Here's what we know about the gunman (or gunmen) so far:
• CBS identified the shooter as 24-year-old Ryan Lanza, but The New York Post reports the shooter was 20-year-old Adam Lanza. (The wrong Ryan Lanza may have been pictured on CBS and Fox.)
• The gunman was reportedly wearing all black, a mask and a bullet-proof vest while carrying Glock and Sig Sauer 9mm handgun. Officials tell CBS News that a .223 caliber rifle was found in his car, and that all of the guns were legally purchased by Ryan Lanza.
• NBC reports that the gunman shot and killed his mother, who was a kindergarten teacher at the school, at the scene. The shooter died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound in the kindergarten classroom after firing dozens of rounds in two rooms.
• USA Today reports that the police searched a home in the Sandy Hook part of Newtown, owned by Lanza's parents, and found reportedly the body of Lanza's father.
• A senior law enforcement official tells CNN says one of the brothers of the shooter was found dead in a home searched in Hoboken, New Jersey.
• An official tells AP that the girlfriend and friend of Ryan Lanza are missing in New Jersey.
• AP reports that the suspect 's brother is being held. It's not clear if the brother was the person found in the woods near the school wearing camouflage pants and a black jacket who told parents at the scene that he "did not do it." The New York Post says the brother — who they identify as Ryan as opposed to Adam — is not a suspect.
• Authorities are “not locked in on the idea that this is the act of one single shooter.”
18 children were pronounced deceased on site and 2 passed a way in a hospital.