hockeyfights.com forums

hockeyfights.com forums (http://www.hockeyfights.com/forums/)
-   Tales From the Bus (http://www.hockeyfights.com/forums/f104/)
-   -   Old time WHL Sluggers (http://www.hockeyfights.com/forums/f104/old-time-whl-sluggers-174220/)

desperateman 06-04-2012 05:58 AM

Old time WHL Sluggers

I've watched the WHL since 1970. I've seen more than a few of the nasty types over the years. Here are a few of the good ones I saw drop the mitts.
SHANE CHURLA -83-85
DAVE BROWN - 80-82
DARYL STANLEY - 79-82
JOEY KOCUR - 82-84
BARRY BECK - 73-77
GORD LANE - 70-73
BOB GASSOFF -71-73
TORRIE ROBERTSON - 76-81
LARRY PLAYFAIR - 74-78
LEIGH VERSTRAETE - 78-82
DARIN KIMBLE - 84-88
BORIS FISTRIC - 77-80
RYAN ANDRES - 96-99
BOB FLEMING - 78-82
DARYL ANHOLT - 80-82
DEREK DAVIS - 78-81
CURT FRASER - 74- 78
TODD EWEN - 82-86
LINK GAETZ - 86-88
STEPHEN PEAT - 95-00
TONY TWIST
Needless to say this is not even close to a complete list.

desperateman 06-05-2012 07:49 AM

More WHL Jr league Sluggers

Quite a few of these guys played in the NHL. And they all could chuck them.
LEROY GORSKI
SHELDON CURRIE
GORD KLUZAK
JIM MCTAGGART
TERRY JOHNSON
ARCHIE HENDERSON
BRIAN SUTTER
PAUL BAXTER
GREG TEBBUTT
JOHN PADDOCK
KEVIN SCHAMEHORN
DENNIS POLONICH
JERRY ROLLINS
STU GRIMSON
BRYAN WELLS
MARK JANSSENS
LYLE ODELEIN
KELLY CHASE
WENDEL CLARK
KERRY CLARK
DAVE MANSON
KEN BAUMGARTNER
KELLY BUCHBERGER
ROD BUSKAS
GLEN COCHRANE

desperateman 06-07-2012 08:43 AM

Still more WHL SLUGGERS

John kordic
cam neely
brian curran
perry turnbull
randy turnbull
gary nylund
ian tennant
grant morin
mel hewitt
brent gogol
paul mulvey
phil russell
bob nystrom
grant mulvey
tiger williams
terry ruskowski
mel bridgman
bryan maxwell
brad maxwellkim clackson
dave hoyda
roy sommer
stan smyl
ray markham
jim nill
duane sutter
lindy ruff
tim hunter
don nachbaur
larry melnyk
ray neufeld
dirk graham
bob mcgill
laurie boschman
garth butcher
randy moller
dean kennedy
al tuer
lyndon byers
richard zemlak

zoli 06-08-2012 02:02 AM

That's quite a list, desperateman. Too bad not much footage is out there from the 80s with those guys except some rare team tapes. Any chance you were able to see some Vukota scraps?

He had a 3 year stint in the W and had some memorable ones with the likes of Gaetz, Stark etc. He was dropped by Larry DePalma in his rookie season, who had quite a reputation too. Fortunately more and more stuff got out in the 90s, so we have the opportunity to watch Scott Parker's entire WHL career, a few seasons from Peat, Godard, Orr, Boogaard or Fritz.

desperateman 06-09-2012 04:16 AM

Vukota

The MICKSTER! Saw him in a few scraps. A pretty good fighter though i did see Doug Houda of the Calgary Wranglers wail on him once. DePalma was no sissy in the fist dept. I miss the old days when 200 mins was nothing.

