As I said in my review of the Grier side, I Tivo'd the game and went over this fight in slow motion several times.
Lets just mention before we start that this is at the end of the game, and Hannan logs A-LOT of minutes. If this had occured in the first period, Hannan has a good chance of shredding Smithson.
1) Hannan is furthest from the fight against the opposite boards when this occurs
2) Hannan skates up the blue line *hard* and blatantly picks out Smithson from the crowd
3) When Hannan grabs Smithson, it is obvious from the review in slow motion that Smithson has no idea that Hannan is in for business
4) Hannan drops his gloves as they grapple in close on the boards, bouncing off Tootoo vs. Clowe and Grier vs. Hartnell
5) In the right hand of your screen you can see Goc and Mclaren grappling with people- Goc takes his person off towards the Center-line while Mclaren exchanges cheap shots to the chin wiht his man (they never dropped their gloves- Smart on Mclarens' part- Hannan is already dumping bombs - having the two top Defenseman out of the lineup would be stupid)
6) Hannan starts dumping on Smithson, and Smithson just bear hugs for dear life
7) they spin off from the fight, and Smithson pounds his fist on the side Hannan's helmet
8) Hannan is exhausted, and gets in a couple of good shots, but then you can see on his face that he is done, so he cattle-trips Smithson to the ice and buries his head into the ice.
hannan is a pretty cool customer most of the time, was rather surprised to see him in this. I'm sure Smithson was regretting his choice to take Hannan on when the latter nearly squished his head like a grape.
as I said about the Clowe vs. Tootoo fight, the Preds should do some serious back-watching for Game 3, especially for those legendary Kyle McLaren hip checks
The Smithson-Hannan part of that nice large anarchic whatever-it-was, at least the part I could see, looked not like a fight, but rather like a minor disagreement over who got to be the big spoon. Hehe spooning is awesome...just not in hockey.