View Single Post
Old 08-02-2012, 10:59 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjack View Post
I was there-it was February 14 of 1979 and Don Maloney's first game as a Ranger. The Rangers held the Bruins without a shot in the first period and won 5-1!
They danced and never fought!
Why do I remember so much?
It was also the day that George Young was hired from the Miami Dolphins to save the Giants as their new GM. He would shock the fans a few months later by making a bold move in drafting Phil Simms from tiny Morehead State after hiring Ray Perkins as the Head Coach! All the experts had him drafting Jack Thompson, the Throwin Samoan!
This day is embedded in my brain!
Don Maloney was a breath of fresh air for Phil Esposito, who finally had a corner man like he had in Boston in Wayne Cashman and the 37 year old Esposito went on to score 42 goals and then in the playoffs scored 8 goals and 20 points in 18 games!
Valentines's Day of 1979!
BJ - am starting to think that you are some type of savant with that recall - incredible!
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the decision that something else is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all." Fear always springs from ignorance."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BaddaBing Badda Boom For This Useful Post:
bigjack (08-02-2012)