desperateman 06-09-2012 04:47 AM

and more WHL sluggers

Tony Horecek

doug houda
mick vukota
jim agnew
David Mc kay
Richard Pilon
ken daneyko
dean chynoweth
brad miller
jeff crawford
dean ewen
greg batters
brent thompson
reid simpson
jim mckenzie
scott daniels

desperateman 06-11-2012 06:25 AM

Still more WHL sluggers

Dean Malkoc
Jeff Odgers
Kevin Chevalayoff
Troy Arndt
James Latos
Wes Rypien
Robin Gomez
Mike Egener
Ray Schultz
Alan May
Craig Berube
Dale Kushner
Jim Vandermeer
Len Barrie
Paul Kruse
Tyson Nash
Len Frig

I like Boobs 07-13-2012 03:07 AM

One of my favorite old school stories from the WHL was when Odelein was playing Juniors with the Moose Jaw Warriors. His hands were beat up from fighting and his teammates and coaches knew it... Basically he was hurt so bad he could hardly grip his stick because they were infected... Something happened during the game and Odelein ended up fighting one of the heavies in the league (Mark Janssens) and took a beating because he could hardly throw. The coach of the Warriors, Gerry James, traded all 5 players on the ice the next day (including the goaltender) because nobody came to Odelein's aid.

Quote:

Odelein shone in James gang
RED FISHER. The Montreal Gazette. Dec 24, 1995

Last Monday's late-game heavyweight bout involving Hartford's Mark Janssens and Canadiens forward Rocky Recchi had Lyle Odelein thinking back to his junior hockey days.

It seems that one night, Odelein's Moose Jaw team went into Saskatoon, where he got into fist fights with a couple of chaps named Wendel Clark and Kelly Chase. These western boys don't fool around when they start swinging. Odelein came out of his 12-rounders with raw knuckles that quickly became infected.

``I've got to get these things fixed in the hospital,'' Odelein told Moose Jaw coach Gerry James, who was an ornery piece of work himself during his career with the Toronto Maple Leafs.

``Play one more game,'' James urged. ``I need you against Regina.''

Odelein, needless to say, agreed. After all, hadn't coach James once told him: `Kid, you ain't gonna make it to the NHL on talent.' (It may be the best advice Odelein received in his career.)

Moose Jaw and Regina players didn't particularly like one another in those days. They still don't, it's imagined. Janssens didn't like Odelein. Fight time.

``I can't fight,'' Odelein told Janssens. ``I've got bad hands.''

Ordinarily, the tough-guy code would have prompted Janssens to look elsewhere for a head to hit, but not on this night. The remaining Moose Jaw players watched with interest while Janssens administered a thrashing to Odelein.

There was, however, a happy ending to the story.

The next day, coach James traded the five on-ice players, including the goaltender, who had failed to come to Odelein's aid.

arktoshorse 11-16-2012 12:57 PM

Nice thread, not a heavywieght, but gotta get Steve Jaques name in here. He told me some intersting stories and details with his fights with Tony Twist.

dodywood4ever 03-27-2013 11:40 PM

Went to all the Bronco games in the late 80's thru til around 2003. Some names:

Malkoc
Clayton Norris
Dody Wood
Jason Renard
Keith McCambridge
Brent Bilodeau and Darren Perkins both had epic battles with Cam Danyluk.
Rhett Trombley
Shawn Yakimishyn
Brantt Myhers
Rocky Thompson
Rob Trumbley
Derek Arbez
Tony Mohagen
Matt Van Horlick

dipandmitts 04-01-2013 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I like Boobs (Post 2493441)
One of my favorite old school stories from the WHL was when Odelein was playing Juniors with the Moose Jaw Warriors. His hands were beat up from fighting and his teammates and coaches knew it... Basically he was hurt so bad he could hardly grip his stick because they were infected... Something happened during the game and Odelein ended up fighting one of the heavies in the league (Mark Janssens) and took a beating because he could hardly throw. The coach of the Warriors, Gerry James, traded all 5 players on the ice the next day (including the goaltender) because nobody came to Odelein's aid.

Great story, thnx boobs

mike56 04-02-2013 09:28 PM

Waiting for a Brad Houghton reply/input.When I get bored I go to drop your gloves and look up the 70-80s fighters.They were a lot smaller then.