Go Back   hockeyfights.com forums > Minors, Juniors, College and International > Euro > EIHL

Old 02-07-2013, 01:46 PM
News Junkie

EIHL Suspends Greg Stewart (9 Games), Vince Connon (3 Games) and Ryan Hand (1 Game)

Belfast Giants forward Gregory Stewart has been banned for a total of nine matches by the Rapid Solicitors Elite League disciplinary committee.

Stewart was assessed a two-minute minor in Belfast's match at Cardiff Devils on Sunday 3rd February 2013. After a request for supplementary discipline by the Devils, and a subsequent review by the committee, this has been increased to a match penalty for checking to the head and carries a three-match ban.

The Devils requested supplementary discipline in another incident involving Stewart in the same game. After a review of the game DVD, a match penalty for kneeing has been assessed on Stewart and he will be banned for a further three matches.

With there being two serious match penalties during the game, Stewart has had an extra three matches added by the disciplinary committee to make a total of nine matches. The extra three matches can be appealed against.

Head of discipline, Simon Kirkham, said: "These two incidents in the game were worthy of match penalties and, after a review by the committee, we have decided to impose the minimum tariff for each incident.

"As both incidents are nasty and happen in the same game, we have decided to add an extra three matches to make a total of nine."

Daymen Rycroft
Hull Stingrays requested supplementary discipline on Belfast Giants forward Daymen Rycroft for an incident in the game on Saturday 2nd February 2013.

Kirkham said: "The minor penalty call for interference is the correct call. We do not feel there is clear evidence of a blindside hit."

Dundee Stars v Fife Flyers (Sunday 3rd February 2013)
Dundee Stars forward Vince Connon has been banned for three matches following a request for supplementary discipline by the Fife Flyers.

Connon was assessed a 5+game penalty in the encounter between Dundee and Fife on Sunday 3rd February 2013 and, after a review, this has been upgraded to a match penalty. The minimum tariff for the offence is three matches.

Meanwhile, Fife also requested supplementary discipline for an incident involving Dundee's Jeff Hutchins.

Kirkham said: "From the video evidence provided and the report for the referee, we are unable to get a clear view of the incident.

"We are therefore unable to assess a major penalty on Hutchins."

Ryan Hand
Hull Stingrays forward Ryan Hand will serve a one-match ban following the accumulation of six 10-minute misconduct penalties.

Last edited by chilly666; 02-07-2013 at 01:49 PM.
Advertisement
Old 02-08-2013, 07:21 AM
Hall of Famer

I don't get how other teams can "request supplementary discipline". Can't the league do their job and not take suggestions from teams?

Quote:
With there being two serious match penalties during the game, Stewart has had an extra three matches added by the disciplinary committee to make a total of nine matches. The extra three matches can be appealed against.
Seems EIHL is suspension happy. Randomly extending suspensions.

Quote:
Connon was assessed a 5+game penalty in the encounter between Dundee and Fife on Sunday 3rd Februar
That's specific. What did he do?!

Quote:
Hull Stingrays forward Ryan Hand will serve a one-match ban following the accumulation of six 10-minute misconduct penalties.
Accumulation suspensions are the dumbest thing.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:58 AM
Hall of Famer

Not sure where it went wrong with Greg Stewart. He showed some promise with the Habs and looked like a decent fourth liner with some fighting skill but just seemed to lose it altogether.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:34 AM
News Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaud19 View Post
I don't get how other teams can "request supplementary discipline". Can't the league do their job and not take suggestions from teams?

Seems EIHL is suspension happy. Randomly extending suspensions.

That's specific. What did he do?!

Accumulation suspensions are the dumbest thing.
sometimes i wonder if you just post to post...you come off as an idiot sometimes. teams in the nhl can request the same thing if they think a hit is dirty too. match penalties are deemed intent to injure hence why the additional games (you should know the rule).

not every incident is released. it could have been in the box score, did you think to look and see before posting? try it.

accumulation suspensions are for repeat offenders (obvious i hope) and "punish" them for it.

every time there is a suspension, you cry and bitch because you aren't fully informed of it or understand the reasons behind them. do some research please
Old 02-08-2013, 02:32 PM
Hall of Famer

Stewart-Smith - YouTube

Stewart-Faulkner - YouTube

Last edited by chilly666; 02-08-2013 at 07:25 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:49 AM
News Junkie

A three-man appeals committee met on Thursday 14th February 2013 following an appeal by the Belfast Giants concerning forward Gregory Stewart.

Stewart was handed a nine-match ban following two incidents in Belfast’s game at Cardiff Devils on Sunday 3rd February 2013.

The forward was given a three-match ban for kneeing and a three-match ban for checking to the head, while an extra three matches were added following a review by the disciplinary committee.

The appeals committee has decided the extra three matches should be quashed and Stewart’s ban has been downgraded to six matches.

Stewart has already served one of these matches, at Nottingham Panthers last Wednesday, and so will miss Belfast’s next five matches.