! Swallow it biitch !!!
Old 01-25-2010, 05:24 PM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadWolf1171 View Post
ive always thought the suspension should be double the time it takes for the hurt player to get back on NHL ice..
I don't the return to NHL ice is valid in this case.....

But in regard to your first point, what if Tam had got up and taken his next shift, do you think that would be worthy of no suspension?

I don't think the argument linking suspensions to the injuries is really a good idea both ways.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:32 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatatonicMoose View Post
I don't the return to NHL ice is valid in this case.....

But in regard to your first point, what if Tam had got up and taken his next shift, do you think that would be worthy of no suspension?

I don't think the argument linking suspensions to the injuries is really a good idea both ways.
no i think he shoulda been suspended regardless if he shook it off or was out for 3 weeks. a normal suspension fitting for an elbow w/o injury, but in the case where the player is out for 4 or 6 weeks,, 8 or 12 for the offending player. tell me this, if you were the offending player would you throw that elbow if you knew your suspension would be 4 weeks if the player you elbowed would be out for 2 weeks?

Old 01-25-2010, 05:43 PM
General Manager

Quote:
no i think he shoulda been suspended regardless if he shook it off or was out for 3 weeks. a normal suspension fitting for an elbow w/o injury, but in the case where the player is out for 4 or 6 weeks,, 8 or 12 for the offending player. tell me this, if you were the offending player would you throw that elbow if you knew your suspension would be 4 weeks if the player you elbowed would be out for 2 weeks?
When you're in that position i doubt that comes into your mind, and also a lot of these hits, guys hit to hurt/make the opponents know you're there but I very much doubt they have the intention of causing injury for any length of time. Very reckless yes but I doubt in an incident like that the intention was to injure your opponent and put them out for a while.

It's just not workable, an innocuous infraction could put someone out for 3/4 months, do you really think a suspension of 6/8 months to that would be fair?

Then what if someone else delivered something far worse and far more reckless but the victim returns a few days later. Do you suspend them 9/10 months?
Old 01-25-2010, 06:05 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
When you're in that position i doubt that comes into your mind, and also a lot of these hits, guys hit to hurt/make the opponents know you're there but I very much doubt they have the intention of causing injury for any length of time. Very reckless yes but I doubt in an incident like that the intention was to injure your opponent and put them out for a while.

It's just not workable, an innocuous infraction could put someone out for 3/4 months, do you really think a suspension of 6/8 months to that would be fair?

Then what if someone else delivered something far worse and far more reckless but the victim returns a few days later. Do you suspend them 9/10 months?
players have time to think about not dropping the gloves first to avoid the instigator penalty, so thinking about skating across the ice, fresh off the bench, leaving your feet and elbowing a player no where near the puck in the head with an elbow, yeah i think they can remember to not do that. maybe doubling the suspension is overkill,but damn man guys like this fool got to realize wtf theyre doing.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:13 PM
General Manager

Quote:
players have time to think about not dropping the gloves first to avoid the instigator penalty, so thinking about skating across the ice, fresh off the bench, leaving your feet and elbowing a player no where near the puck in the head with an elbow, yeah i think they can remember to not do that.
Actually that hit would have been legal if he'd finished it clean. Tam had just dumped the puck in, Cormier was entitled to finish his check, just no where near the way he did. Cormier headed for Tam because he had the puck. I don't think Cormier came off the bench with the intention of elbowing Tam, but when he realised he was going to miss his check, he stuck out his elbow. It was split second but not something you want to see ever.

The suspension fits the crime but I don't buy the theory that that was his intention when he came off the bench, not in an important game in overtime.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:25 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Actually that hit would have been legal if he'd finished it clean. Tam had just dumped the puck in, Cormier was entitled to finish his check, just no where near the way he did. Cormier headed for Tam because he had the puck. I don't think Cormier came off the bench with the intention of elbowing Tam, but when he realised he was going to miss his check, he stuck out his elbow. It was split second but not something you want to see ever.

The suspension fits the crime but I don't buy the theory that that was his intention when he came off the bench, not in an important game in overtime.
i stand corrected, when i initally watched the video i didnt realize he had just dumped the puck,i was just in awe over the elbow, i do see plays similiar as to " sticking an elbow out or knee out" and yeah it is split second thinking, almost natural. i just hate seeing someone's kid almost die or permanitely injured from something like this,, the bertuzzi incident comes to mind, as that kid (cant remember his name) hasnt played since yet bert still does.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:07 PM
Pro

Quote:

Cormier is known as a player that throws elbows. Throw him out of the game. But only do that after the NHL throws out all the divers. They need to start calling the diving penalty more, it's starting to get ****ing ridiculous.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:09 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gage55 View Post
It's what I expected but not what I would have like to see. Let's say the kid got up angry and shook it off. How long would the suspenion be, if there was one at all? I don't think the result of a hit should affect the punishment, rather the hit itself. Yea the elbow was up but we have seen worse elbows with less reprecussions.
Unless the kid's name is Bruce Banner, I don't think that would be happening after an elbow to the face like that. Get a clue.

- Sloth
Old 01-26-2010, 12:18 AM
Minor Leaguer

Funny how Liambas gets 53 games + playoffs and Cormier only gets like around 20 + playoffs. IMHO I dont even think Liambas should of been suspended for one game.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:20 AM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFights1 View Post
Funny how Liambas gets 53 games + playoffs and Cormier only gets like around 20 + playoffs. IMHO I dont even think Liambas should of been suspended for one game.
Cormier cant' be suspended anymore. That's his junior career done. He had 0% chance of being back next year regardless.
Old 01-30-2010, 04:59 AM
Hall of Famer

Kinda reminds me of Domi and Neidermayer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPbN72u4hxs

Tags
mikael tam, patrice cormier, quebec remparts, rouyn-noranda huskies